View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 47  Next
the life of rolie 

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
Here is Race 2 Highlights with a couple of glimpses of Rolie at the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07p58spojZk

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
He even gets a mention here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUAa4ERN0k8

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:03 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
The dust has finally settled on the busiest Revival the Bellett has seen. This was partly down to our unusual schedule which consisted of the normal two qualifying sessions on Friday, Brabham's race on Saturday and mine on Sunday, but also a track parade each day featuring the cars in the Bruce McLaren Tribute.

But also we had a series of problems with our rather hastily built engine, which kept us on our toes.

Have a look at this, I think you'll enjoy it. Don't forget to click on the grumpy old gimmer sitting in his car (wondering whether it'll ever work properly)....for some much better photos.

https://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-revi ... UteYKtP.97

As usual more to come, including the in-car footage.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Pombellett wrote:
The dust has finally settled on the busiest Revival the Bellett has seen. This was partly down to our unusual schedule which consisted of the normal two qualifying sessions on Friday, Brabham's race on Saturday and mine on Sunday, but also a track parade each day featuring the cars in the Bruce McLaren Tribute.

But also we had a series of problems with our rather hastily built engine, which kept us on our toes.

Have a look at this, I think you'll enjoy it. Don't forget to click on the grumpy old gimmer sitting in his car (wondering whether it'll ever work properly)....for some much better photos.

https://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-revi ... UteYKtP.97

As usual more to come, including the in-car footage.

great stuff Mark. (whats with the tape on back side window ?, just curious)

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:33 am
Profile WWW

Special F1 style mod there Glen.....gaffer tape stopping the window from dropping into the door (we must have shaken our little pins out)

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 am

Just read who drove it in the McLaren parade too.......
Cool.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:13 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
You got that right Brett, how cool would that have been. I believe Julie enjoyed her time over there. HOPEFULLY videoed, thats what I asked for as they left!!!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:33 am

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
That was an awesome read (fantastic pics too) and what an honor for Tom and Julie too.....

Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:16 am
Profile YIM WWW

It was great to have them over, and Tom's technical support was very helpful in more than a couple of instances.
The first one was when David Brabham first took the car out for his qualification....it immediately started to misbehave, and his session was cut short.
Here's a shot of the man himself trying out his first Bellett.
Attachment:
DSC05125.JPG
DSC05125.JPG [ 226.71 KiB | Viewed 28892 times ]

It was Tom who picked up on the fact that, when I'd played around with electronic ignition I binned the ignition parts but left the coil on.........this coil had cooked the points.

The old Lucas 'Prince of Darkness' went back on, and everything was good again.

My qually session when OK, but the cars at the Revival this year have broken new boundaries in terms of pace, and a lot of my time I spent hopping out of the way of the fast guys and not really getting a clear lap in.

But it all looked fine for DB's race the next day...here's a couple of shots of him chatting in the assembly area with Red Bull's Christian Horner (racing the Mini next door) and his Mrs.
Attachment:
brab.png
brab.png [ 4.84 MiB | Viewed 28893 times ]

Attachment:
DSC05135.JPG
DSC05135.JPG [ 385.82 KiB | Viewed 28892 times ]

To be continued.....

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:41 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
the first picture tom amos lining up a shot ??

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:31 am

You're right Dave, I hadn't noticed that!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:45 am

That article makes me sound like a dodgy car salesman :lol:. I hope you recorded all of Toms advise because my memory stick doesn't cope.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:38 pm

Dodgy.....NEVER! Although, the car did shake out another few grams of red Aussie soil that I'm steadily collecting.....just in case you want it back!
And yes, my memory stick just melted....with my mind on the competition, we were filling a teacup with a fire hose!!
Back to the races....DB's race was directly after one of the Tribute Parades, so we had to park in the pit lane, instead of working our way all around to the assembly area, and here Anna got this great shot of us getting him ready as the rest of the field came out.
Attachment:
DSC05192.JPG
DSC05192.JPG [ 225.24 KiB | Viewed 28854 times ]

And lining up.
Attachment:
DSC05198.JPG
DSC05198.JPG [ 313.12 KiB | Viewed 28854 times ]

Incidentally on top of hill in this shot you can just about make out the other famous Goodwood race course....the one for horses of course.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 am

David had a tidy and fairly uneventful race. The two cars we reckon he was racing were passed in the first lap, and he steadily worked his way up to some reasonable times.
The general thought was that the track was running about 1.5s slower than last time, due to some resurfacing, so with this in mind he was running about the pace of two years ago when we had a much more developed engine........he wasn't exactly climbing the walls with excitement but Team Bellett UK were pretty pleased!
Attachment:
DSC05201.JPG
DSC05201.JPG [ 234.25 KiB | Viewed 28797 times ]

BUT, by the time we got the car back to our garage, it had developed a strange 'chuffing' misfire. Once it had cooled the cam cover inspection plate was lifted, it was revealed that a cam follower had sort of rotated sideways and come off the top of the valve. Ouch.
Whilst the boys took the camshaft off, I shot back home and picked up the 1600 head this provided us with the bits and pieces we needed...and after a long evening and a couple of hours in the morning we were up and running again, and ready for my race....but it was a tense few hours.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Car(s): John White DOHC Gemini Group A touring car
From what I've read of the rules, that you are allowed to use a substitute engine of larger capacity etc as long as it is the same engine family, would it be out of the question to fit a twin cam to it? Kinda turn it into a 4 door gtr?

