View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
body number on a wasp 

there's another one down here in Vic that's not on your list Matt that's getting the full resto as we speak too.
and there's another one in SA that dave knows about that was involved in the Bellett scene there a few years ago.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
So that'll be 9. Still single figures!. So, anyone know of any others?
Now, t-tops, there will be double figures there. But I can only bring to mind 11. What's your count mate?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Farmer wrote:
So that'll be 9. Still single figures!. So, anyone know of any others?
Now, t-tops, there will be double figures there. But I can only bring to mind 11. What's your count mate?

list what u can think of and i'll see what others i know of.
there'll be at least 1 that i can think of that u won't know about.

from what i can work out from when they were sold, the ratio of tray to ute versions was (at best) about 2 trays to 1 ute.
if that's so, i'd guess maybe 14-15 tray's, with the 9 utes, giving 23 or so left.
but are u also counting cars that have no hope of being resto'd (due to lack of parts, condition, etc.), or just those that are either still used or resto'able, because if it's just the usable ones, then those numbers i mention would be less than what we think.
cheers.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Hey Guy's
I have still today only have ONE recollection of a long wheelbase WASP that was here in AUS, that being Ted Freemans., please correct me if i an wrong? I think i have a photo of this table top storeded in my archives (somewhere)
Geoff.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 am

geoff, when i built mine in 1994 and took it to the old nationals in canberra, a guy from the sydney club (i wouldn't have a clue who it was tho....) said he had a long w/b wasp. all i can remember of him was he was a young guy back then, maybe mid 20's, and his dad was involved in the bellett scene too. i never saw the wasp in question tho.
maybe this was/is the same car?

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
This would be the "Hornmobile", circa 1982, just after I bought it off Ted and before I started a resto-of-sorts.

Attachment:
hornmobile.jpg
hornmobile.jpg [ 255.47 KiB | Viewed 18280 times ]

Yeah, chromed bumper & hubbies, from memory on 7 inch widened Wasp rims & baloon tyres.
L-O-N-G tray so you could get the FULL ton of spuds on!
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Hi Matt
Could you measure & post length of chassis from back of cab to rails & wheel base oh the hornmobile
cheers
see you in Coona
Ken

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Gees Ken, when I saw your post I thought you were going to ask if the air horns were for sale :twisted: :twisted:

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:46 am

no horns that size are no good to me I'd need to put a v8 in to pull the extra weight & Carol will only put a GT motor in the wasp. Iwas asking the length & w/base cause ours seems about 6-10" longer than the average stingy thing BE CAREFULL Geoff Carol reads the posts to.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:39 am

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
"Hornmobile" ....... heh heh heh

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:26 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Hi Matt, yes this was the BEAST, Do you still have it or did Dave Garnon buy it from you, as I know he has the horns. My last recolection of it was that it was sent to the great scrapyard in the sky?? Geoff.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 am

Hi all,
Ken, I'd really LIKE to measure the chassis for you, but sadly (Yes Geoff) I did sell it to Dave in 1988 (to help buy our first house). He bought it to drag his race car to meets, as Ted had done. Dave said he thinks it did go to the tip :cry: after he left it at someone's place and their kids jumped the roof in. (must have removed the horns first!)
It was a fair bit longer, I'll ask Gary as he remembers them in the dealers alongside the standard wheelbase.
I think the tray was 6' x 8', and it rode really well, but was slow enough on the hills! I did a lot of miles in it as I moved to near Coonabarrabran for 3 years and it was my transport for runs to Sydney (which from memory took about 8 hours!)
Ah the memories.......
Cheers mates, Matt.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks Matt
Sad to see it go to God that way
see you at coona
ken

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:41 am

The hornmobile did once grace the figure 8 circuit at Oran Park.After a challange from Phil Alexander from the Mazda Car Club here in NSW. Phil said that his new Mazda ute ( 1980,s something ?? )would kick is backside into the stratesphere, what Phil did not know at the time was that Dave and Ted had I think (age is catching up ) for better towing duties, had installed twin 45mm webbers, extractors, and a host of engine mods, cam etc. Verdict ISUZU 1 - Mazda 0,

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:11 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Hey Matt, was that a "Bellett CAR CLUB" sticker on trhe front guard??
Looks like it!!
D.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 am

Car(s): not enough!
lol matt matt matt
sooo young!.....
who's the hornmobile?....by the way its Monn.....lol
ya gotta smile! :o :lol: :P

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:36 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah Monn, it was a while ago! Beard is so short! Hair is so thick! Horns are..............different.
And yeah Dave, an original applied by Ted. Don't still have that either!
Geoff, I remember that day! The success was partly the donk, but also that Ted was FEARLESS! Some serious oversteer work! Was an '80's-something Mazda gonna go close? Naaah! There was intense rivalry between the Mazda & Bellett camps - I remember Dave Waldon's "Mazda Eater" sticker on his G.T. race car.
The Hornmobile came to me minus the motor with the hot-up goodies, a standard one in its place.
Happy days!
Matt.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2