View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
My Belletts- a few more pics..... 

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Here are a few more pics - some maybe a little fuzzy as they were all taken with a cheap Kodak Instamatic camera (high tech. in its day but nothing like the digital cameras of today) Colour was a lot more expensive so I made do with black and white - I needed the extra money for motorsport!
To answer a couple of questions ,I am 61 and have have actively competed in Club motorsport every year for about 42 years.The yellow '65 Bellett was built for Off Road Events and also for Club AUto X and Motorkhanas.Cost was as little as possible (from memory the car cost $120 - it had been rolled but still drivable)I had just bought a new 4WD Massey Ferguson front end loader and I got the Dealer to throw in a gallon of yellow paint for "touch up " purposes - it went straight on to the Bellett that night! The wheels were 6 x 13 ' off my Datsun 1600 at the time - I had a couple of sets.The tyres were truck Cold Caps - Mud Pattern - on car tyres - a mate in the recap industry made them at my request.It had a half cage and f/glass seats. From memory I was on the Start line at the 1974 BP Desert Rally for an outlay of about $180 incl. twin SU's off an MGB with appropriate needles.The Bellett ran well in that Rally but I had problems with the accelerator pivot shaft jumping out of the firewall pivot bracket on landing after being airborne over jumps.After seeing the performance of VW based cars in these events I built a buggy for the following years.

Attachments:
File comment: Fuzzy pic. of Bellett performing over some of those troublesome jumps -1974
KJB  -  Bellett over jumps 001 s.jpg
KJB - Bellett over jumps 001 s.jpg [ 66.9 KiB | Viewed 9212 times ]
File comment: Bellett did Beach duties as well.
KJB '66 Bellett - Jan. 1967  Surfboard equipped 001.jpg
KJB '66 Bellett - Jan. 1967 Surfboard equipped 001.jpg [ 82.25 KiB | Viewed 9212 times ]
File comment: Rear view of a group of Belletts at a Motorkhana - cica 1968
KJB '66 Bellett - Bellett Club  Motorkhana Burrumbeet 001.jpg
KJB '66 Bellett - Bellett Club Motorkhana Burrumbeet 001.jpg [ 92.55 KiB | Viewed 9213 times ]
File comment: This was the Light Car Clubs Inter Branch Auto X (Ballarat,Bendigo,Melbourne) 90 entries.
KJB '66 Bellett - 1970 Auto  X  Light Car Club Bacchus Marsh s 001.jpg
KJB '66 Bellett - 1970 Auto X Light Car Club Bacchus Marsh s 001.jpg [ 74.2 KiB | Viewed 9209 times ]
File comment: Bellett was used for mustering sheep at shearing time,carrying grease oil etc. at harvest time and Club Motorsport on weekends.
KJB '66 Bellett -1968 - Bellett in the work enviroment ! 001.jpg
KJB '66 Bellett -1968 - Bellett in the work enviroment ! 001.jpg [ 70.38 KiB | Viewed 9203 times ]

Thu May 07, 2009 10:05 am

Car(s): 67 BELLETT SEDAN. 66 AUTO SEDAN PARTS CAR.HAD GT NOW AT ORPHANAGE
thanks so much forsharing your excellent photos they were the good old days love the caravans also the second last photo looks like awhite gt just behind you? thanks again regards dave

Fri May 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Car(s): 65 and 66 sedan
Hi KJB, Another bunch of excellent photos. I am going to hassle my Dad this afternoon to get a few of his slides out from when he competed in Motorsport in his 65 Bellett in 1970's.

Were you a member of the first Bellett Car Club of Victoria the one that was formed before the one we know today that was founded by Ben Barker? If you weren't it seems you and your Bellett driving mates were a keen bunch of fellows. Do you still dabble in a bit of Club Motorsport?

Fri May 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Those are some awesome photos, Kerry. Photos from Back In The Day are almost as important as the original factory literature coz it shows the cars as they were out on the street; fairly new, neat and tidy and being used as regular vehicles!

These days of course, they are viewed as some weird classic car nobody's heard of! Parts are hard to chase and daily driving them in most regular situations in peak hour traffic would probably kill them; if your local weather doesn't kill then (eg 42 degree Adelaide summer sun!), then some turkey who is half asleep will probably stack into you and then tell you not to worry as it's only 'an old car'! ARGH! The humanity...

Anyway, those photos are a great historical item! (sorry if that means you too are a historical item...!)

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Fri May 08, 2009 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
From memory I think that the white car in the second last photo was a Lancia.
65 Bellett - I am looking forward to seeing your Dads photos.
I don't remember the name Ben Barker but I remember the Club meetings ( around '67 - '69 ) in a room above a shop in Elizabeth St. Melbourne just North of where Ryans Tools were.I still have the Club badge - interestingly the name Bellett is spelt with only one "t".The Club had 2 or 3 Motorkhana's at my property at Burrumbeet.Yes I do still compete but not as much as work has infringed on my spare time during the last 2 or 3 years.I ran a Porsche 911 RS Clone ,which I built ,for most of the last 10 years.I sold it and now have a 1990 Porsche 964 (3.6, 2WD, manual, coupe)which has been set up for Club track days.
Our kids reckon that I am Collectible because of my age , but too good to wreck for parts!

Attachments:
Bellett Club Badges 007 s.jpg
Bellett Club Badges 007 s.jpg [ 80.12 KiB | Viewed 9105 times ]

Sat May 09, 2009 7:38 am

Car(s): 65 and 66 sedan
Wow KJB that is amazing. On thrursday I was chatting with a couple of guys from the BCCV about the history of the club as it is 30th anniversary this year and they mentioned that the BCCV as we know it was not the first Bellett Car Club in Melbourne :shock: . These two guys had seen references made about another club in magazines and things but had never come across any actual members. Now thanks to Bellett.net an original Bellet Club member has been found with photographic evidence.

Now all we need to do is track down the guy who ordered the club badges and stir him up about the spelling.

Sat May 09, 2009 8:02 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Yes, "65 there was a strange omission. But also thanks KJB for sharing your amazing historic pedegree. Dave , there's a brochure in that !

B.

Sat May 09, 2009 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]