View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PR91 master cylinder WARNING !! 

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Here's a point of interest (and concern). As I'm having difficulties with the mystery gremmlin in the GT, i lifts the bonnett one evening to resume the testing........ and to my surprise the master brake cylinder is empty. Doesn't take long to find out the seal has gone and it's emptied into the drivers floor pan. This was a quick fix. Rip it out in 10, and got it reconned for $ 190 at PBR. Comes back looking like brand new '67 off the shelf. Another 10 mins to install. Then bleed them up. Simple !!

Here's the warning. If you've got an original master cylinder, check it for leaks, or even get it reconned anyway. DO IT !! I'm greatfull mine failed in the shed, not hurtling down the freeway at 85 mph. Also bleed out the old fluid if it's not been done before. You will be amazed how black, frothy and gooey it is. Makes you wonder how it ever stopped at all !!

Wish the other stuff was as easy to diagnose and fix !!

B.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Shouldn't that be hurtling down the hiway at 60mph? :mrgreen:

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeah Izzie,

Your right, actually 100.....(kph) ;)

B.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:46 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Good news & great advice, mate. Generally not too expensive & money well spent. Particularly important with no tandem set-up. One bit fails - no stoppy.
Aunty Mary's re-sleeve, just $77 in Canberra, and *Bonus* The fella says "This any good to ya" - N.O.S. Master cylinder in box, not Bellett, but very similar. "I think it was for a Datsun, It's been on the shelf for about 30 years".
"How much, mate?"
"Ohh, 30 bucks'll do"
"Yep, righto"
"I'll put a kit through it then, just in case the rubbers have perished."

Niiice!

(Nice fellas, mates had Belletts back in the day. Knew the difference between sedans, GTs, Florians & Wasps. Have kept old books & like tracking down hard to get stuff!)
Cheers, Matt.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 am

Sounds like the right kind a' guys to fix me' other problem, Matt. Possibly a wealth of knowledge there.

Damn cheap master cylinder rebiuld !!

B.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Car(s): GT.
Matt,
Good the spread the Company name, businesses like that are hard to find.
Companies like that are RARE!!
Dave M.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:44 am

and don't forget boys to keep an eye on the wheel cylinders in the rear brakes!!
as the are the lowest point on a bellett's braking system, any moisture in there will settle to the lowest point, and as the cylinders are cast iron.... yep, they rust out, which chops the seals up badly, and they leak like a tea bag....
this happened to my GT not long after i got it back on the road, as the prob is worse in cars that sit around when compared to those that get used, but as they are now over 40 years old, they WILL all do it some day.
so get them reco'd will stainless steel liners and the problem is gone forever!! shouldn't cost any more than $150 for the pair too.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Car(s): GT.
I have had the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder reconned with SS liners, the only way!!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:37 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
thanks for info mine shit itself too no brakes :twisted: have to reco master cylinder ,might reco brake liner while its apart :roll: arnt cars fun :lol:

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]