View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
RobSA project Bella 

Is RobSA's new PR91W-inspired paint job:
Awesome 88%  88%  [ 22 ]
Not quite awesome 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 25

RobSA project Bella 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Perhaps your numberplate should be PR20W.

hahahahahaha

Sorry Gav.

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
i love the paint you have lovingly aged so well! you are going to devastate me when you paint the beast!

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 pm

seriously luv it rob!!
when i posted the pic of my sedan that had the stripes, i honestly thought u were going to repaint the car and do the stripes as a new resto type of thing.
but this patina idea is even better!!
you've done well!!

a suggestion tho... i'd do the window frames and "B" pillar the same way. i think the white looks out of place now. the GT-R had them black as well, so it'd suit nicely.

and yep, maybe PR20W would suit... gav has the word on it!!

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 am

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
LOL, as I posted elsewhere, I ran out of masking tape ... the frames and pillars are next.
Until the car gets the bodywork done I thought clean new black paint was way out of place so ....

"and yep, maybe PR20W would suit.."

... maybe for the next one : )

... or maybe this one and I build another one as PR20 :D

... this one the or the future PR20W is going to be for track and hillclimb, the next one will be for quarter mile duty

... when we get a new track : (

oh, speedo is out, trying to fix the tripmeter, cable to come out next and be cleaned,
YES I AM PUTTING OFF TAKING THE ALTERNATOR OUT ... it will fix itself wont it ??

and made a temporary wiper switch, two speed wipers, HA!! slow and slower are not two speeds!!

Cheers
Rob

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:34 am

My speedo doesn't seem to work !?

:lol:

Cheers
Rob

Attachments:
WebSpeedo.JPG
WebSpeedo.JPG [ 25.35 KiB | Viewed 27287 times ]

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:47 am

RobSA wrote:
... this one the or the future PR20W is going to be for track and hillclimb,

let me know if u need some set up advice mate.
my race car doesnt have alot left now thats not modified in some way, and i've tried a fair few different things with it, so i'd be happy to steer u as to what i've done (whether it's right or wrong.... ?????? .... but it suits me) from the begining.

RobSA wrote:
... when we get a new track : (

isn't bob the best..............??????
we're in the same boat here dude, but at least there's now a very strong movement to get a totally new venue up and running, including an american style "twin raceway". that is, 2 X 2 lane dragways next to each other!! will be awesome, and there's alot of support for it, as it's been over 10 years since we had any group 1 racing here, and the off street stuff was culled a few years back as well, again, thanks to bob................

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:01 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
RobSA wrote:
My speedo doesn't seem to work !?

:lol:

Cheers
Rob

Thats because its not in the car?

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 am

Alternator is now back in the car, will have to wait to see if it now works.
Exhaust is still a little way off ... if a little over the top for a Bellett !! (thanks to Paul for the second hand parts).
Speedo !? Well I'm borrowing a GPS while I pull another one apart (thanks Chris).
Need to get some trip wheels to replace the ones that don't work anymore.

Photos will be provided in due course :)

Cheers
Rob

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hey Rob. A guy rolled up to me at Motorfest & said he rebuilds instruments. Said he did his trade with a company that eventually closed shop, so he bought all the gear & went on his own. I asked "How much for a speedo like that?" He said probably $70 to $120. He is in Sydney, but small stuff is cheap to post. Paul Hopfe - Norwest Instruments. Ph. 0432 389158.
(I don't have any spare late speedos, only earlys).
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks for the info Matt.

I'll see how I go with the reassembly, it just won't have a white wheel for the tenths of miles.

Cheers
Rob

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 am

Car(s): 67 BELLETT SEDAN. 66 AUTO SEDAN PARTS CAR.HAD GT NOW AT ORPHANAGE
gday rob i will have a look tomorrow in my cave i think i have a later model speedo ..let me know if you are still chasing one regards davo in qld

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks Davo.
Give me another week or so to rebuild the one I have.
I reckon it will work, fingers crossed ... just got to get the exhaust finished first.

Cheers
Rob

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:58 am

Well, I couldn't fix it with a hammer, so my alternator problem is electrical ... dang it : (

Good news is that the exhaust is on ...

FRUSTRATION !!!! trying to weld paper thin rusty exhaust tubing !!!!!

Looks cool though. The final product while not as pretty as a professional shop wood do it will suffice for now.

Attachments:
final_exhaust_web.JPG
final_exhaust_web.JPG [ 50.03 KiB | Viewed 27168 times ]
not_pretty_web.JPG
not_pretty_web.JPG [ 51.24 KiB | Viewed 27160 times ]

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Thats some tricky welding, Rob!! You must have a nice gentle MIG. One thing I don't like is exhaust work - always seem to get bits of rust in my eyes! I'm taking betty to Young to get a new system from the extractors back as there's nothing there at the minute. Could be a noisy trip! Oh well, only 70 k's! Bam balaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMM!
Hey, nice to see the spare tiedown bolt cover intact - rare spare!
Cheers, matt.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Yeah, too right mate. Those curves are usually done with a bender on new tubing. Yours is a piece of art, Rob. How many sections ? :o .

