View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
My 1978 Holden TD Gemini panelvan 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Well, there haven't been any other Isuzus entered in this section for a while, so I thought I'd better add mine!

I've got a Holden Gemini panelvan; 1978-build (June actually, just like me!).

It's not technically an Isuzu; as locals will know the cars were sold by Holden in Holden dealerships and were not only badged as Holdens, but were built at Holden's Acacia Ridge plant in Queensland using local and imported parts.

They're a real bitsa.... the engine was built in Japan by Isuzu and still has Isuzu on the rocker cover. Isuzu's MSG-type 5-speed manual was built in the Phillipines. The TD-model-onwards had a Salisbury-type differential and rear axle that was made locally.

I'm yet to determine if the front panels were stamped locally or if they were imported, but i'm fairly certain the actual floorpans were stamped locally, as it was noted in a book I saw once that the TE-model-onwards Diesel version had a fully imported floorpan - that would make the petrol items locally stamped I reckon!

With the van and wagon, things get weird; as far as I can determine, the doors and rear panels came from Opel in Germany, while the plastic panels covering the blanked-out windows came from the Bedford Chevanne from the UK!

My particular item has been fitted with a G200Z motor, however since then it's not really been delivering the goods (so to speak) and while I was racing it at Mallala, it died in the arse (that's Australian for 'stopped working').

So it's laid up at the moment. It's got a bit of rust that needs to be tackled. I've been recommended to fit a 4ZE1 motor to it, so maybe I will!

Attachment:
Mallala - Gemini, Sarah & Adam waiting in pits.JPG
Mallala - Gemini, Sarah & Adam waiting in pits.JPG [ 94.16 KiB | Viewed 9263 times ]

Attachment:
Gemini at Lonsdale Train Station 02.JPG
Gemini at Lonsdale Train Station 02.JPG [ 74.95 KiB | Viewed 9259 times ]

I really miss driving it!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:04 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Buddy 125 scooter - hey, I live in NYC!
That's a nice li'l van. Were these tax exempt for business or something like that?

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:12 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Nah it really does depend on the registrations laws in any given Australian state, as they're all different.

In South Australia, the registration is based on number of cylinders, however as it was a commercial vehicle, it was classified as a 'commercial vehicle under 1 tonne' and as a result it was actually more expensive to register a Gemini van than it was the sedan or coupe!

I'm sure there were tax breaks for owning it in terms of income tax and refunds etc, but I don't get them coz it's not being used for commercial purposes. I just bought the van coz back in 'The Day' my mate had a sedan and another guy had a coupe so I wanted something different. Then another guy got a wagon and for a very short time (and only one photo) we had the whole set - sedan, coupe, wagon & panelvan!

I've got the car back at home now. It looks sad. But sometimes late at night I go out and stroke it.

Thanks for your support - it is a smooth looking van.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Car(s): Gemini TX Coupe G200W Delco EFI, Gemini TX sedan (SR20DET, track car), Dato 1200 Ute, Subaru Blitzen Wagon (4th gen)
That car still looks great. Will be excellent to see it on the road when you can!

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:16 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Car(s): 1968 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe (Polynesian Blue), 1974 Datsun 240z, 1970 Datsun Fairlady SRL311, 1966 Prince Skyline
Do you think you'll race that car again?

1971 S30 Datsun 240Z - Race car
1972 S30 Datsun 240Z

For more info, articles and pictures visit http://GarageofAwesome.com.au

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:35 am
Profile WWW

shit yeah! It looks extra tuff with a set of grooved race slicks on it!

I just needs to go better and be less rusty for that to go ahead! Patience... (and money)

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]