View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
G200w thermostat 

Car(s): 65 and 66 sedan
Hi guys I changed the thermostat in my 2lt twin cam the other day and thought I would share the part number. I used a Tridon TT1-190, but there is a bit of a trick to using it

Now this may be common knowledge and I have a vague memory of discussing this with some one at some stage. When I got the thermostat out of the packet I gave it a good inspection to make sure it was the same diameter and height as the old one and all this checked out. The only difference I could see between the unit I pulled out of the car and the new one was that the one in the car had a tiny little cut out in the seat of the thermostat and the replacement model had a hole in the flat disc section with a little loosely fitted brass pin in it.

Now I assumed that the little indent and the hole with the brass pin in it would serve the same purpose of allowing water through before the thermostat before it opened but I was wrong. After installing the new thermostat I took the car for a quick blast to the end of the street and back and then popped the bonnet. As I lifted the bonnet I saw that water was coming out of the rad over flow which I thought may have just been a knackered cap, but after feeling the hoses and having a closer look I was not getting any flow past the thermostat. After thinking about it for a little while I whipped the thermostat out and cut the little pin out reassembled and refilled with water and bobs your Uncle she was a goer.

Has any body else ever come across this or know any thing about it???

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Yeah, thats a strange result mate. I wouldn't have thought the little pin would make much difference. My initial thought was that the overflow was just from thermal expansion.
I will say that 190F is pretty warm, I run TT1-160 (160F) in my Belletts & Florian. Temp needle sits in lower half of white zone. (There is also TT1-180 avail.)
I have fitted a recovery bottle & radiator cap to the Florian to prevent the green wee when I stop. Hasn't needed a top up in 500 mile.

Cheers, Matt.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]