View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Pair of GT's in California 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Yeah that's mine! It's got a few ripples down one side and definitely sports some (hidden) rust, but it's great fun to fang around.

In fact, myself and GToo headed off to the Hills yesterday for a bit of a fang. My 14 month-old was in the back of mine; 'Dad' and 'car' are all he can say, so my work here is done!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): '68 Chevelle, '97 Nissan S14, '71 1800GT, '72 1800GTN
Thats Awesome!! Thats what it's all about.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
dave wrote:
Hey man no worries!

Both user PR95 with his 1972 Bellett GT1800 PR95 and myself, with a 1973 Bellett GTR PR91 have cars that were imported into Australia recently, as was Glenn's PR(I forget; fill me in, Glenn!) 2-door sedan Bellett Sport, of which we got none originally.

Stay in touch and keep us informed!

Cheers,

Dave

My 2 door "SPORT" model is a "PR60" model. ie 2 door sedan with GT doors and running gear basically, and SOHC engine, 2000cc. 27 dec-That should be 1800cc)

Allllllmmmmmost ready to hit the road.

It is the only one of it's type in Australia (except i have parts car also) and was imported from Japan recently.

glenn

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Thanks for showing us Joe, and I'm also glad to see where these 2 have wound up.
Personally, I'd avoid putting a Toyota motor in there, but whatever works to keep the cars alive. I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

The reason we don't have any Aus delivered post-'70 examples is thanks to General Motors. They bought 33% of Isuzu in 1970 & immediately stopped exports into Australia. After a pause, they began selling Chev & Holden badged cars here. Thus we have Geminis, Chev Luvs, Rodeos, Jackaroos, etc.
Thankfully the '08 G.F.C. caused the bleeding GM to shed it's holding & now we are seeing ISUZU badged cars again. (Well, D-Max at least.)
Sorry to the many who lost out due to the GFC, but I like to look for silver linings!

And as for Dave getting his nose out of joint? I don't think that happens, he's happy to see enthusiasts get cars. ;)
I have missed cars over the years, but have then come to know their new owners & become good friends. Belletts do that to people!

Cheers, Matt.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:07 am

So I finally managed to grab the other bellett from where it was being stored and now both are here at home with me.

I was peeking around in the history section and, thanks to dave for the awesome 1972 brochure!!, it appears that I have one 1800GTN and one 1800GT.

The original owner just informed me that the GT was in fact originally white with a black bonnet and the black stripes like the GTR. I would have never assumed that was an option. I didnt catch that in the brochure but someone else mentioned it in the comments. Seems only right that I put it back to original. Probably would have been my choice of color anyways. But nice to know I can run the stripe correctly. So now I just wonder how it came to have the GTR bumper and lights...not complaining.

The GTN does not have the bonnet vents, and has the one piece front bumper as well as the single downdraft. That bumper is one of the nicest looking best fitting bumpers ive seen. Isuzu did a great job on that one.

Time to start figuring out what parts have been swapped between cars over the years.
The only issue really concerning me is that I have the differential case for the GTN in the trunk of the GT. Axles are still bolted to car, however I see no ring, pinion,diff.etc. I still need to clean out the GTN in the morning and HOPEFULLY ill find something. Are there any interchanges known or can anyone tell me if this diff case was ever used by anyone other than Isuzu? Would rather not have to swap to another style but, at least it would keep it on the road.

The GTN has carried the label "parts car" for 20 years. I keep telling myself "you have 2 belletts, keep it that way"
So one may end up a bit of a frankenstein, but oh well, no one knows what it is anyways :lol:

I'll start a new thread and try to post more pics. Thanks again guys, you all are one resource I could not do this without.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
excellent Joe. Its great to hear of Bellett's in the USA being saved. Seems there are quite a few about and they pop up now and then.
glenn

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
NorCalBellett wrote:
So I finally managed to grab the other bellett from where it was being stored and now both are here at home with me.

I was peeking around in the history section and, thanks to dave for the awesome 1972 brochure!!, it appears that I have one 1800GTN and one 1800GT.

