View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
A slightly spicier shade of red and green this season 

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Habanero and Jalapeno.

Attachments:
File comment: Bele-G Hot Sauce.
Bele-G Hot Sauce.jpg
Bele-G Hot Sauce.jpg [ 37.87 KiB | Viewed 13501 times ]
Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 pm

OK, maybe the logo distorts a little with the curvature of the bottle and angle of the photo.

And maybe no one remembers that ベレーG is slang for Bellett GT.

Attachments:
Bele-G Hot Sauce Label.jpg
Bele-G Hot Sauce Label.jpg [ 8.1 KiB | Viewed 13474 times ]
Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
they are cool! id certainly try some?
do they help the car or the owner go faster?

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:59 pm

mrflibbles wrote:
they are cool! id certainly try some?
do they help the car or the owner go faster?

Probably just make the owner move faster, and in certain situations may make the owner wish the car would move faster.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
That's a spicy enchilada.

Where did you find that?

Doesn't look offically Isuzu endorsed... but I'm still itching to put it on my tacos!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:44 am
Profile WWW

dave wrote:
Where did you find that?

It's homemade gifts this year. It was either that or send out little cards saying "I 'clicked to watch' this thing for you, but don't have money to buy it for you."

I have not yet managed to get any relatives to teach me how to build a whiskey still, and my friend will not lend me a rice cooker so I could make sake. So it was down to cooking and bottling two gallons of hot sauce.

Tying it in with the car seemed appropriate given the car being a hot little number too. Not sure how Mexican and Latin sauce goes with Japanese food though. It might be OK with Japanese curry. Or I could be responding to a lot of letters asking what the heck to do with it, and how a taco is not the same as a tako (octopus).

If a lot of Belletts and Geminis start going onto the used car market at the end of January, being sold by the surviving relatives of the owners, then we will all know the great hot sauce adventure came to a terrible end. You'd swear it was already a chemical weapon while cooking it, before it milds down after simmering for a couple days. But if I come up with a seriously hot recipe, I'll have to name it GT-R.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:06 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
those are great, i think its a great gift idea its not always how much you spend on someone but what you put into the gift.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:26 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
So true Flibb's, especially a gift they will remember you for a looooong time :oops: :P :oops: :P

B.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:37 am

No green this year.
The comment I got was that the Habanero sauce was very good, and the Jalapeno did not get mentioned. I was not happy with the Jalapeno sauce anyway.

I downsized from a 12 ounce bottle size, to a more sane 5 ounce bottle size.

From Left to Right:

Left: Habanero Sauce.
Same recipe as last year, but there were no red habanero peppers available, only orange. We had a very bad year for growing vegetables. I even planted a bunch of pepper plants to grow peppers myself instead of buying them at the store. From 8 plants, I got six peppers. So I went with store bought orange, and the sauce came out a color between brown and green, but the taste is the same as last year. Again, milded down by simmering for a long time, and adding some cane sugar.

Middle: Chipotle Sauce.
Planting the peppers had a secondary motivation. Chipotle peppers are jalapeno peppers that have been allowed to ripen to red, and are then smoke dried. The stores sell only green jalapeno peppers. I did actually get some red jalapenos out of the plants, but ended up with a small ziplock sandwich bag full after drying them out. So finding red peppers involved a 120 mile drive to a farm in the state next door. Then running three bags of charcoal and four bags of wood into the smoker over a couple weeks. And some failed attempts at a recipe. But it ended up pretty good, sort of a reddish brownish color, smokey flavor, and a little spicier than I expected.

Right: Pepper Vinegar.
This is apparently popular in Southern and Soul Food. I stumbled across it as a good tool for blending ultra-hot-store-bought-sauces down from dragging-your-tongue-across-the-ground, to mere-heavy-perspiration hotness level. Pepper vinegar is apparently also popular in Asia, there is a pretty big section in the international grocery. So I gave it a shot, and it turned out pretty decent.

Attachments:
Bele-G Hot Sauce 2012.jpg
Bele-G Hot Sauce 2012.jpg [ 39.63 KiB | Viewed 12997 times ]
Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:20 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
That's so cool, I mean hot, JT. I've always thought there was a connection between hot GT's and hot sauce. This goes to show it's true. Less than 100 HP, but a powerfull kick to it ;)

Keep up the tradition,

B.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]