View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Valve clearances 

Car(s): 1967 Isuzu Bellett GT, 1969 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe sedan
Hi all, hope everyone's well in Bellett World...

My '67 GT has always been on the noisy side regarding tappets; I hadn't done anything about it as a mate from way back who knew more about the car's history had mentioned he was pretty sure the motor had a mild cam put in somewhere along the line, well before I bought the car. His opinion was to leave things alone, for fear of burning out some valves....

But I'm now well past being sick of the 'rat a tat tat' of noisy tappets, and want to at least check the valve clearances. I've got an old document sourced through the Vic club 20 years ago that says 0.012" for inlet and 0.014" for exhaust (when hot). Do these sound right, or should consideration for the mild cam be made?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:53 am

Car(s): 1967 GT Bellett
Some info from Manual

Attachments:
img064.jpg
img064.jpg [ 85.57 KiB | Viewed 9709 times ]
img063.jpg
img063.jpg [ 68.29 KiB | Viewed 9709 times ]
Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:30 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hmmm, interesting - I've always set my G150 sedan gaps at intake=10 thou & exhaust=12 thou - it's just whats stuck in my head. I didn't know whether GT's or Florians were any different.
So I've had a look.
I think somethings been lost in the translation (metric to imperial).
Looking above it states 10 & 14 thou for G150 and 14 & ? thou for G161.
BUT the metric is 0.25mm & 0.30mm for G150 and 0.30 & 0.35 for G161.
NOW, looking at my twin-marked feeler gauge,
0.25mm = 10 thou
0.30mm = 12 thou
0.35mm = 14 thou
SO, use the metric markings, that's what would have been intended.
Interestingly, Florian's are (workshop manual) 0.20mm & 0.30mm. (8 & 12 thou). Difference possibly due to alloy head?
Begs the question, what are alloy Bellett head values? (I suggest the values shown above are for Iron heads.)

Sorry, - clear as mud??

Cheers, Matt.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Car(s): 1967 Isuzu Bellett GT, 1969 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe sedan
Thanks Matt and Flying for the info - Flying: sorry I wasn't around at the Bay to Birdwood when you came by; could have said thanks in person.

As it turned out, when I checked the the existing clearances on the GT they were all over the shop, ranging from a tight 5 thou to 17 thou, and anything in between. After a few goes, including what the manual says above (which was still very noisy), settled on 8 and 10 as it would appear that the cam has been ground somewhat...

Seemed to go well enough for the B2B on the weekend!

Cheers.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:07 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Howdy Guys,

Yes, I'm revisiting an old thread, but making more sense now. And might explain what Ross and I were grappling with yesterday.

The valves on no. 4 were ticking badly, so it was time to do something with the clearances, seeing it hadn't been done since the rebuild in 1990. So it was around to Ross's to spend a day doing lots of car stuff and having the pleasure of his expertise and knowledge to make the valve gear smoother and quieter.

Long story short, put the tappett cover on again only to start the engine and the valve tick was louder than ever but shifted to another cylinder :evil: Damn.

Now, reading this thread I've gathered a few things:
(1) Likewise Paul, my cam did recieve some grinding which may explain a slightly different setting required.

(2) Can someone explain if the adjustment needs to be done cold or hot ? Which may also influence the settings.

Farmer, Greg, Gurus, please help !! It's been doing our heads in (not literally I hope :oops: )

B.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
:oops: :oops: PAUL... if your out there. You have answered my question without replying. How good is this Bellett.thingy :lol: :P

In your first post you mention the clearances, then right at the end....in the fine print "(when hot)". :oops: should have paid more attention.

btw, is the G161 any closer ?? I hope so, cause I know how much fun they are :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers, B.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]