View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Engine swap 

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Hee hee for what I'm thinking turning wasn't going to be an issue.
I'm just not up for plumbing intercoolers, oil lines and EFI to make a four go well.

Not that I haven't looked at it ... set 1600 engine back 2 inches, gives plenty of room for big arse intercoler, trans and engine oil coolers, radiator and the take off for the dry sump drive.
Oh and removing the std brace across the radiator panel fabricating a new one out of 2 inch round tube bent so it still ties the front frame rails together but loops down to give more clearance for intercoolers and radiators.

Also where I was going to sit , pedal box is easy ;)

Oh, the car is a rusty dented piece of S**** that is only restorable by the hardy or foolish.

Cheers
Rob

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 am

hey rob is this plans for a race car to use for just something for a laugh (like my old skool 308 Wasp gasser drag car. damn... cat's outta the bag now!)? if it's a serious thing, just remember there's rules and regs over most stuff, like seating positions... i'd hate to see all ur work be in vein if it wasn't done to the regs like i've seen happen elsewhere!

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:12 am

No worries mate.
Seating will look stock though in the wrong place.

I think we figured out what you might be up to awhile ago ... :lol: :lol:

I used to race in Super Sedan (Mazda RX2 - 360V8; now in Sydney) and Super Street (VE Valiants) for a LOT of years.

Cheers
Rob

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:44 am

360'd RX2... pics please!

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:06 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
RobSA wrote:
Hee hee for what I'm thinking turning wasn't going to be an issue.
I'm just not up for plumbing intercoolers, oil lines and EFI to make a four go well.

Oh, you miss the fun of working on cutting, welding, grinding, and sanding a exhaust piece for over a week, then painting, firing paint, and polishing for a week, ordering in a sensor cable, having it arrive at the last minute only to find it has the wrong plug on the end of it, driving around in circles for six hours trying to find some plugs in order to make the cable, finding out that the plugs are apparently endangered and very valuable and therefore all kept in some central location whose distance from where you are standing is only defined only as 2-4 weeks away. And tomorrow is race day!

Then again, I have to mail order metric nuts and bolts into this place, and it used to be the fourth largest city in the country, the largest military aircraft producing city on the continent, and the second largest auto producing city on the continent.

Today's frustration meter reading has the needle pegged at 12 on a scale of one to ten.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
This sounds like the parts you need must be in "THE BIG WAREHOUSE" in Melbourne. like every other bloody thing you need. :shock:

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:22 pm

ahhh yes....
the warehouse................... :lol:
great to be a melburnian....

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:22 am

Will find some pics of the RX2 ... they were before i entered the digital age, I have to find the album and then scan the photos.
Will post them in the Other Cars Section.

Cheers
Rob

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:29 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Isabell Grand Tourer wrote:
This sounds like the parts you need must be in "THE BIG WAREHOUSE" in Melbourne. like every other bloody thing you need. :shock:

As best as I can tell, THE BIG WAREHOUSE IN MELBOURNE (in this case), is just south of Fort Worth, Texas. I don't know why they keep all the GM Delphi wiring harness connectors there. I've never heard of a car manufacturing plant in Texas. Maybe it is as close as they can get to the Mexican assembly plants just across the river.

I am now well stocked in sensor plugs, and need some pink color wire to start on the capacitive discharge ignition system wiring harness.
And I have to rethink the EFI Bellett idea. It might run like a clock, but it will take several really pleasant adventures like this one to do it.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm

The fustrating thing is we can get parts out of japan in 4 days and it take more than a week out of Melbourne :roll:.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
I've been looking into using a Volvo 2.7 V6 and 5speed. :shock: :o :?

We have used them in 2X Austin A40 sedans, a 74 Kombi and an 86 Suzuki Sierra swb

Locating a good motor and manual box isn't that easy but it is actually cheaper to buy a complete 262/264 sedan, can find for under a grand in good nic. Most are usually autos but there are the odd 5speeds available. Gives you all the extra bibs and bobs then for the conversion.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2