View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Bellett 1600GT...whatever happened to? 

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
Guys, I had a look at an early Bellett 1600GT out near Salisbury SA about 8-10 years ago...it was partially diassembled, whilst I thought I could store it somewhere my attempts to locate some storage failed, but I thought I'd check it out anyway.

The owner was an elderly gent, 'European' accent, the car was stored under a tarp, under a tree in his yard. He had owned the car almost from new, handed the car to his daughter, who had an accident. It was taken off the road and a new front section welded on and fender attached. Then it sat for about 5 years.

When I saw this car, the front was in primer, rest of the car was metallic blue, not much rust to speak of, immaculate red interior, steering wheel and concole were intact. The motor was original spec, alloy rocker cover and original carbies included. A correct replacement grille was included, original hubcaps were in the boot. I should never have looked at the car...he only wanted $900 for it and had dropped to $700 after a week in the Trading Post (inconspicuous ad, don't think many enthusiasts would have spotted it. Nice price, but worse, after painfully talking my way out of buying it for 20 minutes he claimed he liked my 'honest face' and dropped it to $400! Sure, desparate attempt at a sale, or maybe the engine was blown, but 1600GT's were not regarded a collectors item by the masses not that long ago, and this one was in pieces. I'm getting all teary just thinking about it.

Does this car sound familiar to anyone? I've often wondered what happened to it and hoped it went to a good home. Anyone the lucky owner?

Cheers,
Duane

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]