View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Removing window winders & door handles 

Car(s): 2x 1964/5 ' Teardrops' & 1967 Bellett &too many Valiants
Hi folks, I am working on my teardrop sedan,and need to take off a door trim to replace a front window.
I came to a halt right away - how do the window winders and inside door handles come off ? I can't see a circlip behind the round plastic washer,or maybe I need to bend it back more to see it (didn't want to break anything) ...?
Thanks,Rod.

Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
hi rod mate its a simple job(im simple)get ascrew driver and gently push back the chrome circle pushing it towards the handle or onto the trim and you will see a pin which is pushed out with a nail or small screwdriver there are no circlips on the teardrop models they came later ..oh dont lose the pins once you do the first its a piece of .cake hope i have explained it good enough for you stil have your 3 trims we shall organize them it appears the carriers mentioned in the forum look good i can chase it up id need a postcode cheers davo

Mon May 21, 2012 2:59 am

Hi Davo, Yep I just went out and checked them ,I can see the pin when I push the chrome ring back- just as you said.
I probably would have destroyed it before finding out how to do it ! Thanks heaps. Hopefully fitting another door glass is straightforward (front left ).
The old one is missing (was smashed before I bought the car),but have another to fit.
Also got a q. regarding front bumper over rider positions- will post a pic soon.
For the trims my post code is 2750-( Penrith ,NSW ),
Rod.

Mon May 21, 2012 9:11 am

nice one rod good to see you are starting to the the mechano set of the bellett ..have you a window ? i have a spare ....you can have . let me know also if you cant work out fitting a window its pretty easy i had all mine out when i put in the deluxe chrome surrounds (thanks to gerry bellett) keep at it mate they are a great past time cheers davo

Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 am

hey mate the bumper overiders check the little car for sale on ebay its got a photo of front and back hope this helps you cheers davo

Mon May 21, 2012 9:37 am

Yeah, the Bellett on ebay at the moment has the same front over-riders in the same spot as mine,but
my bumper is badly surface rusted,and I have a much better bumper to use ( from another Teardrop),but the problem is the over-riders are right in front of the clear blinkers,so would block them a bit.
There are no holes further out where they should be,Maybe someone has drilled holes (in the wrong spot) to fit them-Did they all have over riders? The holes are probably out by a good 20 to 25cm,and they are not in exactly the same spot .
I checked the rear bar ,and it looks like they are different (little longer where they curve around the body),so it is definitely a front bar.
i will hopefully post a pic later tonight to show.

Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 am

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Sounds to me that the bumper bar brackets may be upside down, lifting the bar up.
Cheers Geoff

Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am

Here's the pics of 2 bumpers side by side. My rusty one ,and the other with the over riders blocking the blinkers,shown on the car
Hopefully also they are not upside down ?
Also a pic of the mirror I asked about ( in wanted section). I think Davo said it might be a rare :( Deluxe type ?

Attachments:
IMG_9636.JPG
IMG_9636.JPG [ 972.62 KiB | Viewed 27298 times ]
IMG_9635.JPG
IMG_9635.JPG [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 27298 times ]
IMG_9634.JPG
IMG_9634.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 27298 times ]
IMG_9637.JPG
IMG_9637.JPG [ 598.51 KiB | Viewed 27298 times ]
Mon May 21, 2012 11:44 am

geez thats a curly one the old bumper is the same as the ebay one checking the distance from the crank handle hole ..the newer looking bumper and yet with a crank hole and so different spacing come on farmer you have a few of these ...solve the mistery and what about the mirror ? cheers davo

Mon May 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Looks like the overiders have been relocated, is there any evidence that that the old holes have been filled and then rechromed?
The only Bellett that has indicators and park light in different position was the GT and the real late Belletts. :?

Mon May 21, 2012 12:11 pm

reckon your right geoff ...maybee the owner got a set of gt foglights abd thought geez they wont fit in here so re position the overiders to let the spottys fit and fill the old holes and rechrome ????????????????? cheers davo

Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
On my '65 Teardrop the front over riders are 1020 mm. apart. On my '67 Deluxe sedan the front over riders are 740 mm. apart. Both cars are original. Hope this helps.
KB

Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Those measurements are to the centres of the over riders....
KB

Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
in case you want to re-chrome.... Huntingdale Platers told me $350-$450 depending on condition.

glenn

Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 am
Profile WWW

gentlemen the early cars had different bumpers and overriders to the later cars.
early ones have the parker/indicator nearer the centre of the car with the long skinny overriders outside of them while late cars have this reversed with the flat and squarer overriders.
added to this is differences in the rear bar being either 1 piece or 3 piece, and again the GT bars are different to them all.
also the early and late overriders IN SOME CASES aren't interchangeable as the bolt location was either rite at the front or on the top face of the bar...
basically, check check and check again with these things, front AND rear.

Tue May 22, 2012 2:31 am

of course this means the front stone tray is then different between early and late sedans as the light mount holes are moved... and GT ones are of course different again...
as for your window, remember that factory deluxe glass was tinted with a slight blue tinge whereas the standard cars were straight clear glass. looking thru the windows at a sheet of white paper will tell u what u already have and make sure u get the same as even tho the tint is slight, mixing them up looks bloody terrible!

Tue May 22, 2012 2:40 am

hey brett didi the model after the teardrop have a crank handle hole in the bumper or was that just on the old 3 bearing motors ? cheers davo

Tue May 22, 2012 8:38 am

The Teardrop is a '65 model ,and I have a later model '67 Bellett too (square tail lights) and have done all the measurements on both model bumpers (rusty original one,and '67 one with short wider overiders) - I got same measurements as KJB did .
There are no welded up holes in the good Teardrop bumper I want to use,but there are 2 holes behind where the overider bolts up (one above the other) Only one hole has been used.
My guess now is that a later model Bellett bumper has been used,with the early Teardrop overiders fitted ,as the spacing is almost the same as my '67,only 10mm difference.I guess the original hole would have been in the wrong spot,so another drilled above or below it ? only problem of course is they block the blinkers!
Maybe I am better off with the later overiders that sit a lot lower & should clear the blinkers,or no over riders ,and holes everywhere.
Davo, I also checked behind the number plate on my '67,and can feel the crank handle slot in the bumper ,same as the Teardrop.
Thanks for all the advice - i didn't even realises the early & later Belletts blinkers were in a different spot until I read PR91's reply.
Much to learn :)

Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 am

and to replace the door window, as they are square and flat, u have to remove the whole window frame from the door, slide it into the frame and refit.
trust me, no amount of twisting and turning will get it in otherwise.
the frame has a multitude of bolts in the door itself, including down the B pillar face, behind the door trim, and don't forget the 10mm nut that waaaaaaay up under the vent window that's always missed.

Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 am

yea that little 10mm under the quarter window is a doozzy get a big can of wd40and let it sit ,and now you start to work out how the japanese could put it together faster than us look at the little hands and build to slide around the car ..by the time you have been under and over the bellett you will start to see how small a car they are but gez its a challenge and fun keep at it lets know if you get stuck i have no winders . door handles but have boxes of the bakelite door circle and the door pulls and the little chrome caps ..all free ....let me know if you want any ? regards davo

Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next