View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
D Max 2012 

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Anyone looked at the new D Max? Nice vehicle!!
Inside the from cover of the brochure, they have pictures from the Wasp through to the previous model, I.E. 2011 D Max!
Great brochure!

Lookin at retirement and an LS-U hopefully!!! Power noew is up slightly to 130 kw, the torque is up much more to 380 nm, available from 1800 revs, right through to 3000 revs brilliant!
Most of its competitors torque comes in at 2000 and higher revs, take the Colorado for example, same kw bar 2 kw, torque is 470 nm, however not available until 2000 revs and cuts out earlier than the D Max..
The write ups they are getting are very good and in one mag clearly stating it is a better vehicle all around compared to all its competitors including the VW Amorak.
Hmmm VERY INTERESTING!
Dave M.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
ALL they need to do is make it into a WAGON!
Commooooooooon! :P

Cheers mate.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Wouldn't that be nice, a GREAT tow vehicle for our Caravan, Marg would even agree to that idea, she thinks the D Max Ute is a truck, I am having great trouble convincing otherwise when they advertise they way they do, even whe the motor is that same as in their smaller trucks, damn it women!!!
D.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Wheels tells me the Colorado 7 (7 seat SUV) is due out fourth quarter 2012.

It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right...........

Would be nice, might even get me in the showroom.
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:28 pm

That being the case, I would think that maybe, just maybe, seeing they use virtually the same body, ISUZU might jump in also! WOULD BE EVEN BETTER :o
The diesel motor in the Colorado is an untried quantity out here as it is, I believe, an Americam motor, yes it has more torque than the D Max, 470 nm as against 380 nm in the D Max, however the KW are almost identical, 132 kw Colorado, 130 kw D Max.
I might be very biased, (I wonder why? :lol: ) I like the D Max appearance more than the Colorado. In fact I like the previous model D Max better than the new Colorado also. ;)
Dave M.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:51 am

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Hey guys, I am a bit confused. Why have two similar utilities been marketed/sold by two different companies for the last 2 or so years.

Both vehicles as far as I know are being assembled in Thailand from Isuzu sourced parts and the Colorado has the choice of Petrol and Diesel engines albeit slightly different as you highlighted Dave.

Is this based on the old arrangement locked in by Holden that they could sell the Rodeo for numerous years which maybe about to end and ISUZU ute will take over sales eventually?

Cheers,
Lewis

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:33 am
Profile WWW

The way I understand it Lewis, is both are built in Thailand, but in separate Isuzu factories.
This at first seemed strange, but then I read that D-Max is the biggest selling single vehicle model in the world. It seems one factory isn't enough!

Cheers, Matt.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
I was under the impression that the previous Rodeo/Colorado generation would be the last developed and built by Isuzu, following their sale by GM to Toyota, however this latest Colorado definitely seems to match the D-Max body-wise.

Perhaps Chevrolet's influence and $$ (mostly influence, they have no $$s!!!) convinced Isuzu to continue to develop and build the vehicles; they're certainly not the first automotive gun for hire (see this article for some more - http://www.garageofawesome.com.au/index ... -they-were).

Hey Farmer, you could always get a D-Max and put a canopy on it!

I am sure they're a good car, but I'm not sure I will ever need THAT much machine with THAT much lack-of-cornering prowess.... will stick to the elderly Lexus for the time being!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:58 pm
Profile WWW

Guys,

The two vehicles share many body panels, I think the D Max is the better looking of the two! :)
Isuzu has bought back ALL the shares that GMH had and have decided to go it alone, although sharing the assembly factories, the mecahniclas are quite different.
As previously mentioned the engines are different, with varying power output, the D Max power is availble from 1800 revs, with a wide power band, the Colorado power comes in at 2000 revs with a shorter power band and runs a smaller capacity engine, I think is either 2.7 or 2.8 litre, from the US, whereas the D Max has stuck with the 3000 liter engine modified to increase fuel economy and increase power. ;) 200 revs doesw not sound like much, however it means a considerable difference in diesel engines, when towing etc..
The D Max has a 5 speed auto, the Colorado has a 6 speed auto! (my wife will only drive an auto :evil: )

How long they will share body parts and be so similar, only the manufacturers would know I would think.
All very interesting stuff, BUT I still like the new and the old D Max. :D
Dave M.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:44 am

Gents, it is a shame ISUZU don't p#@%% GMH off all together! :x
As Matt said it would be very nice if ISUZU came out with a 7 seater!! :shock:

Personally, I think the front treatment of the Colorado is ugly :x and the D Max is a far better looking vehicle. The thing that will unfortunately effect the sale of the D Max is it produces 90 NM less torque than the Colorado, 380 against 470, however there is only 2 KW difference in the power rating, 130 kw as against 132 kw. The torque, as previously stated, is useable at lower revs in the D Max compared to the Colorado. :roll: which should equate to better fuel economy :roll:

