View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
GT starter motors 

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
So I wear a wierd hair cut and drive a Bellett...... but can always pee straight in the bowl :lol: Farmiliar story??

Starting the GT with bung electrics and semi flat battery many times over three months has taken it's toll on the starter motor. Got a couple of good drives until I had to start carrying a small pein hammer, and a passenger around. Tap the starter with hammer while passenger flicks the ignition on and off to get GT started :roll: Then it wouldn't start at all.

Has anyone got a spare GT starter handy ?? Will pay something for it and pick up or extract if in the local area. Or maybe some info on where to get this one reconned in Southern parts of Oz ??

Got the starter out yesterday. Experienced campaigner, as this is the second starter in and out for blue beastie. If anyone needs a detailed explanation how to pull the starter out of a GT, let me know. It's a tight squeeze out from under the extractors in only one direction and mm precision. They were designed to extract only in one particular way with limited space. Plus be patient with the top bolt which seems to have an endless thread.

B.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Car(s): Gt Bellett, Rover 90, Rover 75 ,327 hk Monaro, 307 ht Ute, Mazda 6 wagon.
A sedan starter is the same unit and there should still be plenty of these about it sounds like you have a burnt out segment in the starter which can only be fixed buy rewinding the armichure which can be very exspensive hope this helps .

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
or it could just be the armature brushes finally worn down to the point of no more contact even if you tap it with a hammer.
should be able to still get them from most Auto Electricals for about $20 a set.
think i have a spare or 2 about the place if you need another starter unit

OZ

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:11 pm

That's great Oz !! But I've been punching air this arvo !! Took the starter to a small auto electrical place on North East Rd. almost opposite the constabelary, Holden Hill....next to Maccers.

After pondering about what this dinosour in front of him was, the good man whipped the end cover off not only to reveil 45 year old grunge, but also the arched off armature. "What's that off ??" He said he could shave back the burnt surface and regrove the copper, then look in his box of brushes and maybe find something to suit. "Call back this arvo to get the thumbs up or down, can't garuantee anything".

Made the call and it lives !! Waaahooo ! Pick up tommorw for $135. Put in and hopefully it's a goer. (damn tricky getting a starter out or into the GT ) However I'm not counting chickens here, so I'll keep the offer in mind Chris. Cheers for the quick responses dudes.

B.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh, and that's the other interesting thing you have answered which I was pondering Oz. The sedan and the gt DO HAVE the same starter unit. Big, heavy, about 5 kgs. Front suspension lifted half an inch when I took it out !!

B.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
Yes GT and sedan do share starters.
Also the Smith Bros Auto Electricals are pretty good on older car stuff. 3 brothers who are not too far off retirement but know their cars.

But not really good on late model cars. didnt know what to do with my wife's 2005 Holden Vectra when the alternator died.
just was too hard and rather not interested.

glad to hear its all coming together.

OZ

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:40 am

Cheers Oz, and good to hear your bird is flying well too with the carbie rebuild. Surprising how different things are when they work near as what they did originally.

The man at Smith's was very excited when he found out how much meat was in the armiture to work with. He also found brushes to siut in a box of miss fits. He dragged me out the back, very keen to demonstrate how well the starter works now. Electrified it on the bench, and........Kagiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing !!

Got it in that night. Wow, turns the engine that fast, almost throws it out of the car !! No starting probs, at least for a while.

And as for running the Beastie, now the reconned dizzy is settling in and timed / tuned ok. Had a drive to and from Elizabeth to pick up Liz from work. All I can say is......... WOW !

B.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:06 am

Good to here she is running so well.

amazing how much better they perform with some parts recond and setup correctly.

you are now getting some return for the excellent engine re build that was done some years ago.

glad to hear your enjoying it again

OZ

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:40 am

Car(s): 1980KBD40 ISUZU
My apologies for thread jacking but i have 3?? starters in working order suitable for Bellets if any ones interested.
The two on the left in picture have been removed from early Chevy Luvs and the one on right is unknown (Gemini/Jackaroo maybe).

Pics removed starters
SOLD :D

Last edited by OzLuvTrucker on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:04 am

one on the right could also be a twin cam as they had a short fat version of the Bellett/Early Luv motor.

what are you wanting for the motors, OzLuv?

dont have any early series Chev Luv motors kicking about?

OZ

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:05 am

all starters are interchangeable in a bolt on sense, but the early sedan's had a different engaging mechanism on them.
a twin cam unit will turn it over faster, and is what i use in my GT after the original died.
a gemini unit will bolt on and is very nearly as good as a twin cam, but it lays the solenoid over at a 90 degree angle to normal when fitted. this won't effect it's operation, but it does put the "+" terminal from the battery close to the shock tower. is still far enuf away to miss, but i put some extra insulation over the terminal to be safe.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:37 am

Car(s): 1978 TD Gemini
If the Gemini starter fits the 4ze1 reduction gear starter will fit too.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]