View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Replacement GT Brake Rotors 

Car(s): 1969 Isuzu Bellett GT; 1985 Nissan 300ZX; Totalled 2002 Subaru WRX
Hello All,
I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of any replacement OEM or aftermarket or another model rotors for a 1969 Bellett GT?
What does everyone do when the stock rotor has worn past its turn limit??

Thank you!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 am

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
No known replacement for GT, Here in Aus we can adapt rotors from Magna to sedan hub and use Magna calipers.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Isabell Grand Tourer wrote:
No known replacement for GT, Here in Aus we can adapt rotors from Magna to sedan hub and use Magna calipers.

You can do a Google search and find someone who made reproductions of the original brake rotors. A reluctant offer of ~$1050 USD for a pair was mentioned.

You can buy iron and have them cut on a lathe, and it might cost $900+ for the parts and machine labor, and you will have spent at least the difference in the above option in the labor of doing the mechanical drawing and supervising the machinist.

The next problem will be the calipers, because there are no OEM rebuild kits or parts.
Several from Australia have mentioned modifying the original calipers to accept Jaguar(?) or some other brand of seals, having custom pistons made, and breaking the center guide pin out of the back of the caliper bodies.
The US Datsun Roadster expert who is the only one on the continent offering rebuild service for the Datsuns, which use the next size smaller of the same type caliper, says that if you break the pin out of the back of the caliper body, you should throw it away.
The brake hoses have a unique thread pattern on the chassis end, which has not been mass produced, so swapping in a different caliper is a problem, or involves either re piping the car or finding the only guy who had the brake hose fittings custom made. (Same Google search mentioned above).

Several from Australia suggested using Mitsubishi Sigma brake rotors and calipers. That car was not sold in the US. And much of the brake swap information appears to be based on drum-to-disk conversion, and the GT spindle and hub are not the same as the drum brake spindle and hub. The Magna mentioned in the quote is was not sold in the US, and the example cites the drum brake hub.

The Japanese say they just use hakosuka brakes. Another vehicle not sold in the US.
And, further investigation of the hakosuka brakes: The Nissan MK63 calipers cost well over $500 each and the only rebuild kits for the calipers are in Japan, and cost many hundreds of dollars.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:56 pm

bhss have been rebuilding my calipers if you are stuck post them over i will get them done and send them back. You could contact them and see what parts they use?they may tell you being os. They have done 3 sets for us now no problems and a week turn around.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Car(s): 1969 Isuzu Bellett GT; 1985 Nissan 300ZX; Totalled 2002 Subaru WRX
Thanks for all the informative replies I am in the process of stripping down the car for body repairs and paint, while this is being done I will have to find a means for brakes, or to have this rebuilt.. Thank you all!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Car(s): Isuzu DMax LSU, Isuzu MUX, 1979 117 Coupe.
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/bills/
Half way down the page.

Peter

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:34 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
not for sale to public though...

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:37 am

my gut feeling is he will ;). try them ;).

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]