View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Late GT/GTR Tail Light lenses. 

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Those of you out there that have late GT/GTR Tail lights, how many of you out there would be interested in the individual lenses for those tail lights?

I may have found a Company who might be prepared to give this a go, however set up is about 2 1/2K, to manufacture say 800 to 1000 lenses in the 3 colours, the reversing light being white, it may cost around $50-00 a lense!
Better than being taken off the road due to being illegal.

ARE YOU INTERESTED???

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:25 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Please expand a little on the information.

This is the tail lights with the square white lens and two rectangular red lenses on each side?

$50AUD per lens is for each one of the six lenses required to outfit one vehicle?

Three colors? Do you mean three patterns? The clear one, the red one without the reflector, and the red one with the reflector?

From the setup cost, this sounds like a professional job that would be using a very high quality plastic which is not brittle or susceptible to UV damage?

800 sets of lenses or 800 individual pieces? That's a lot of lenses, enough to do 133 cars if it is individual pieces.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:55 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Yes you are quoting the correct lenses.

The white lenses seem more susceptable to ultrviolet damage, the orange and red lense would be made from the same dye, the colour would not be a big issue.
As I believe this site is being accessed world wide I would not think that is a lot of lenses.
That price is approximate, yes $50-00 per lense, $300-00 per full set!
The frames are great it is only the lenses that seem to be the problem.

When one can not obtain these anywhere I have tried, we really don't have too many options.
I know there are new sets of sedan tail light assemblies around for the same model available, however that is not original. (in fact I have 1 complete new set of sedan lights in case of emergency)

For a start I would take at least 2 full sets.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:19 am

Car(s): BellettGT, Wasp, Florian, Piazza, Jackaroo
If you are not into originality, then sedan tails are better - less prone to damage; simple flat one-piece lens for cleaning etc. (Both my GTs have sedan taillights.)
A bigger market too!

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:44 am

JT191 wrote:
This is the tail lights with the square white lens and two rectangular red lenses on each side?

in australia, we have an orange coloured indicator/flasher/blinker Bellett's.
red indicator's are illegal here.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am

PR91 wrote:
JT191 wrote:

in australia, we have an orange coloured indicator/flasher/blinker Bellett's.
red indicator's are illegal here.

We always called amber rear turn signals "European tail lights", and my preference is for yellow color turn signals. I did not know Australia required them or that they were required that far back.

Having never seen any lit up, the Japanese ones look like both rectangles on each side are red. I would have expected Japan to use amber turn signals too. This could be one of those plastics that looks red when not lit, and yellow when lit up.

I'm finding new original lenses on auction for 18,000 Yen. But, if the Japanese lenses have red turn signals, I would be interested in the Australian lenses with the yellow. Especially if the newly produced ones are made with a more modern material that is more durable.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes it is the rectangular lenses, the outside is red, the next is amber then the white or clear revesing lense for Australia, however we probably due to the age of the cars now, get away with red,being classified as CLASSIC now.
I have seen other marques of cars of similar vintage with red blinkers, asked the question if they had been queried about the red blinker, no problems had been experienced in NSW at the time spoke to the owner.

The main lense I am concerned about is the reversing light which has crazed by UV light.
If I knew how to load a photo on I would, I have tried but it didn't work!!

I prefer to stay original, however I have 2 new sedan lights just in case they are required.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:11 am

down here, from what i'm lead to believe on cars over 25 years of age (the guideline for being a "classic"), it's a case of if it had red indicators from new, it's ok, providing there isn't an orange lense available, but if it had orange from new, then orange is it. under 25 years old, and it has to be orange as well.
i know that there are some NOS Bellett tailights about that have clear indicator lenses, but these just need an orange globe to make them OK.
maybe NSW is a bit different to Vic., as let's be honest, each state has there own ideas and rules for everything things else on cars, especially classic's, so anything is possible!! it would all be soooooo much easier to have one set of rules for the whole country...

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:15 am

I forgot to mention, I checked the color of the tail lights on the Japanese GT. They are red. No amber or yellow anywhere.

I'm going to suggest a theory: The home market in Japan had red turn signals. The cars shipped to Australia (and probably Europe) got yellow turn signals. The Japanese continue to supply red lenses based on the demand in their own market, leaving you guys down under without replacements.

I stated earlier, I like the yellow turn signals better. If you have them made, I would like to buy a set.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 pm

You are correct with lenses, in Australia the tail light is red and the turn lense orange, I am still looking into this issue so stay connected.
I still believe if we were only able to obtain the red turn lense, that we could get them trough registration, due to the rarity of the GT with the red lenses and the fact in NSW there are Classic cars that I have seen, at the many events I have been to, with red turn lenses and they are fully registered not only carrying Historic Registration.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:05 am

I don't believe you will find white lenses as turn signal lense for the model car I am talking about. White reversing lense yes (I want them also).
I also have seen white lenses for the pear shape tail light models and the models in between, but not post 1968. It would be nice cos as you stated an orange globe would resolve the problem.
If anyone knows of a white lense, I am listening/looking!!

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:39 am

In case you don't know what I am talking about!
Which I know most of you will!

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 am

Bugger it did not work@!!

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]