The original owner just informed me that the GT was in fact originally white with a black bonnet and the black stripes like the GTR. I would have never assumed that was an option. I didnt catch that in the brochure but someone else mentioned it in the comments. Seems only right that I put it back to original. Probably would have been my choice of color anyways. But nice to know I can run the stripe correctly. So now I just wonder how it came to have the GTR bumper and lights...not complaining.

The GTN does not have the bonnet vents, and has the one piece front bumper as well as the single downdraft. That bumper is one of the nicest looking best fitting bumpers ive seen. Isuzu did a great job on that one.

Time to start figuring out what parts have been swapped between cars over the years.
The only issue really concerning me is that I have the differential case for the GTN in the trunk of the GT. Axles are still bolted to car, however I see no ring, pinion,diff.etc. I still need to clean out the GTN in the morning and HOPEFULLY ill find something. Are there any interchanges known or can anyone tell me if this diff case was ever used by anyone other than Isuzu? Would rather not have to swap to another style but, at least it would keep it on the road.

The GTN has carried the label "parts car" for 20 years. I keep telling myself "you have 2 belletts, keep it that way"
So one may end up a bit of a frankenstein, but oh well, no one knows what it is anyways :lol:

I'll start a new thread and try to post more pics. Thanks again guys, you all are one resource I could not do this without.

There is a thread about Diff centre compatability here-http://www.bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2063&start=20
I'm not sure of the final result, but you may be able to adapt a Chev Luv centre. It would be lower geared though.
I could always send you a Bellett centre, but the postage could be a little steep!
Great to see you want to keep them both alive.
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hey Norcal,

No worries about the brochures. I should put some more up (I've been meaning to scan them, but life keeps happening).

Perhaps I should regard that as inspiration and scan a couple tonight!

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 65 Bellett PR20; 66 Bellett parts car
My goodness, I forget to log in for a few months and things start coming out of he woodwork.

Joe,

Nice to see your posts.
I thought Mark and I were the only ones over here with these little beuties (at least on this board).
I am down in San Diego and have a couple of Belletts (not GTs though).
I'm interested in how your restoration goes. Mine are a little older (65 and 67).
There was some stuff a while back about somebody in LA area clearing out a warehouse of Bellel parts, and then I just saw another recent post up here about a Bellel in Ohio area.

Have you made any progress yet over the last couple of months? I keep saying I need to get back to mine, it's been 6 years now since I did anything serious on it.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for the link. No sign of the diff or gears yet. Just the case. There are still parts in the shed at previous owners house so hopefully something will pop up there.

Doug, nice to hear from someone on the same coast. I really am curious just how many of these there really are in the states.
Very little progress so far. My new shop location fell through and it looks to be another month before I move. However this new shop is about 4000sq/ft so these 2 little guys wont take up much space.

I've been on the lookout for a luv truck lately anyhow. Something has me wanting a forest green luv stepside with 71+ bellett gt grille. Maybe I can find an extra rear diff.

Thanks again all
Joe

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Car(s): 65 Bellett PR20; 66 Bellett parts car
Joe,

There are a few posts in other forums about the history in NA.
Here is a copy of my post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=275&start=40
and my introduction
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1756

I was hoping that the database that is being kept by someone else on this forum would give us some idea of what is still around over here, but I have not pursed it.

I think I will at least start a list myself now if I can get contact info. It is getting so that I forget a lot of this stuff now. I get contacts every couple of years from different people.

As for your differential I do not know if the GT had a different differential, and I did not quite understand what exactly it was you needed. I do have a differential that came out of a 65 Bellett if you are interested we could chat off line (send me a PM).

Doug.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Car(s): 1968 Bellett 1300 2dr, 06 Scion XA ,05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo HO
Hey Joe & Doug

Yes these things are pretty rare here in the US, the ones I know about, have seen sales or pictures of, the count is 11 for me. I'm sure someone else might know diff??

five of em are in Cali... was six but it got crushed last year :| , good thing is all the parts went to good homes... :)

Cheers
Mark

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2