View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
REAR DIFF POWER. HOW MUCH CAN IT TAKE? 

Car(s): isuzu bellett pr20 rhd
ANYBODY ANY IDEA HOW MUCH POWER THE STANDARD REAR DIFF AND DRIVESHAFTS CAN TAKE? {'67 1500DE LUX PR20) PLANNING ON 115HP MX5 ENGINE WHICH I WOULD GUESS WOULD BE OK. PROBLEM IS THERE IS A LOT OF AFTERMARKET TURBO KITS AVAILABLE FOR THIS ENGINE AND ME BEING ME I WILL EVENTUALLY WANT ONE.....ANY EXPERIENCE WITH BIGGISH HP ANYBODY ?

MANY THANKS, JEFF {SCOTLAND}

PS I HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A BELLETT FORUM UNTIL RECENTLY. ITS MAGIC!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm

jeff.
my race car has about 170hp, and it lives without a worry.
and it's got a welded centre too, so that makes it work even harder.
i have broken one bellett diff in it tho... but that was my fault, not the diff's.

another race car some years ago had a 340hp rotary in it... with a standard (welded again tho) bellett diff and 10" wide racing slicks.
never broke it....
but the weak link is the 4 little bolts that hold the axles in the diff to the axles for the wheels.... put good, high tensile ones in, or it'll snap 'em like twigs!

cheers.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Car(s): isuzu bellett pr20 rhd
pr91

This is music to my ears!!! Over here in the uk the powers at be have a points system for modified cars as follows; original car body 5 points, original engine 1 point, original steering rack 2 points, both original axles 2 points,original suspention 2 points. If the car in question has less than 8 points in total it has to go for an IVA test, which is totally unpassable for any old car for about a million reasons.

Was presuming original diff would be to puny for a (turboed!?) mx5 engine, but from your info it will be fine. Planned on mx5 engine, Honda s2000 6spd box and general suspention meddling so will be ok - no sva test needed! Happy days!

Thanks, Jeff

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]