View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Little beast part 2 

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
Happy to help mate, It wasnt too far out on the specs i have for it except for the massive amount of toe in!
looking forward to the videos when you get them up!

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:47 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
so did the carbi sync improve its output and driveability, Bruno?

interesting about the torque, as the twin cam 1600 of Dave's seem to lack it in abundance!! but it rev's really well.
my son-in-law, who is a Porsche trained Mechanic, says too many guys go for maximum KW and don't realize that its the torque that's makes it a much better driving car. his Nissan Silvia puts out 265KW and 622NM torque. from a 2 litre turbo engine tuned for E85 fuel.
and it has ceramic button clutch etc etc etc. bit of a money pit in my option but there you go.

I would rather have 4 or 5 classic tin cars for the same money spent

OZ

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:33 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Here's the way it went OZ. First he took the carbs apart to look for any wear differences. All looked good. He then set the jets to the same height and reassembled everything. There was a little uneven play at the end of the 2 linkages which he then tightened to even out. Then start engine and sync carbies with a very clever but basic suction meter. So stage one complete, idling a lot quiter and reving freely in neutral.

Next step was onto the dyno, and this is where things get interesting. The readings are done under load at relatively low speeds and mid range revs. There is one reading of max torque at 84kph. This is when the rollers give the same resistance as a steep hill and you hear the engine chow into the power. As the accelerator is applied, the next reading is KW (or HP) at 116kph as it reaches a "legal" road speed limit. This sounds great as it's under significant load but humming along. He holds it there for a second or so and then lets the foot drop to see if there are any gremlins as it goes out to almost redline. Now that sounds AWESOME :mrgreen:

Mike hands me the keys when he's done and says with a rye smile: " you ain't been driving it hard enough"

So the verdict on the road test is smoother take off and quicker off the mark, delivering a larger rev range in every gear comfortably pulling 4,500 rpm. and then really wants to go from 50 mph upwards without feeling like there is a brick under the accelerator. It also feels torquier up hills and cold starts one hell of a lot easier without the choke !! So improvements all round.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:08 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
:D :D :D :D :D excellent stuff mate . you are .a happy bellett gt owner ...sweet as ..........................davo

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:24 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
oz_toffa wrote:
so did the carbi sync improve its output and driveability, Bruno?

interesting about the torque, as the twin cam 1600 of Dave's seem to lack it in abundance!! but it rev's really well.
my son-in-law, who is a Porsche trained Mechanic, says too many guys go for maximum KW and don't realize that its the torque that's makes it a much better driving car. his Nissan Silvia puts out 265KW and 622NM torque. from a 2 litre turbo engine tuned for E85 fuel.
and it has ceramic button clutch etc etc etc. bit of a money pit in my option but there you go.

OZ

very true. Its also 'where' the torque is developed. My everyday road car has max torque from 1250rpm.... and feels very lively even though max power is nothing to write home about. Turbo helps of course !

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:34 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixYo8cvjnw

Well, here goes. Not sure if this will attach. but if it does, turn up volume on some good speakers and enjoy :D

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:43 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
the video works! and it sounds good too!

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4