View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
lowering a bellett 

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
hi guys ...next if I was to lower the 90 what do you suggest I do what shocks and what way to get it down do I souce different springs ?? as well as shocks ie hq that lower the car instead of bottoming ?? all help appreciated cheers davo

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:33 am

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Hi Davo,
Put a pair of rear springs in the front, same shocks and that will bring the Front down, and I would probably leave the rear alone. this will give you nice look and also a good ride, if you lower it to far will need a kidney belt and drive like a dray.
Geoff

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
PR95 wrote:
Hi Davo,
Put a pair of rear springs in the front, same shocks and that will bring the Front down, and I would probably leave the rear alone. this will give you nice look and also a good ride, if you lower it to far will need a kidney belt and drive like a dray.
Geoff

you got a grinder .....lol take them out cut a coil out ......no problem lol ....... :lol:

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:47 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
I know, I'm the originality nut, but its a PR90. I'd leave it standard.
They handle ok, and you get a reasonable ride. I reckon don't cut any coils, makes it impossible to put back if you change your mind.

But its your car. ;)

Cheers, Matt.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Davo,
I would do what Geoff suggested (if you decide to do any lowering ) will still ride nice and look "great ". If you go lower front and rear you will hate yourself for doing it - ride quality will be destroyed. Nothing wrong with the original set up either, apart from perceived " looks " but then that is "original " . Bellett suspension lengths, angles and travel do not give you much to play around with without it impeding on ride quality.

KB

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Car(s): Hyundai Iload, Mazda 808/RX3 Coupe
KB, all wrong.

Swap the front coils with another rear set. Grab another rear transverse spring and attach it to your original one but place the second one upside down. Bend the transverse clamps to hold both springs and re- install.
Go and buy 4 standard shocks for a HK holden (I think) and fit them.
Best handling car you will ever drive.
Did this to mine. Cost me $80.

Last edited by poppy waldo on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
yes hg / hk shocks do fit ....

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:08 am

Car(s): PR91 1967 GT, PR20 1966 1/2 with GT Goodies
Hi
When you
'Grab another rear transverse spring and attach it to your original one but place the second one upside down.'
Do you mean a single leaf spring or another paired leaf spring(s) and turn them both up side down?
Cheers
James

To increase the fun, add a hair dryer

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:38 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
thanks for telling me the secrets ...ha ha ....it all sounds double dutch to me ...being a muso but with help I can work it out thanks heaps everybody ..davo

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:58 am

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Asroc66 wrote:
Hi
When you
'Grab another rear transverse spring and attach it to your original one but place the second one upside down.'
Do you mean a single leaf spring or another paired leaf spring(s) and turn them both up side down?
Cheers
James

What he means is to oppose the two springs and clamp together

Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 am

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
Does anyone have a picture of the leaf spring modification? When the GT hits the road again I think I'll lower it.

Also, I noted an old conversation involving JT some time ago, about suspension bushes...I need rear bushes especially, but where do you find/procure them? If I'm going to dump the li'l guy I may as well make sure the suspension is functioning as it should be.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Done all this before..... And found what works, what doesn't, what needs to be changed, what needs to be modified, what parts to use and what results they all give.
Some info already posted is good, but there are side effects, and some is incorrect, while some hasn't been mentioned at all...... Which is also some very important stuff.
The info in my head comes from decades of building race and road cars out of them.
Remember that the basic layout on them is pretty damn good, so alot of things are simple, and should cost very little, and 99% of people will never pick.
I've heard people comment on how low my GT is.... I'm yet to see one lower on the road, yet it drives brilliantly, and others who have driven it say the same.
My race car is modified in just about every way, so that works even better, but would be a nitemare on the road....
PM me.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
PR91 wrote:
Done all this before..... And found what works, what doesn't, what needs to be changed, what needs to be modified, what parts to use and what results they all give.
Some info already posted is good, but there are side effects, and some is incorrect, while some hasn't been mentioned at all...... Which is also some very important stuff.
The info in my head comes from decades of building race and road cars out of them.
Remember that the basic layout on them is pretty damn good, so alot of things are simple, and should cost very little, and 99% of people will never pick.
I've heard people comment on how low my GT is.... I'm yet to see one lower on the road, yet it drives brilliantly, and others who have driven it say the same.
My race car is modified in just about every way, so that works even better, but would be a nitemare on the road....
PM me.

OK< Brett, can you share some road car thoughts with us..... i have no need to do so myself but might pick up something else for the Sport. The Sport is lowered and has the stage 3 'kit' in it as you know, but not as low as yours for sure. Rides pretty firm .....
Can't be much suspension travel left in your GT? Or do you have special springs etc perhaps in it? eg variable rate. I keep meaning to take a peek under yours........

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:29 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Bella is pretty low.
Mr Fibbles assisted with springs and shockers but I had to do a few mods which make it possible.
There are a few parts that need to be fitted and adjusted to finish the handling off.
The trip to Coonabarabran showed we had a pretty good combo as Oz-Toffa will attest to.
Sadly that trip caused a few heartaches latter.

Still most people say the simplest and least painful is to use a set of rear springs in the front. Any HR-HT Holden shocks as they are all the same you just need to file the opening in the lower wishbone to get them in.
Most people won't need to add any leaves to the back end unless you are super keen to flog it. Just move the mounting point on the outboard end, to get your droop.

Expect to spend some time on doing adjustments and testing.
I the Mr Fibbles tried 12 sets of springs to get me the right ride height and spring rate.

I love the way Bella (and she will again) handled like a gokart :D

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:59 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
RobSA wrote:
Bella is pretty low.

Most people won't need to add any leaves to the back end unless you are super keen to flog it. Just move the mounting point on the outboard end, to get your droop. :D

not heard this one, any more details ?

glenn

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:42 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Not sure how to explain it Glenn. Other than when you bolt the spring up its usually in compression (i think) so it raises the rear. If you have set the height with the coils, adjust the leaf end to only raise it the amount you want. Depending on your final height you may need a longer bolt and more rubber donuts.

In saying that its better in the stock position but if you want to tinker ;)

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:06 pm

RobSA wrote:
Not sure how to explain it Glenn. Other than when you bolt the spring up its usually in compression (i think) so it raises the rear. If you have set the height with the coils, adjust the leaf end to only raise it the amount you want. Depending on your final height you may need a longer bolt and more rubber donuts.

In saying that its better in the stock position but if you want to tinker ;)

OK, i think you mean just adjust the bolt spacers at the ends up from normal position....... I am not going to play with mine though.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:19 pm
Profile WWW

Glenn wrote:
PR91 wrote:
PM me.

OK< Brett, can you share some road car thoughts with us..... i have no need to do so myself but might pick up something else for the Sport. The Sport is lowered and has the stage 3 'kit' in it as you know, but not as low as yours for sure. Rides pretty firm .....
Can't be much suspension travel left in your GT? Or do you have special springs etc perhaps in it? eg variable rate. I keep meaning to take a peek under yours........

Sorry. Not willing to make details public.
No probs privately tho.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]