Matt, I had the strange fortune of driving the rolled 66' PR90, after we had retrieved it from the paddock, and pulled the whole exhaust off way back to the extractors because it was completely twisted :twisted: On top of that it was sans windscreen, full of dirt and had every panel severely damaged (I hear some oohs out there, yep guys, very painful). But it was like low flying some half wounded WW1 Biplane. I ended up wearing a beenie, ski goggles and industrial grade earmuffs for 30 k,s, "biggles flies again" :lol: Have an interesting journey mate, sounds like it'll be worth it.

B.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah guys, the mig is a gas-less hobby one I picked up in Longreach a couple of years ago. You just gotta get the right wire to make it work. Not all wire is created equal!

The exhaust is a bit of an illusion, as it is only four sections. The first part is the original exhaust cut up (into 3 pieces) and realigned to go past the diff and spring. The rear section was a piece of straight that I ground some slots in at the appropriate places, bent and then welded closed. Would have loved to make one out of new pipe with a bender, maybe later (Might also use a bit smaller pipe and tips, twin 2 and half inch outlets are a bit of overkill- free though, thanks Paul).

On the noisy car thoughts; I've only driven one car with no exhaust and that was because the end fell off (forgot to do the clamps up). Made an awful racket as it departed the car (doing about 80kph), the car sounded pretty good without it though (360 in '74 Chrysler).

Update on Bella. The next job is to finish off the patina, doors and B pillar are painted now and with this weather we're having the paint should be dry enough to rub back.
So until the next update ... ciao

Cheers
Rob

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 am

Well how time flies.

Drivers side window frames and B pillar to sand back, passenger side front door and guard left to sand.

Still waiting on rack rubbers and finish assembling the speedo.

16 days to go until AJD ... :D

Cheers
Rob

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Possibly on another posting Rob, but where are you sourcing new rack rubbers, man !! I'm due for a change, 'cause I cleaned out the originals ( turned to some sort of gooy mush ) and replaced them with home made 3.5 mm thongs :lol:
Always gotta keep an eye on them for movement tho' just a pain,

Can't wait to see Bella in the flesh,

B 8-)

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Farmer wrote:
Hey Rob. A guy rolled up to me at Motorfest & said he rebuilds instruments. Said he did his trade with a company that eventually closed shop, so he bought all the gear & went on his own. I asked "How much for a speedo like that?" He said probably $70 to $120. He is in Sydney, but small stuff is cheap to post. Paul Hopfe - Norwest Instruments. Ph. 0432 389158

There's a gauge place called Gaugeworx I think on Port Road in Adelaide. They rebuilt my tacho in the GT. Well, actually they gave me a box of dusty parts and said, "here's your old tacho" and had sectioned an entirely new tacho on the back of the old face.

However, it seems to under-read a fair bit (like a FAIR bit) and by the time I worked that out it was way too late to take it back to them. But that was about $120 five years ago, so they may still be in the same ballpark.

Those the odo on the new-shape speedos always seems to die!

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 pm
Profile WWW

GTtoo wrote:
Possibly on another posting Rob, but where are you sourcing new rack rubbers, man !! I'm due for a change, 'cause I cleaned out the originals ( turned to some sort of gooy mush ) and replaced them with home made 3.5 mm thongs :lol:
Always gotta keep an eye on them for movement tho' just a pain

I'm gonna get some new rack rubbers made up through Technical Urethanes in Adelaide.

How's this; Steve Slater went in there and got some engine mounts made up and I went there a couple of years ago to discuss rack rubbers with them. They said to bring in a minty one and they can replicate it.

Anyway, I still haven't got one out of one of my cars (GT one should be OK, but is covered is a kilogram of muck and I haven't had the inclination to pull it out).

So the other day, this guy rings me at work to advise he's sold a car and bought a car and he said he bought a ute coz he bought this urethane business and moved it closer to his house.... after some talking I realised he bought Technical Urethane! Lucky he rang and got me, because I would have seen it's closed down and cried that I didn't get the rubbers done in time.

When I do get them done, I'm going to get about 20 pairs made up; I need new pairs for all three of my cars with rack rubbers (Wasp is safe) and owe Steve Slater two pairs as he gave me some parts as a swap and I haven't forgotten. Plus I figure there's going to be plenty of people that want a pair! Lindsay from QLD used modified Camry ones, but he had to cut them and then glue them together and I'm, more keen to get a complete unit and just slam it in!

Being urethane, it won't compress the same as rubber, so it may necessitate a couple of washers in the bolts. This is what Brett told me when he got some made up through a guy in NSW a few years ago and I can't imagine this other one will be any different.

I will post something when I get closer to doing it. The PR91 is off the road now, so I have no excuses except for filling my shed with crap that I'm slowly sorting out!

Stay tuned! Sorry to get so far off topic!

Cheers,

Dave

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next