View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Fitting windscreen trim 

Car(s): Bellett GT,
Looks like the windscreen's going in the GT this weekend, I've had two suggestions on fitting the chrome decorative, either at the time of fitting the windscreen or after it's been put in as it isn't a locking device. Which is easiest? Any ideas, as I can't remember the last time I did one with my dad.

Thanks, Gerry. :?:

Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hi Gerry,
The chrome has to go into the rubber first, and it is pretty difficult to fit. You can get a product from Rare Spares called 'Rubber Magic' which you spray on to soften the rubber & make things easier. Despite using it, our local windscreen guy was not able to get the chrome into the 2nd hand rubber we put in Black Betty. The rubber is in good condition, but hard from age.
When the chrome is snugly home you can put it on the glass & fit it to the car. I found it necessary to put sealant between the rubber & glass as well as rubber & body. Initially we didn't & it leaked in a big way. So Betty doesn't have the chrome & it is a lot easier to lift the rubber from the glass surface than on my other cars, so it does offer some stiffening effect.
Hope this helps, & that your new rubber is nice & pliable. Please let us know how you go.
Cheers, Matt.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:31 pm

i was a windscreen fitter for 10 years in my "past life", and Matt's correct.
you'll never get the trim into the rubber if it's already fitted in the car.
they are a real pain in the a to fit too, even with a new, pliable rubber.
and even when you get it fitted, be very carefull of it when fitted the whole assembly to the car, as they always try to remove themselves from the rubber you've just battled with to fit it! go slowly, and watch it all like a hawk.
honestly gerry....... have fun mate, coz i hate them!

also, they are just a trim piece, not a locking strip, so not using it presents no problems to the car and screen itself.

cheers.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Car(s): Bellett GT,
Hi all, what a day. Brett I can understand why you gave up fitting windscreens, but the good news is we had a win, and after many bad words were let out it all came good. So far without the chrome strip which we will attempt maybe next weekend.I know the advice was to fit it first with the rubber but it was beyond our expertice.We wouldn't have wanted to be paying sunday rates as it would have broke the budget.Thanks for the advice it was much appreciated, Gerry : :D

Sun May 16, 2010 7:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]