View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
rear wheel bearings 

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
any one got precedure of replacing rear wheell bearings ,

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:22 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Rod,
It is a big job, you have to also replace 2 collars on each half shaft, new ones are hard to get and the old one will be damaged taking them off to replace the wheel bearings.
Peter McKill from VIC I believe has new collars for sale, not sure what he signs on here as, I think it is "65 Bellett"
I replaced mine about 18 months ago, however I had a mechanic complete the job for me in Mudgee and did a good job.

You are aware the rears are greaseable?? Inside almost against the back of the wheel hub should be the grease nipples.

If you run into trouble let me know, will tis effect you coming to Motorfest?? I hope not?
Did you receive your envelope etc for entry to the assembly area?
I hope you will be there!! Looking forward to catching up again.
Dave M.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:10 am

rod... dave is right.
b-tard of a job. pull rear suspension out.... press the axle flange off the axle.... push out old collars... it's a turd!

me.... i'd grease the hell out of the existing ones first and see what its like.
and to elaborate on the grease nipples... they are on the underside of the bearing block, almost in against the brake backing plate.
also, theres a breather cap on the top of the bearing block. make sure thats clean too, coz when u pump the grease in, if thats blocked, it wont fill the bearings as it creates an air lock.
when i do mine, i just keep pumping grease in till it starts coming out of the breathe cap, and then u know there's plenty in there!
cheers.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 am

Car(s): 1968 Bellett 1300 2dr, 06 Scion XA ,05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo HO
Damn thanks for the information guys! after I did the front bearings we moved to the rear ones and determined pretty quickly that it wasnt something we were going to tear into ,so the rear wheels got buttoned up and we moved on .. we were just going to take our chances and grease them up ..... now I know what to look for ....
so we REALLY appreciate the information and advice as always ...... even though we didnt initiate the question ... :)

Mark

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Impulse -85, racing Bellett -67 1,5-liter 5-speed, GEO Storm -93 1,8 16V DOHC
I have cut the collars off with an angle grinder. After having put the new bearings on, I have put the whole axle with bearings into a freezer and the new collars on the electricity stove. When the axle is cold and the collar is so warm that it is red, you only drop the collars with tongs around the axle and it stops toward the bearing. After a while the collar stucks permanently to the axle. I think this is the easiest way to do it home.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
rear wheel bearings ,bit rough cuting them i got mine off no prob ,was bastard of job but was easy ,

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Car(s): Impulse -85, racing Bellett -67 1,5-liter 5-speed, GEO Storm -93 1,8 16V DOHC
I ment cutting off only the collars. The bearings are easy to knock off. How did you get the collars off? And how did you put them back? They are too tight and difficult to get off and new ones back only with a hammer. Or did you use the old ones? I have changed rear wheel bearings many times and first times were difficult, before I started to use this cutting and heat system. And this system saves time and nervs... New collars are still available.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 am

I ment cutting off only the collars. The bearings are easy to knock off. How did you get the collars off? And how did you put them back? They are too tight and difficult to get off and new ones back only with a hammer. Or did you use the old ones? I have changed rear wheel bearings many times and first times were difficult, before I started to use this cutting and heat system. And this system saves time and nerves... New collars are still available.

Last edited by Antti Pellonpää on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:52 am

Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
I'm with Rod on this one, we got Rolie's collars off with a bit of heat and a long legged puller, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]