View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"Stinky Lives" 

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
Finally!!

After about 4 or 5 years and the first time I have tried to get one of the 2 cars in my shed out since we built our new house - I managed to get my Bellett out.

This was my dillemma - we built our new house and I did NOT want to get rid of my 6x6m shed.
We positioned the house so there was a "driveway" down the left side of the house joining the back of our garage - we had to move the garage one bay to the left and put in a roller door at the back so I could "drive through".
When the block was surveyed I lost 1m to my neighbour as originally it was surveyed wrong - so I lost vital space to drive a car down the side of the house.
The shed doors (swing out) miss the eave by 11mm - that was close - phew.
One thing I did not foresee was the house was built on a 300mm slab so to drive through the garage I will have to pave or concrete a ramp up - I use a wood ramp to get our bikes in and out of the shed.

So with Bathurst last weekend and me finishing my custom chopper I really, really got the urge to work on a project again as I was bored.
So to stick the middle finger up at Colin Bond (pffft) I decided to get the Bellett on the road again.
I cleaned up the stuck front brakes and changed the oil and filter, mounted an electric fuel pump and new spark plugs (see I do still love it) and true to the toughness of the little beast - it fired up second go after sitting for years.

I gave it a scrub and chamois and will need to bleed the brakes with some help from the my sife Bernie.

I am really stoked to get it back on the road.

Attachments:
Stinky 2012.jpg
Stinky 2012.jpg [ 124.09 KiB | Viewed 25039 times ]
Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
well done. Great to hear the pasion is there and you managed to get her out of the shed ok. (pity about the fence line though)

Do you have Club permit 'reg' in the NT ?

glenn

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Glenn,

Yes we have Club Rego here - it is $80 per year and I must keep a log book of miles and details.

I am a member of Isuzu Car Club Australia (Sydney Club) at the moment.

I just have to show proof I am a member and get some Club plates - hopefully with XTINCT.

:lol:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Thats excellent. Otherwise having multiple cars proves expensive to keep on the road.
Can't have custom plates here though which is a pity

Last edited by Glenn on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
nice to see Stinky out again!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
another 67 1/2 gets back on the road. they sure are hardy little beasts...

tight space for car access there, good you dont have a chevrolet to fit thru :)

bet it feels good to have her running again

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OZ

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh NO BRAKES!!!!!!

I am getting sick of spending money on brakes every couple of years so I would like to "refurbish" the brakes (again) :roll: but this time use dot 5 silicon fluid - so I need to redo all the seals in the system. does anyone have seal kit numbers or new old stock wheel and master cylinders. I really am keen in getting some good stopping power - Stinky never had good anchors EVER.

Cheers,
Neil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Those are brilliant plates that car has but with all our Belletts still hiding under rocks or sheds
out there the plates endangerd would be more fitting!

I have one set of rear seals left which I get the part number off for you
Cheers, Lewis

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Neil,

Have you had your wheel cylinders and master cylinder stainless steel sleeved?
Dave M.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey Dave,

I have had lots of work on them all but cannot remember if they were sleeved.

If they have been sleeved they should still be the same inside diameter correct?

I think I am just going to pull everything out and flush the system - reseal or replace and hopefully have some stopping power.

Cheers,
Neil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile WWW

rubbers parts numbers;

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1875&p=15378&hilit=seal#p15378

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 67 Bellett Auto Sedan, 65 Wasp, 73 Chev Luv, 1/2 A Chev Luv, VX Commodore
Hi Dave,
Great little car, and love the Plates :lol:
Bellett brakes arent great at the best of times :geek:
If you have problems getting them let me know as I am pretty sure we can get them here I can send some up :D
Josh

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Yes NEIL.
They hone the wheel cylinders and master cylinder out and fit ss liners, should solve your problem, same kits fit straight in, I have had the master cylinder and the rear brake cylinders sleeved. I hope to collect a set or two of the calipers kits in MERIMBULA and have the calipers serviced.
Makes a difference and easier to replace kits when time arrives, just a clean, a refit, a bleed and away you go!!!

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:26 am

ALRIGHTYTHEN!!!

Brake MC and front wheel cylinders have been all resleeved and put back on Stinky.

My lovely wife, Bernie, and I had a bit of fun bleeding them up..........and I can now lock up the front wheels :D for the first time since I have had the car (17yrs) - WOW

I will get it inspected for club rego Thursday or Friday at a mates garage using his trade plates to get it there.

Cheers

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 am
Profile WWW

GO NEIL, STINKY will back like new in NO TIME!!! :lol:

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hey man,

Get that thing down here for Adelaide 2013!!! Freight it if you have to!

Good to hear the braking force is now back... better than it ever has been!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Do it Neil! Bring that little beauty down to Adelaide. Start planning now! It would be great to meet you. You may even bring about a record for states & territoties represented at a nats! Spirit of the Nationals!Great that the brakes are sorted, nice to be able to stop. With all the wet up there it's probably important to use 'em as often as possible & keep them dried out.

Cheers, Matt.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:43 am

Hey Matt / Dave,

That is a big call - I am having trouble getting time off work at the moment.

I spent Sunday in the Garage working on Stinky - under fans - and it was friggin hot - I had three "cold" showers Saturday as it is the Build Up at the moment.

Put the new mechanical fuel pump on - it looks fantastic and works a treat. Thanks Josh!! for your help there.

I had Stinky inspected for Rego on Friday - it passed but I have to fix up a couple of issues......

1. I need to put another muffler on it cause it is still too loud........pfffft...... if its too loud your too old!! ..... it is annoying though.. heh heh heh ;)
2. I need to change the front and side indicators to orange lenses. Cmon VT Commodores have clear side lenses. :roll:

I will have to cover the dash pad I got from Rod - cheers.

I am getting a spare head worked on to get some performance from it - bigger valves and a bit of a shave for upping the compression - looking forward to that.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

Neil,

What about orange globes in your side blinkers, would that be allowed in the Territory?? ;)
Don't corrupt the Bellett with Bommadore bits!!! :lol:

Yes, it would be very humid up there at this time of year, NO DOUBT, the rain is almost as warm when I was up there in the 70's! :D
What is your rego, were you permitted to use your "XTINCT" plates?
Dave M.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:15 pm

No the lenses must be orange - so I will get some universal side and front lamps from Ashdown Ingram's as they are right next door to work.
The inspector (Steve) said i could go to Supercrap Auto and buy the orange lense spray but I am not that bodgy.

I am just looking out the window of work at the 20 cars in the car park and 18 of them have clear side lenses - bloody hell what the f....

Cheers

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next