View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Top front suspension arm bushes and spring upper pads ? 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Top front suspension arm bushes and spring upper pads needed ?

One of the top suspension bushes in my Sport appears to be chopped out. It's sitting on a severe angle to the bolt through it. ......anybody know where to get another one or an alternate part ?
Years ago, some in the BCCV found some brand new upper arms. I used to have a couple also but alas, gave them away :(

also.... the top spring pads..... they need replacing......(probably the result of the heavy duty suspension!) i think somebody mentioned a Commodore fits ? Model if so or ?

glenn

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 am
Profile WWW

commodore rear sadles fit. From vb to vs i think :?: They are thicker and made of urathane if you wanted to you could machine them down. The upper control arms i used some i will have to find a part number but i found some the same length and od but the sleeve in the centre was too larger id so they were sleeved.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:46 am

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Glen ... Just a tip if you need to machine urethane bushes in a lathe to resize then. You get a
better finish if you put the bushes in the freezer overnight.

Cheers, Lewis

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
we used commodore rear upper spring insulators on Robs car, they suit vb-vs as said before, pedders were doing them in 2 different thickness in rubber (black) part no 5854 and 5855. the eurothane (red) are ep385 and ep385/10

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
commodore rear sadles fit. From vb to vs i think :?: They are thicker and made of urathane if you wanted to you could machine them down. The upper control arms i used some i will have to find a part number but i found some the same length and od but the sleeve in the centre was too larger id so they were sleeved.

thanks for the Commodore info and also P/N in another post.

would appreciate the p/n for a bush also. I can make sleeve for it ok if needed.

Mine seems to have suffered from either failure or the top mount bracket being fitted badly on an angle but is suspect that the bush has actually failed though. I imagine these heavy duty springs put some high loads on suspension parts.

thanks for freezer tip Lewis.

glenn

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:44 am
Profile WWW

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Glenn wrote:

One of the top suspension bushes in my Sport appears to be chopped out. It's sitting on a severe angle to the bolt through it. ......anybody know where to get another one or an alternate part ?

Set of four 85 Durometer polyurethane upper control arm bushings and stainless steel center sleeves for Bellett: $200.00 USD + Shipping.
Does not include any washers, bolts, or brackets, just the bushings and center sleeves.
Note, left and right halves are NOT the same pattern, for correct fit, the bushings are stepped to fit against the bore of the control arm that has been deformed by installation of the original steel sleeved rubber bushings.
Terms: Item is not completed. Design of whole set is complete, waiting for capitol to fund tooling and production cost. With a prepaid order for one set of upper bushings, I can do those molds and run a set of bushings and center sleeves, and get about 1/4 of the way done with the set for the entire car.
I could _try_ to ram this through by Christmas if contacted immediately. Otherwise, I am looking at other expensive projects that would divert my time and budget away from the Bellett bushings for another season.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:56 pm

what's the best (easiest, safest) way to remove the top arm only ?
I was planning to jack the car under the lower wishbone to take the weight and keep spring compressed, then unbolt the upper ball joint (4 bolts) and reove the inner two bolts to take off the upper arm.

anybody done this before or have some ideas on this ??

glenn

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 am
Profile WWW

JT191 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Set of four 85 Durometer polyurethane upper control arm bushings and stainless steel center sleeves for Bellett: $200.00 USD + Shipping.
Does not include any washers, bolts, or brackets, just the bushings and center sleeves.
Note, left and right halves are NOT the same pattern, for correct fit, the bushings are stepped to fit against the bore of the control arm that has been deformed by installation of the original steel sleeved rubber bushings.
Terms: Item is not completed. Design of whole set is complete, waiting for capitol to fund tooling and production cost. With a prepaid order for one set of upper bushings, I can do those molds and run a set of bushings and center sleeves, and get about 1/4 of the way done with the set for the entire car.
I could _try_ to ram this through by Christmas if contacted immediately. Otherwise, I am looking at other expensive projects that would divert my time and budget away from the Bellett bushings for another season.

Afraid Ican't run to $200+ JT191. I will either get a similar part here or find second hand one.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Glenn wrote:
what's the best (easiest, safest) way to remove the top arm only ?
I was planning to jack the car under the lower wishbone to take the weight and keep spring compressed, then unbolt the upper ball joint (4 bolts) and reove the inner two bolts to take off the upper arm.

anybody done this before or have some ideas on this ??

glenn

I would find a pretty big crash helmet and a good set of running shoes if I was going to do that. maybe new pair of undies as well :shock:
Have you ever seen them go off ?? Spring clamps only way to go..
Geoff

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:51 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
I havent taken an upper arm out of a bellett yet, but i have done a truck load of hq/wb and lh/lx torana uppers and from looking at the bellett it would be a similar process. jack up car and put safety stands under it, then jack up lower control arm till the spring is compressed a little (shouldnt have to take out the shock and if you leave the shock there the shock will stop the spring popping out!) undo the upper ball joint then undo the inner bolts and the arm should come out!
Just remember to use the appropriate safety gear.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:00 am

mrflibbles wrote:
I havent taken an upper arm out of a bellett yet, but i have done a truck load of hq/wb and lh/lx torana uppers and from looking at the bellett it would be a similar process. jack up car and put safety stands under it, then jack up lower control arm till the spring is compressed a little (shouldnt have to take out the shock and if you leave the shock there the shock will stop the spring popping out!) undo the upper ball joint then undo the inner bolts and the arm should come out!
Just remember to use the appropriate safety gear.

thanks, i figured that it 'should' be ok if the weight of the car is held with a jack under the bottom. Sounds like it should work ok.

glenn

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]