I am off to a D Max dealer this afternoon to "Talk Turkey", with the new model release deals I might be lucky???? 8-)
Catch ya later!!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Guys, you need to read up on it, apparently they are now built in different factories using the ISUZU Chassis and body panels, ISUZU Ute will be in a second factory by the end of 2012, with the Colorado using different front end treatment and running gear.
Isuzu Ute is using the Isuzu diesel engine from their 2 1/2 tonne trucks re tuned, the same 5 speed auto gearbox as is used in the 200 series Landcruiser, the manual 5 speeeder is the Isuzu version, where as it seems GMH have used bits and pieces from around the globe. (nasty aren't I). :lol:

I found a lot of information out from a magazine called "Delivery", I had not heard of it before, however it had 2 quite good write ups on the new D Max that took my eye in a Newsagency in Mudgee.
Don't knock the D Max too soon, with this new model they have moved ahead in leaps and bounds from the previous models in the handling and comfort department, all writes ups make this very clear.
The D Max reputation as a tow vehicle is exceptional, if you read some of the private users on the web site, all glowing reports. After all they were never designed to be a race car!! :lol:

Lewis,
The petrol engine in the Colorado is the Commode engine (oops sorry Commodore engine :lol: )!

BY THE WAY GENTS, I PICK MY NEW WHITE D MAX THIS FRIDAY! CANOPY, TOW KIT, TUB LINER AND TINTED WINDOWS. :D

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
well done Dave.
:mrgreen:
i am still a little concerned about fuel economy and as my driving is mainly city, need something just that bit smaller.
think it will have to be a SUV diesel with a tow capacity of 1700KG plus

but i am now a part owner of a single axle 1100KG tow rate car trailer. great for Bellett and other small 4 cylinder

oh yeah

:)

OZ

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
well done Dave.
:mrgreen:
i am still a little concerned about fuel economy and as my driving is mainly city, need something just that bit smaller.
think it will have to be a SUV diesel with a tow capacity of 1700KG plus

but i am now a part owner of a single axle 1100KG tow rate car trailer. great for Bellett and other small 4 cylinder

oh yeah

:)

OZ

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:21 am

Oz, Thank you. Watch this space for photos!
If I could borrow a trailer I would consider towing the GT to Merimbula with the D Max, :D however to hire a trailer up here is bloody expensive to say the least :( .
I have been spending a lot of time on the GT to bring it up to where I want it and trailering it would keep it that way, however I think I will be driving it to Merimbula, HOPEFULLY the weather will be kind to us all!!!

I deliberately have not gone for the Terrain in the D Max as I do not like leather seats, the other problem being according to a dealer in Sydney, you can have any colour leather seats you want as long as they are MAROON,YUK, :x I do not like that colour against the interior grey colours, besides leather is hot in summer and cold in winter, that is a personal choice I know, others might like leather ;)
HOWEVER in saying the above, that reversing camera would have been a great asset for hooking up to trailer or caravan :) !!

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 am

THE BEAST HAS ARRIVED, KERRY BRUTY PAID US A VISIT YESTERDAY AND CHECKED IT OUT!! :D
Looks great drives great, hopefully we will have a great time in another ISUZU product.

Hey Matt, rumour has it that 2014 might be the year for an ISUZU 7 seater!!! :o

See you all in Merimbula. :)

Dave M.

Attachments:
DSCF2375.JPG
DSCF2375.JPG [ 729.89 KiB | Viewed 24000 times ]
DSCF2373.JPG
DSCF2373.JPG [ 709.35 KiB | Viewed 24000 times ]

Last edited by 1968GT on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:37 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
nice one dave ...looks and i bet drives fantastic ...well done cheers davo ...see you soon

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:50 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
you might need to move that GPS Dave ?

In Vic anyway, they are supposed to be fitted in the right lower corner of the windscreen

and don't leave it there:- a guy at work had his car broken into to steal the GPS unit and for good measure, they slashed the front leather seats too ! PLus broke side window, car was off the road for a long time while they waited for spares from Japan

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:50 am
Profile WWW

I always remove it Glenn, it is only there while Marg had a drive, it gets in her way in the lower right hand corner, she is only very short and it gets into her vision "somehow"!!

Yes Dave, very tight at the moment if so a little slugish, given a few kilometers it will be great, no doubt. I have spoken to many owners and have not had any bad comments. 8-) It was bit confusing to start with, looking at the computer, ;) I couldn't figure out why the fuel increased when you backed off, most consumption it should reduce :?: :roll:
Eventually I figured it out, the D Max gives you klms per liter, not liters per 100 klms, a big diference when you are lookng at comsumption, I was a bit worried for a short while until I figured it out :lol: ALL GOOD NOW!! :D
With klms per liter when you back off, the klms per liter goes up very high into the 80 to 90 at times, under excelleration it goes back down to around 8 to 9 klms per liter :roll:
D.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:09 am

Car(s): not enough!
oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

its beautifullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ;)

GARYYYYYYYYYY'
I WANT ONE TOO!!!!!!! ;) :roll: :? :lol:

I hope he is listening!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS

VERY GOOOD!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 am
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
hey dave is yours dmax tubo or not , if yes what size motor i believe its 2.8 with no intercooler ? the coloradoes came out with 3.0 litre intercooler on it ..... isuzu had to make there own motor ,,,yes or no

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next