View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Australia's most ridiculous car 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
To fully explain what this is, a bit of background information is required. Back in the 1980s a politician by the name of John Button decided to bring in a plan that was bashfully named the Button Plan. I can't remember the details, but the result was that all of the major manufacturers in Australia with the except of Mitsubishi, had to join forces and model share. This got complex.

Holden did panels and engines for (and I think actually built some models of) the Nissan Pulsar/Holden Astra twins, but then Holden forged a deal with Toyota. This resulted in:
- The Toyota Camry being re-badged as a Holden Apollo
- The Toyota Corolla being re-badged as a Holden Nova
- Perhaps most ridiculously, the full-sized Commodore (VN, VP, VR and VS-models) being sold as a Toyota Lexcen (named after designed of the winged keel of the Australia II yacht that won the America's cup in 1983, it was released around the same time as the Lexus, which was widely known to be a subsidiary of Toyota, resulting in much confusion due to the similaries of the names).

The deal between Toyota and Holden resulted in cars with minimal changes; different lights and brightwork, along with different quarter panels for the VP Commodore-based Lexcen was about the greatest difference that could be picked.

Ford started sharing models with Nissan. This resulted in:
- The Australian-'designed', Bluebird-based Nissan Pintara sedan and hatch being sold as the Ford Corsair. The Ford version had significantly different lights and grille and looked nice and smooth compared to the Pintara. However, either way, they were Australia's biggest flop since the Leyland P76 and spelled the end of Nissan as a manufacturer in Australia.
- The Nissan Patrol 4WD wagon being sold as a Ford Maverick in a move that was surprisingly popular.
But this was the good one....

For some reason, Ford and Nissan decided to share the Ford Falcon; specifically in utility or 'ute' form only. The XF Falcon model, for all the extolling in the world by Ford that it was European in influence, was never more the quintessential big, Aussie family six cylinder. Being similar in design to the previous-model XE Falcon and just so obviously a Ford Falcon, to disguise it's origins would take some cunning.

Here's what the Ford Falcon ute looked like:
Attachment:
Ford XF Falcon ute.jpg
Ford XF Falcon ute.jpg [ 36.85 KiB | Viewed 9556 times ]

So what did Ford and Nissan do? Well, perhaps they thought it would require too much cunning, because they just put badges on it. Then released it.

Attachment:
Nissan The Ute - 01.JPG
Nissan The Ute - 01.JPG [ 128.61 KiB | Viewed 9559 times ]

Specifically, a large NISSAN badge for the grille, big enough to cover the recess for the blue-oval badge in the centre. On the back, an individually-lettered NISSAN sticker was emblazoned across the back left-hand side of the tail gate (missing on this example) and on the sides, stickers showing it was, indeed, a 'Nissan Ute'. And that was it's name. It was normally listed in price guides and Glass's Guide as 'Nissan The Ute'!

Attachment:
Nissan The Ute - 02.JPG
Nissan The Ute - 02.JPG [ 106.14 KiB | Viewed 9558 times ]

Attachment:
Nissan The Ute - 03.JPG
Nissan The Ute - 03.JPG [ 33.82 KiB | Viewed 9551 times ]

Inside, it was pure Ford Falcon, although they did appear to get special Nissan centres for the definitely Ford Falcon steering wheel, rather than just stick a sticker over it.

Attachment:
Nissan The Ute - 04.JPG
Nissan The Ute - 04.JPG [ 68.17 KiB | Viewed 9548 times ]

These are all but gone from the road now; most have been re-badged back to being Fords so they can be moved a bit easier in the used car yards, while I'm sure plenty have just succumbed to overwork like most 20 year old utes.

I saw this one parked near work the other day; it was in mint condition, with only a bull bar, mags and the sticker missing from the tailgate to deter from it's originality.

You know what? I reckon it would be hilarious to go to All Japan Day in something like that. I mean, it's a Nissan isn't it?

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
i like the way you think! love to rock up in a nissanford ute!

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Are you for real !!! Where do you get this stuff man ?!?

B.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Car(s): 1968 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe (Polynesian Blue), 1974 Datsun 240z, 1970 Datsun Fairlady SRL311, 1966 Prince Skyline
Speaking of the Nissan Ute... When Dave, Ant, Monnie, Jason and myself went for a cruise on Saturday and guess what should drive by while we were having coffee....

Yep, a Nissan Ute complete with wheel covers, Nissan stickers and grill badge...

The ironic thing is I was pointing at it and ready to say to Dave "You bastard, everytime I see an XF ute I look to see if it's a Nissan Ute because of that thread on the forum". Low and behold it was :)

Good times.
R.

1971 S30 Datsun 240Z - Race car
1972 S30 Datsun 240Z

For more info, articles and pictures visit http://GarageofAwesome.com.au

Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:30 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
That was totally weird, because about 6 months ago I saw one that was totally rooted and the Nissan stickers were basically gone, but prior to that I hadn't seen one in years! Three in six months is HUGE! Perhaps they should get together for a cruise themselves.... Hahahahah not really.

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
There realy was some garbage in the '80s, wasn't there. Perhaps it was "intermediate technology" decade - early elec. ign. with resistors, crunchy plastic bumpers & grilles, hard, ugly plastic dashes, & "jetronic" injection, etc. We had a 1980 Audi 5E 5cyl with the bosch K-jetronic. When that stopped working it was the end of the car. They were 3 times the price of a Subaru wagon in '80, but who wants one now? (It's still up the paddock if anyone does!). Best thing I remember about the button plan was that the proliferation of aus screwed together telstars, etc. meant you could get bits from the wreckers for your import 626. Otherwise - yeah - Generic.
The '70s wasn't immune either - who could forget the '77 corona? Perhaps Toyota would like to! If you bought a 5 door, you got the 2L OHC, but if you chose a sedan you got the 1900 "starfire four" Holden red motor with 2 cyls chopped off. (think 4 cyl commodore) Ugh!

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Car(s): Isuzu DMax LSU, Isuzu MUX, 1979 117 Coupe.
I remember when our local council was buying utes. The idiots bought the Ford badged ones because -----------wait for it they were$15.00 cheaper than the Nissan. But the Nissan had a 3 year warranty with 100000 klms. The Ford had the old 12 months and 12000kms. And Guess what most of them broke after 14 months, we gave them heaps about it. The logic escapes me but they also cited that they wanted buy Australian. and we still employ some of these idoits now.

Peter

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Yeah Pete, Political correctness is a doctrine..........blah blah blah !!

B.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]