View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Check out this fantastic 1962 Chev Corvair pickup 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
This is rare-as!

For sale on the Craiglist website in the USA, this rear-engined, air-cooled Corvair rampside pickup is just an awesome looking machine.

Although the advert says it's been resprayed, overall it's ratty enough to own without restoring, yet in good enough condition to turn a heap of heads! Interior is nice too... and how's the price? $5000 US... mate, I'd own it in a heartbeat if I had the money and the space!

Attachment:
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 01.jpg
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 01.jpg [ 226.09 KiB | Viewed 7253 times ]

Attachment:
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 02.jpg
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 02.jpg [ 197.05 KiB | Viewed 7250 times ]

Attachment:
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 03.jpg
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 03.jpg [ 238.78 KiB | Viewed 7248 times ]

Attachment:
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 04.jpg
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 04.jpg [ 226.05 KiB | Viewed 7247 times ]

Attachment:
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 05.jpg
1962 Chevrolet Corvair pickup - 05.jpg [ 177.52 KiB | Viewed 7245 times ]

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
Loved the number plate: LIL UGLY

Heh heh ;)

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Classic thing! Takes the yanks to produce a rear-engined ute. Maybe it would ride a bit better than your average ute with the weight back there. I gotta wonder about cooling with a ton up on a long hill, though! The ramp's original - wonder if it's wide enough to drive a bellett up?
Cheers!

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Maybe granma's wheelchair, but not a Bellett. Hard to associate this crazy specimien with "Chevies". Dave, you automotive archeologist. :o

B.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Farmer wrote:
Takes the yanks to produce a rear-engined ute.

The Germans did it as well; in fact while they didn't invent the 1-box-type van (and associated utes) that is now ruled by the Japanese and Koreans, they certainly popularised it and made it less weird than the Ford Thames vans, Commers and other odd assortments from the UK. But then it took the Japanese to work out that you should stick the motor under the front seat so the rear is flat!

Interestingly, the Corvair range, like the original US Ford Falcon, was a 'compact' that was designed to take on the Beetle! While the Falcon was conventional, and even a large enough 'compact' to be described as a full-sized Australian family car, the Corvair was trying to take the Beetle on at it's own game by sticking an air-cooled flat motor (flat 6 in this case) in the rear of the car!

They offered a sedan, coupe and wagon, I'm pretty sure, with the engine in the bum, plus the van, a people mover and it seems, this pickup, all with the flat-6 engine in the rear.

It was also among the first cars ever to be offered with a factory turbocharger, however as many people know, it was also the reason why Ralph Nader wrote his book "Unsafe at Any Speed". In an extravaganza of penny pinching that would only be bettered by Ford's Pinto in the 1970s, the sway-bars recommended by the engineers were vetoed by the accountants and were either made too thin or not fitted (I can't remember), causing some swing-axle, monster oversteer issues that we, as Bellett owners, would know NOTHING about... I'm sure.

As a result, plenty of people stacked them and Ralph Nader hated them and that is why the Falcon lived on for many years (and still does here in Australia... for now) and the Corvair is now a footnote in Chevrolet's vast and varied history.

All this is from memory; if I've left out details sue me.

Regardless of oversteer issues, send me that van right now! (come on Ozlotto)

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:24 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
You know your history, man!
And I like it too - just slow down for the corners!
Like any U.S. car of the day was good with corners or braking, - but style, glorious austentacious style, they had that down!

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]