View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Frazer Nash 

Car(s): Hillman (Bellett ancestor), Rallied a Bellett in the 1970s, Owned a Gemini, Bellett GTR 1:43
Not Isuzu, and not Japanese but hopefully interesting. This car is a Frazer-Nash, an English sports car from the 1930s. This one is owned by a member of the club I am in, and regularly shows up at events like "Wheels" and British Car Day - despite its age it is still on full registration. One of the interesting things is that it has a solid rear axle and Chain Drive - so no differential! This tends to make it go straight ahead at corners. I was talking to the owner and he tells me there is a technique which involves getting the rear end to 'hop' (break traction) to make cornering easier - it helps if the road is bumpy!

Cheers, Vic

Attachments:
FNashSmall.jpg
FNashSmall.jpg [ 183.56 KiB | Viewed 6202 times ]

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Hi Vic,
This car was taken some years ago to NRMA Motorfest, I spoke to the owner and his daughter I think he said she was, he picked her and travelled via Yass and CRUISED along the motorway/highway to Sydney at 120klms/hour according to him.
MAJORITY OF HIS BITS WERE SOURCED FROM GB,( look out Pombellett!! ) Parts from GB??

1500cc motor, very light, VERY interesting motor car.
Dave M.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:11 am

Car(s): Hillman (Bellett ancestor), Rallied a Bellett in the 1970s, Owned a Gemini, Bellett GTR 1:43
Hi Dave,

It wouldn't surprise me if he did cruise it at that kind of speed, the car is in pretty good shape and they did have a competition history. The owner isn't afraid to use it and has even built a matching trailer to carry luggage when he goes touring in it.

Vic

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 am

Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
These cars were top end sports cars in the early 30s and are highly desirable, especially in Europe, today. If you want to see some good pics of the sideways style of driving these things have a look at the pics on this website.
http://www.blakeneymotorsport.com/racing.html
They are definitely capable of the speeds mentioned earlier (especially if they contained the fabled Meadows engine), as the bloke who has this website averaged 80mph (128 kph) for a twelve lap race at Goodwood Revival in 2007.
Steer with the rear

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]