View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Yarra Glen Car show 17th May, 2015 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Yarra Glen 'Car Show"

Yarra Glen is a small town to the East of Melbourne with many wineries nearby. The show is held at the Racecourse and usually attracts a huge number of cars of all types. Funnily enough, even though the weather was fantastic on the day and before, the attendance seemed way down on previous years. Perhaps the publicity was lacking as even the food stalls were limited to just one local charities barbq setup. They made a killing I think !

I didn't take many pictures but a couple caught my eye. Mainly because "I used to have one of them" ! Apart from the various early Holdens that I have had these two are pretty rare. My Dad had a business on about 20 acres way back and I taught myself to drive on this land when i was in my early teens. The car was a 1928 Fiat 501, just like this one. Well, not quite, mine was in dire need of restoration unlike this one, had next to no upholstery and had to be push started. (on my own, which was fun?)

The other car was I think the second car I ever owned, a red 1963 Skoda 'Felicia' convertible. (mine was white) As is usual, this car was a 'project'. My Dad and I found it languishing in the back of a panel shop. It had been rear ended. Probably the start of my many 'project' cars ! It was a bit like a GT, had twin carbies although this one did not, having had a bigger engine fitted. These are very rare, only 4 known in Australia. Original engine was a powerhouse 1100cc ! Typical for small cars, especially Europeans. Probably not a 'cool' car to have but in those times (60's) everybody wanted to go with me with the roof down!

The Cortinas in front of us were interesting. One was a 2 door left hand drive with twin cam engine. We all did a double take seeing that car and talking to the enthusiastic owner.
Out of shot was a row a Volvo's. The model escapes me now, but it was sporting the new Vic Roads club permit "M plate" (or modified car). He popped the hood for us to see a 4 litre Toyota V8 with manual box, nestling in there, looking like a factory job. The workmanship on this car was amazing.

On the Bellett front, we had four cars. My Sport, Brett's GT, Grants black sedan and Gavin's "Pat Crea" sedan. I always admire Gavin's participation, as he has to travel many km to attend any event. The Bellett's created quite a bit of interest, as usual.

Attachments:
Yarra Glen 2015.jpg
Yarra Glen 2015.jpg [ 341.45 KiB | Viewed 10354 times ]
Skoda Felicia 1963.jpg
Skoda Felicia 1963.jpg [ 418.06 KiB | Viewed 10356 times ]
1928 Fiat 50112.jpg
1928 Fiat 50112.jpg [ 413.58 KiB | Viewed 10356 times ]
Yarra Glenn 2.jpg
Yarra Glenn 2.jpg [ 428.69 KiB | Viewed 10356 times ]

Last edited by Glenn on Mon May 18, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon May 18, 2015 10:31 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
thanks for the post glenn nice to see the old classics .....still the belletts are the show winners ....davo

Mon May 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Also, the cream KE55 Corolla (with the black bonnet) is a BCCV member.
Darren joined last year as has been getting his Corolla together. He's also in the market for a Bellett sedan.

Tue May 19, 2015 2:51 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Nice to see Black Betty out with her mates, and you fellas flying the flag. Goodonyez!
Do I see different seats in there? Gotta be comfy I guess. Strange thing is, I'm comfortable in the standard jobs. I suppose my spine formed into them while I was still growing. :?
Cheers, Matt.

Wed May 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Has early Gemini high back seats. Came out of my GT when I put Recaros in it. Also got full deluxe trim, dash and carpets.
Has been lowered a bit, disc brakes (the new conversion.... was the guinea pig), and new wheels.
Is getting a 1600 and later box conversion soon and a full set of deluxe brightwork with tinted glass.

Fri May 22, 2015 3:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]