View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
"Aunty Mary" 

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
Hey hey there have been games afoot this past month that I have missed. (been living the life of a hermit in the sand dunes of Doube Island Point since house sold)

Congrats on the Flo' X2 score Matt, must say that I likey very much. Very nice. Extras are always a welcome bonus.
The mags look the same as a set I had on a datto 180B a few years back, I got them off a mates celica.
Love to see the smile spread across Gary's face too with the arrival of his new 117 baby.

Well done lads :)

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Thanks Stickman, hope you're getting by O.K. At least you're in the warmer country I suppose!
Come for a visit if you get the idea- We can show you some cold country. Minus 6 C frosts the last 2 mornings!
Cheers, Matt.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Just in case anyone thinks I've been slack.............
Finally got the seals for the re-sleeved master cylinder & slipped it in.
Had my first drive today to have the exhaust replaced. Yep, they're very different to Belletts!
A bit of rear wheel lock-up until the brakes settled in, then good bite from the Discs.
A little wandery in the tail - yeah, needs new shackle rubbers.
Ran right on the bottom edge of the 'normal' temp range for 7/8ths of the trip, then got real warm. Topped up rad for the return trip, put it down to air lock & headed home. All good for 20 k's, then heated up & boiled! :?: :x . Stopped, waited (Cleaned all the glass), topped up. O.K for the rest of the trip (50k's), but with occasional rises & drops. Random! :?
BUT the heater blows HOT air, and keeps the windscreen clear! (Cold & rainy all day). Woo-Hoo DeLuxe modern luxury!!

Not too much to do now! (Better re-check the cooling system though!)

Fun? Yep! - mostly.
Cheers, Matt. :D

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Car(s): GT.
Hey Matt,
Have you definitely checked out the brakes? Florians did not come with disc brakes!!

By the sound of that if you have disc's you have scored well, Florian brakes were always unpredictable!!
Dave.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Oh yeah mate, Fitted with G.T. discs. :) There are plenty of bonuses with this deal!!

Went through the parts bin today - found a triple core radiator (Chev Luv?)
Might bung it in, the original one looks a bit blocked.

Shackle rubbers out & getting new ones tomorrow.
All good!
Cheers, Matt.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
of course the thermostat could be playing games with you as well.
Bung in a new one. for $12 odd dollars and 30 min of time its a good investment

OZ

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
triple core radiator is a chev luv item (when i had mine done they showed me one out of a luv 3core and it fits with no mods!) i have an origional radiator hanging in the shed, but have used the luv item in mine.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks Oz, The Stat is a newie (160 C Gemini). Checked in a cup of boiling water opens O.K.

Sadly the Radiator is a no-go, right width, but brackets in the wrong place. Might be Isuzu KB?
Probably rod clean or re-core the originals.

Ordered some seat belts today - Inertia reel with drop link (from roof mount) tailor made in Maroon to match upholstery - $129 ea. Not bad I reckon! (Standards approved)
Also Maroon statics for the back - $77 ea.
Cheers, Matt.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:40 pm

yours had the drop link from new? mine had a drop link added to the origional lap sash belt from the dealer only on the passenger side!
where you getting the rear ones from? might look at some for mine so i can cart the kids in it (if they are good!)
i have heard that they have mounting points in the back for belts but havent actually looked to see if they are there or not...

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

No mate, there's no drop-link at the minute and the belt is right up on my neck. The driver's is frayed too. :(
The supplier is 'Hemco' in Ballarat. Ph 03 5334 1213 & ask for Wayne. I was put on to them by a restoration workshop. The tailor them for pillarless & coupes (like Mustangs, etc.)
The rear has mounting points, but only for lap ('69 model). There is a double thickness spot in the parcel shelf that I'll add plates to. I'm going to ask if they make horizontal mount inertia belts & get them if they do - only $50 each extra.
Money well spent, I reckon.
Cheers, Matt. :)

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
just a quick note there, Matt.
i also used to check and thermostat by doing exactly that.

until the local guy at the parts shop said thats not how you do it Tommy!!

put it in warm water and bring it to the boil while watching the gap of the opening.
he said dropping it right into boiling water can work but you can end up with a sticky unreliable thermostat.

for what its worth.

:)

OZ

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Man that's a sweet Florian, Matt.

I was getting cranky with mine... it was going flat despite being disconnected and then was proving a pain to start.

I started looking at it.... and thinking.... maybe.... maybe I need the room......

