View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
shock absorbers 

Car(s): 1967 Isuzu Bellett GT, 1969 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe sedan
Hi all,

Thought I might delve into the many years of experience amoungst forum members... I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on brands of shock absorbers to fit to the gt. I know it's simply early holdens all round, but I'd like to hear from your experience - particularly as I wish to emphasise performance and road holding around the twisting and turning roads of the Adelaide Hills, where I drive her the most.

Cheers, Paul.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
I tried to get some discussion on this topic started in the thread titled "WORKSHOP MANUAL FRONT AND REAR SUSPENTION SPECS (PR MODEL)". But did not get much of a response.

Researching this on the opposite side of the world, most of the shock absorbers seem to be too long for the vehicle. I think I found some references to Triumph or MG, and a very narrow range of Corvette, that were just barely short enough for the standard ride height.

The best alternative I found was SPAX. They seem to be custom made to order with the part number digits determining the length, upper and lower attachment method, etc.
The KSX would be a single adjustable replacement shock that would be a direct fit. It also looks like the CSX single adjustable, Steel TrakSPAX double adjustable, and Aluminum TrakSPAX double adjustable without a threaded spring perch.
Coilovers would require some adaptation. The best option I have come up with is to make a new lower spring perch to accept a 3.63 ID spring (Eibach), which should fit the upper spring perch on the car.
The CSX single adjustable, Steel TrakSPAX double adjustable, and Aluminum TrakSPAX double adjustable would be the options for coilovers, in ascending price.
The only worry is clearance around the lower shock attachment where the dampening adjustment knobs are. They may not clear the trailing arms at all, and the CSX or any of these without the threaded body may be a problem for adjustment because the shock rides inside the spring.
I haven't used SPAX products before. I have used some of the other brands of British shocks, and have been underwhelmed by the quality and corrosion resistance. The thumb knob on an AVO on one of my other cars is so stiff it takes pliers to adjust.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Car(s): 1964 Bellett Sedan 1980 Gemini Wagon
Bellett.Boys I don't know about brands, but my feeling is that if you use a gas shock there will be less oil cavitation in the shock allowing you to use a softer shock as the non gas filled shocks are made harder so that when the hydraulic fluid gets aerated through use they soften up.
Gas filled shocks don't aerate the fluid so stay at a constant rate
please anybody out there let me know if I have got this wrong!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:30 am

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Hi Paul
I use munroe GT gas to suit hk holden front but had to grind approx 1mm from shocky hole in front xmember to get clearence . these shocks work xtra well on our pr90 gt , hope this is of some help
cheers ken

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:40 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hello Paul. Back in the day I remember competative Sydney racers using Koni s and them giving a pretty hard ride. For road cars, I just bought oil (monroe) for '69 Holden, but specify V8 as these were firmer. Bottom mount tang is narrower, though so press out & replace with original ones, if you're fussy. Otherwise, use big washer!
Sorry J T, I must have missed that thread. If you want some sent over, I could do that- they are cheap & common here.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 am

Tell me more about the Holden shocks. Which specific model are these coming from? Do you use the same shock for the front as the back? Or Holden fronts on Bellett front, etc.? Free and fully compressed lengths?

And more about the Konis. I talked to the Koni rep, and they said they could modify their existing, longer shock, down to a shorter length, for the purchase price of the long strut, plus $400 each. I think it was somewhere between $3,000 and $4,000 USD. But that might have been for double adjustables, but not coilovers.
Eagle Sayama auctioned some Konis a while back for a couple hundred dollars, they didn't appear to be adjustable. And no part number or way to see if they could be ordered through Koni on this side of the world.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett 1600 Sport SOHC, Honda City 2006, Honda CRV 2010, Vespa P150
The importer of Isuzu changed all shocks for Koni shocks as standard. This was done after testing made clear that standard Isuzu shocks were very bad.
The Koni's are adjustable as you like; you push the shock in totally and than turn the rod for hard or smooth ride. The koni's had a lifetime garantee and belive it or not; Koni still makes a batch of them now and then and ships them to Japan ......

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:10 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
Farmer most of the front shocks sold for the old holdens (early holden fb - hg) are the same part number for v8 and six now, i know the place i work at lists the same shocks for the six and eights, and if you can get a part number for the konis i may be able to track a set down through work
JT191 i believe the holden shocks can fit front and rear, guys feel free to correct me if im wrong!

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Car(s): Isuzu DMax LSU, Isuzu MUX, 1979 117 Coupe.
I have just looked in my parts shelf and lo and behold ther were my old KOni adjustables.

Front : 80C-2131
Rear : 80C-2133

Old style key on top adjustment. Unfortunately one front has a bent rod from a rollover at Phillip Island .

Peter

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 am

bellett65 wrote:

I got farther this time before hitting the brick wall.

Koni said the rears are still available, special order on this continent. And that they are listed as being for Holden.

This implies that the fronts are not available, but this was not stated directly.

The rears are slightly shorter than the fronts. To lower the nose some, it might be better to have the shorter shock on both the front and the back. And if they are adjustable, fine tuning to match the front would be easy.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
I would suggest a little short wouldn't be a problem - maybe just topping out in jumps! Too long would be worse - bottoming out could be destructive. I've used the same '68 - '70
Holden front shock all 'round.on standard height cars.
To the Koni rep who was talking $3-4,000 - Tell 'im he's dreamin'!
Matt.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 pm

bellett65 wrote:

Are the fronts for the Bellett also the fronts for the Holden, and the same for the rears? Or are they mixed from more than one Holden vehicle?

There might be a typo. The US rep seemed to have indicated the 80C-2131 was not available, but it might be that the number is not quite right, so not in the system.

I went on Koni's international website and found this:
Quote:
GM Australia (Holden)
Series FJ - FB, EK - EH, HD - HG
Standard, Special, Business, Premier, Belmont, Brougham, Kingswood, Monaro, Panel Van and Ute
53-71
Special
Front 80-2133
Rear 80-2134

I couldn't find anything for a 80-2131, and the C seems to have been dropped from the number.

The last resort North American retailer who deals with odd and old cars responded, and did not have either shock available. So still no idea of the price even to special order the rears.

The $3,000-4,000 would have been to pay retail for longer Koni shocks to be cut down to a shorter size. I agree that is a lot for shocks, even if they are adjustable. I like Koni, but the SPAX coilovers would be worth the gamble up in that price range.

It's a shame they didn't use struts and a longer damper, we build longer double adjustable coilovers for around $2,000 per set. But the dampers are too long for the Bellett.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]