View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
FRONT SHOCKS 

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
HI GUYS JUST PUT A NEW SET OF SHOCKS IN THE BACK OF MY NEW MACHINE REASONABLY EASY ..LETS DO THE FRONT SOAK ALL THE BOLTS OVERNIGHT BOTTOM END AH YES 2 BOLTS IN BETWEEN SHOCKIE TOWERS THE TOP AH ... LOCKING NUT SPANNER ON BOTTOM UNDO TOP NUTBIT OF GRUNTING BUT IT COMES OFF THATS BOTH SIDES NOW THE HARD BITTHE SLOT IN THE TOP IS THAT FOR A SCREWDRIVER TO HOLD IT AS YOU UNDO THE OTHER NUT ...OH SHI.. CANT DO IT . IS THERE A TRICK TO THIS ? ANYONE KNOW THE SECRET ? THE SPANNER ON THE TOP AND ITS QUARTER A TURN .TRIED SOCKET CANT GET SCREWDRIVER ON THE TOP OF THE SHOCK ........####GT576875456`3 its getting frustrating ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS ...WHILE UNDER THERE I WILL NEED SOME NEW ENGINE MTS NEXT ....SHOCKS FIRST .......I HAVE HAD THE CAR 1 MTH STILL A WAY TO GO CHEERS DAVO

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 am

thanks to oz toffa and gt orphanage shocks are out new ones in tomorrow thanks guys .......next ..got the list out ....radiator??? yea ...then engine mts ...and then ..and then ...cheers davo

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:53 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
good work guys!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Just for anyone else wondering, my method would be to use a 12mm combinaton spanner with the ratchet ring end and a pair of vise-grips on the flat nib. A lot of short turns, but usually works.

I had a mate when I was 17 who attempted to use a 12 inch shifter & a ball-pein hammer.
This didn't work ( :o ) so then he got a chisel and a bigger hammer. :? This didn't work either, so he borrowed a mates Oxy torch & cut the shock in half. :evil:
I do not recommend this method. Brake & fuel lines not far away!

I rocked up as the first one was removed. His face was very red. Whoddya doin?? There was some swearing.
I took the other one off for him. He decided it was time to buy some spanners.

Cheers, Matt.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:38 am

im back went down to get some shocks bought some gabriels fitted in back straight in got rid of the 45 yr old shocks on front tried to stick the gabriel fe/fb fc etc model holden ones 81199 part number and they wont go in the hole not by much does this mean the muso has to angle grind some away on the tropped arm thingy so it can fit underneath ..can anyone tell me also i have a pair of armstrongs same shaft length should i use these ? all knoledge is appreciated ...muso now part time mechanic .... cheers davo

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 am

Davo I had to open the hole in the lower control arm on mine to fit them in. Koni are smaller and go in without moding but they are twice the price.Mabe there are other brands? Some cars i have put the shocks in before the springs but it's a big job if you dont need to replace the springs.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 am

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
Davo,

As per what Greg did. I knew years ago that you would not be able to buy shocks that fit and be in the price range.

I bought a Josco die grinder tips kit. With a variable speed drill or a air drill at a slow rev. you grind the webbing away
on the bottom control arm. I first made a template of the hole, measured the new shocks and found centre of template and using a compass drew a circle on it at the diameter measurement. Cut the template at scribed circle, place temp. on arm
and nikko the dia. required. Grind out with straight tip, and continually check if shock will go through.

On the subject of removal. I thought that I may have to advise you to check your ''wardrobe'' for a butchers apron.
I had a problem on my first Bellett in '69 and I couldn't get that nut to move. As the shock was passed any use, I used
a set of multigrips on it. Wedged it into the coil spring. I damaged the shaft. but I got it undone and no barked knuckles.

Dave.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
yep. my removal technique exactly. lockjaws and hold that sucker tight. helps if you have a rattle gun as well. Funny how the new ones fit so much easier apart from enlarging the hole on the front mounting frame to allow the larger new one to fit thru. My choice is Pedders Comfort Gas.

Did hear of one guy who did remove the spring to fit the new one. Glad i dont pay him by the hour!
But it makes the ride and the cornering much better :)

Have fun Bullitt

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 am

hi guys thanks so much again i will jack up car ,put on jack stands ,jack up lower control arh and get to work like chad morgans dentist like cqgt said i will get it its on the list will let you know how all goes , cheers davo

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Yep, was the same with mine BULLITT. Good to hear u r having lots of fun with it, mate :lol: :lol: The fat monroes were good in the price range, and also do the job well. However, both front and back on the GT required Chads method of dental surgery to enlarge the holes. :lol: Did it the hard way with a rats tail file. Cheaper initially but the medical bill afterwards was pricey.

One old rear shock wouldn't move at the top bolt and had every thing i could hanging off it. Finally got a milli turn of movement and stuck with it for several hours............On oxy invlved :roll:

And if ya thinks that's crazy Farmer ?? We also put in lower springs on the front with help from the local gurus !! There was one bolt in the top front suspension arm we can write a book on, as it took almost 4 hrs to undo without too much damage. 12hrs and alot of @%$^!* later and the job was done. Ross's patience will take a life time to repay.

B.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:12 am

mate i think id rather be chad morgan ..than a hooker laying on your back for 2 hrs sorry i should clarify this it took 2 hrs of shaving the sides of the lower control arm then trimming the forks a little on the shockies so theyd fit ...well they are in ..geez im learning about belletts ...thanks again for all your help ...my kneck is killing me and those bloody mechanic thingos you lay on keep getting tied up in the leads for the drill and the light . a .few words were said ..but all in all they are in .... will get back to you on my next fix it project this is better than google you talk to guys who love the cars and have been down all of these roads themslves with bark of the hands and sometimes a close whack on the nose with a slipping spanner ...this is the life ...

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 am

Car(s): isuzu wasp;
just remember to scrub those nails

dont ever remember seeing tina turner with grease under her nails

:lol: :lol: :D

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]