Then I put the Bellett battery in it (which was entirely the wrong shape, it seems), occy-strapped it down (hard; don't worry!), got it cranking and took it for a spin.

Then I realised that it is still AWESOME. I went and bought the correct-shaped battery yesterday. Tuesday it's booked in to get the carby rebuilt (accelerator pump seems to be an issue; sometimes conks out when the power goes down) and eventually I'll get the gearbox issue seen to (very, very slow syncros in second; unsure how a 50,000 mile box could be such a problem; clutch guy reckons clutch is fine...)

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread with talk of MY Florian, but seeing yours, coupled with giving mine a few minutes of love and a cruise to the local pizza shop at West Beach made me (and Sarah) realise that it's a keeper!

What I need is more room.... and a Chevy LUV.

Cheers kids!

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 am
Profile WWW

Thanks OZ,
That's good to know. I'm glad that what I ACTUALLY did was to check the temp. of the water was 170F, put the stat in, watch it open, then close again as the temp dropped to 155F.
I took the radiator to be cleaned today & will find out if it's sound enough next week.

DAVE mate, not a hijacking, but a shareing of the love!
Glad to hear she has redeemed herself. The winter sure sorts out batteries that are getting on - the one in Doris is the same if I don't start her EVERY day.

Accelerator pumps seem to dry out if not used regularly, it sometimes helps to move the lift rod to the shortest position in the actuating arm - gives the biggest pump. I have also taken out the pump, let it dry, then rubbed vaseline into it, but the rebuild is probably the more permanant option!

Do you have Gear oil or engine oil in the 'box? Best is straight SAE 30 oil, (IMHO) particularly in winter. You can buy it from mower places for Honda & Briggs 4-stroke motors.
Try it, it lets the synchros spool-up quicker. If it's no better, you'll just have to get your double-clutch action happening!

They are a cushy cruise, and the kids are happy with the extreme spaciousness! ;)
Hmmm,.... Florian ute....tempting....you can find room!
Thanks for the compliments, I'm pretty stoked. :D
Cheers, Matt.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Hi Matt,
Can you tell me what the Radiator cap is for the Florian,ie PSI, if you replace yours can you let me know the part number please? and the thermostat that you used was 160c for Gemini?
No, I havn't bought a Florian, but have been trying to sort a few problems with Carols car.
Regards Geoff

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Dave

Speaking of Carbi re-build.

just had my original Blue Deluxe (late series with 3 screws holding front glass) Carbi done by Sprints Carbi service.
removed and dropped into the guys. Done in 2 days and man is she running some smooth and sweet now!!!

$220 dollars inc facing base, butterfly shaft bushed, full 4 type acid dipping etc.
cost me $200 12 years ago when last one done.

Good value me thinks.

OZ

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:43 pm

thanks oz, might have to send my spare florian carb down there! Always good to know decent businesses

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi Geoff,
The Radiator Cap is a 7lb one, (correct by workshop manual) but I don't know the number.
The Tridon Thermostat number is TT1-160 as listed for Gemini, 160 deg. F. This should sit the temp. needle at the bottom of the white section for both Florian and Bellett.

And nice to hear you're helping Carol out. Thank you. :)
Cheers mate,
Matt.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Thanks Matt, was at supercheap today and picked up a new thermostat, while there I checked the listings in the CPC catalogue and low and behold the listing icluded ISUZU, Colt, Bellett and Florian. Radiator caps 507/1, they didn't have one, but was listed.
Almost got excited to see them listed as most no longer list Bellett. :shock: :shock:
Geoff

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:48 am

Good news, the radiator was blocked, way bad :( , but the fella was able to rod clean it, solder some leaks & close-off a couple of seepy tubes. He said it's pretty weak - No guarantees. It's back in & holdig O.K., temp right on the bottom of the white section. :)
New windscreen being fitted as I write - same as Isuzu KB, Tinted & laminated $260 fitted. :D
Hope the chrome strip stays in. :?:
Getting close!
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 am

i know the feeling. last 2 radiators i have had Rod cleaned and repaired, were 65 and 85 percent blocked!! one car i drove all the way home from Melbourne and was very lucky the day was only 19C. she ran top of the white and just above the whole day.

update on the carbi re build. took the car for a 3-4 km run today and drives like a different car. Well worth the $220.

all ready for the B2B run with my Daughter at the wheel.

OZ

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next