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Redzone wrote:
From what I've read of the rules, that you are allowed to use a substitute engine of larger capacity etc as long as it is the same engine family, would it be out of the question to fit a twin cam to it? Kinda turn it into a 4 door gtr?

from what I 'know' (but needs to be verified, as I never actually did it) ..... a twin cam head will fit the 1800 SOHC engine. I would assume the main advantage of the DOHC is it may enable the engine to rev higher? The head may interfere with the starter motor though? Pic is an early 2000cc DOHC with 5 speed. Cylinder spacing 1-2 3-4 is very close though and they are prone to blowing head gaskets if heavily modified, so an 1800cc would be a better bet.

BUT:- worth a read also
from the web http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/tech/engswap.html

Attachments:
DSC_1087.jpg
DSC_1087.jpg [ 614.32 KiB | Viewed 28783 times ]

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 am
Profile WWW

IMHO, the twin cam is overrated.
A Gemini SOHC of the same capacity will make more power, and be more reliable, for far less money.
That's why I use them in my race car.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 am

We have thought about it, Red and Glen, especially as the guys in Finland have been pushing for this 'mod' for a few years.......they have VERY strict rules over there, and can't believe we can play around with the regs to such an extent here.

The problem with the twin cam is that it falls well outside the 'age limitation'....and although we'd probably get away with it for a while (such is the limited knowledge of Belletts in the UK) it certainly wouldn't be in the 'spirit of things'......it clearly looks like an engine from a later era, and would certainly set tongues wagging if we suddenly found 10 seconds.
Politics is big in this type of historic racing (probably compensating for the slightly more relaxed attitude to the regs) consequently you have to learn to play hard but within a certain set of rather fuzzy rules.
I hope this makes some sense, but I'd be happy to attempt to answer any further questions.
I'll continue with the Revival story when I've dug up some more photos.

Just seen your post Brett, and you're not the only one to mention this, which obviously helps me make the choice. I hear good things about the SOHC particularly the 1800,

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 am

Pombellett wrote:
We have thought about it, Red and Glen, especially as the guys in Finland have been pushing for this 'mod' for a few years.......they have VERY strict rules over there, and can't believe we can play around with the regs to such an extent here.

The problem with the twin cam is that it falls well outside the 'age limitation'....and although we'd probably get away with it for a while (such is the limited knowledge of Belletts in the UK) it certainly wouldn't be in the 'spirit of things'......it clearly looks like an engine from a later era, and would certainly set tongues wagging if we suddenly found 10 seconds.
Politics is big in this type of historic racing (probably compensating for the slightly more relaxed attitude to the regs) consequently you have to learn to play hard but within a certain set of rather fuzzy rules.
I hope this makes some sense, but I'd be happy to attempt to answer any further questions.
I'll continue with the Revival story when I've dug up some more photos.

Just seen your post Brett, and you're not the only one to mention this, which obviously helps me make the choice. I hear good things about the SOHC particularly the 1800,

Hi Mark

Pretty sure the 1st instance of DOHC in 2000cc size was around 1976. The 1800cc version came much later in Gemini. Of course the GTR had a 1600cc DOHC but scarce as. I think the engine PR91 refers to though, is the much later SOHC Isuzu Gemini engine that would fall way out side guidelines if date was a factor.
I agree that the DOHC is over rated.... but it sure looks great ! I guess the 8 valves limits a it a lot. I think the 1800SOHC you have, can produce just as much power but it would appear a big task to get reliable power.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:15 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): John White DOHC Gemini Group A touring car
G180W came out in the 117 in early 70's I think 1973? Same block as G180S ohc, minor changes to the G180 Florian ohv block.

Dohc isn't overrated, just no one in aus has really pushed one yet. My friend had an internally stock with stock cams with twin 40mm dellortos G200W in a Gemini and it made 116rwhp. Aquarius sports in Japan has an all singing 2.2L G200W making 220hp.

You can bore a G180W to 2L capacity. They don't blow head gaskets if they don't ping! Plus Thomas4parts make mls gaskets for them.

I can't see why you can't run a 117 coupe style twin webered G180W with some tasty head work and big cams under those rules. The engine with the old type rocker cover looks like and essentially IS a 1960s engine, remember the Bellett GT-R came out in the 60s with basically the same engine. It is a copy of the Alfa gtv dohc design except the Isuzu head outflows the Alfa.

After my group A car is painted I'll be diving into the build of my G180W ZZ Gemini engines, I'm restricted by stock intake and exhaust manifolds but I'm confident of achieving 150rwhp.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 47  Next