View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Group A Gemini PF60E ZZR 

Car(s): John White DOHC Gemini Group A touring car
Hi guys, Dave here, thought you might like some pics of my little restoration project that i'm getting stuck into..

back in the day:

here it is as it was when i bought it, was set up for IPRA:

as it is now:

I have a lot of work to do, i'm still gathering info for the cams C of D application so i can restore it to race in historic group A & C, and if anyone has any pics of info i'd be most grateful. especially engine bay shots, as i do not have even ONE from back in the day!!

cheers, Dave.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:24 pm

another GENUINE group c/a race car amongst our ranks!
keep us posted on your progress.
cheers.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:40 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Didn't even notice this post; looks cool and unless they change the rules of Group C/A vintage racing, will hold its value forever!

88 is a lucky number too... probably!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

Cheers guys. I have tracked down John White from Vic who originally raced this car, and he has given me the contact details for Geoff Conway who did the spanner work on it for him. I have also chatted to David Sala who owned/raced the car in group A after John sold it, he sadly didnt remember much about the car and didnt seem too interested in it. I have also been lucky enough to track down another previous owner from 1993 who rallied it briefly, thankfully it was not damaged too badly while rallying. There are a couple of other previous owners to find though, one fellow by the name of Andrew Manson (i have heard has a tyre shop or something similar in Vic) in Berwick bought the car from David Sala in 1988 after it's group A eligibility expired. He kept it until 1991 when he sold it to Micheal Wood from SA, who was the first to rally the car, and these are the two i'd most like to speak to, as i'd love to track down the 40L and 80L alloy tanks the car had in group A..

Also, the fellow i bought it from (Grant in SA), sold the dohc and special gearbox to a fellow on the western side of brisbane in about 2003 or so, he actually drove the engine and box up to qld in the back of his 4wd during a family holiday! I would dearly love to track these parts down aswell! So far i have found a PF60E G180W minus intake manifold/tb/piping etc, dohc 5 speed X2 with one remote shifter, and one 3.9 ZZR disc brake LSD complete from disc to disc (as well as the one that was still in the car when i bought it). I would like to have a spare of everything as i plan on being active in the historic group A/C series when it's done.

PS cheers to Greg who dropped me a line during the week with a good contact :)

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 am

Redzone wrote:
There are a couple of other previous owners to find though, one fellow by the name of Andrew Manson (i have heard has a tyre shop or something similar in Vic) in Berwick

yep, sure does.
used to of "Manson's Racing Tyres" fame in the day, and was the Bridgestone race dealer.
that's now handled by anotrher Bellett owner on here!

Andrew is.... i think.... at "Manson's Tyres Plus" in Berwick. 03 9707 2199.
if not, it'll be his brother, Glen, who did alot of spanner work for him too.

cheers.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:34 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
i just love reading about the Provinance of a car...
especially one that is unusual and very close to a lot of our hearts.

between posts like this, Dave's rants and raves both here and the GOA, and Pombellett story, there is always some good reading to be had

keep up the good work everyone

OZ

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 am

PR91 wrote:
Redzone wrote:
There are a couple of other previous owners to find though, one fellow by the name of Andrew Manson (i have heard has a tyre shop or something similar in Vic) in Berwick

yep, sure does.
used to of "Manson's Racing Tyres" fame in the day, and was the Bridgestone race dealer.
that's now handled by anotrher Bellett owner on here!

Andrew is.... i think.... at "Manson's Tyres Plus" in Berwick. 03 9707 2199.
if not, it'll be his brother, Glen, who did alot of spanner work for him too.

cheers.

Mate you're a legend, cheers!!

And thanks Oz for the kind words. Would you believe this car came up for sale on the ozgemini forum before anywhere else, and it was the day after i crewed on Craig Neilson's group A starion at lakeside historics.. I was a goner once i found out it had the original logbook and hadnt been cut up. It does need a full resto though, the shiny paintjob is masked up wrong and is the wrong colour shades unfortunately, and it really needs the interior/engine bay/boot area/underside massaged and painted, as it has never had a birthday since it was built in 1985... I'm selling my import widebody Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR to pay for the bodywork!! Once it's back i should be able to do the rest myself as i'm a mechanic.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
dave im out of my depth here but found a site has a treasure of photos even has a few shots of brock on his way to win the first bathurst the site was ... http://forums.biante.com.au/showthread. ... ace-Photos hope you find it thers hundreds of shots all cars all years bathurst ,winton, calder adelaide gp ..cheers davo oh i think one is dick johnson ..who lives on the gold coast ,the other is i think thunderdrome at calder

Attachments:
Scan1-16[1].jpg
Scan1-16[1].jpg [ 57.78 KiB | Viewed 18739 times ]
131[1].jpg
131[1].jpg [ 65.66 KiB | Viewed 18739 times ]
Brock3[1].jpg
Brock3[1].jpg [ 62.16 KiB | Viewed 18739 times ]
Brock2[1].jpg
Brock2[1].jpg [ 62.31 KiB | Viewed 18739 times ]
Brock1[1].jpg
Brock1[1].jpg [ 36.58 KiB | Viewed 18739 times ]
Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Cheers mate, yeah i sifted through the pics on the Biante forum when i first bought the car, found a few of the gemispares red ZZR group A car but none of mine. Good reminder though to go back and check it though!

Funny you should post pics of Brock's 72 Bathurst winner, as my dad actually owned that car between 76 and 79 (he bought it off Dick Johnson too would you believe). Wish it was still in the family needless to say! Dad sold it for $7000..

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
mate who knows what it would be worth now ??? could be name a price cheers davo

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Same guy owns it now that bought it from the guy dad sold it to! He got it in 82 or thereabouts. It's in the bathurst museum at the moment too i believe..

I called another previous owner yesterday, guy by the name of Darren Nelson, he rallied it in 93. A LOT of the blanks were filled in by talking to him, unfortunately he chucked the original long range tank and dry break fuel filler system back when he had it due to weight and the fuel system being a bit tired. Nice guy though and he MIGHT have some period engine bay pics, and maybe some of the tank! Which is about as good as i could hope for, with pics i can replicate it...

Still have to call Mansons!

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
:D these cars are real racing love all the old stuff :D not like the crap they are racing these days v8 supercars which are going down the same road as nascar , same cars with different panels ,

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]