View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Hot Rod Show Melb. 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
I will post a few pics if any interest but I saw an "interesting" truck outside, on Club permit plates.

As far as I know, there was never a truck made like this one,
a very long van, like a removals van but riding on what appeared to be a relatively new chassis with air bag suspension. Van itself appeared new too, at least not over 30 years old.. It was long enough to hold one car on the back with room to spare. Maybe even two smaller cars could fit.
Up front a dual cab cabin which i think was a Toyota. The cabin section would have been over 30 years probably. Not the usual truck cabin but a lower one like used on small trucks for local work.. Much, much lower than the van section is why it caught my eye.

It really surprised me, as in my opinion, it did not fit into the spirit of Club Permit vehicles. Mind you, inside there were some cars on H plates also, heavily modified. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of the Victorian modified vehicles rules are. Which will take some time yet.

The Holden van was interesting. From memory, only about 5 of these were ever made. This one has been restored but not overly. eg. The wood in the back is original, cracks and all. Pity about the colour though. Brings back memories of my 54 Ute on HR suspension and brakes, and a stock 56 sedan.

For those who don't know, the Melb. Exhibition Buildings were the site of Australia's 1st Parliament, in 1901. The picture below is at the side of the building, built in 1880. The fountain was built at the same time and features a number of Australian animals, spurting water.
The Royal Exhibition Building is the only surviving Great Hall that once housed a 19th-century international exhibition and is still used for exhibitions. The Hotrod show has been held there for as long I can remember.

Attachments:
DSC_1253.jpg
DSC_1253.jpg [ 57.53 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]
DSC_1280.jpg
DSC_1280.jpg [ 70.2 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]
DSC_1281.jpg
DSC_1281.jpg [ 76.11 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:45 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
This the front of the building. An interesting piece (to me anyway) is a large piece of rock at the left side of the building.

Apparently, at the time of the design, they were deciding on what to make the building from and there were disagreements. One guy wanted a certain type of stone to be used, but he lost.

The four-meter tall stone pillar quarried from Mount Difficult quarry near the Grampians, placed at the south-east corner of the Exhibition Buildings by Stawell local MP, Hon. John Woods, to protest the use of imported NSW stone. Woods was a staunch advocate for the use of stone from the Grampians quarry and had the pillar installed in 1880, claiming the quality of the stone was such that it would outlast the building.

Both still stand :) :)

Attachments:
stone pillar.jpg
stone pillar.jpg [ 29.89 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]
DSC_1255.jpg
DSC_1255.jpg [ 75.97 KiB | Viewed 8776 times ]

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:21 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Did you get a pic. of the truck ?
KB

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 am

KJB wrote:
Did you get a pic. of the truck ?
KB

unfortunately not, i was so taken aback by it, i forgot to take any pictures !

To me, it seemed they took a relatively late model truck, removed the cabin and plonked the old Toyota twin cab on it. Then claimed the whole truck was over 30 years old for club reg. If only used to transport there own vehicle on back, I guess OK in a way but one wonders if it was used for commercial purposes. ie show trade stands transport.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Probably an early Dyna Twin Cab on a late Toyota chassis.
KB

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 pm

KJB wrote:
Probably an early Dyna Twin Cab on a late Toyota chassis.
KB

yes, Dyna, was the name i couldn't recall.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]