View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
vacuum advance unit 

Car(s): isuzu bellett pr20 rhd
Hey all,

Just got my bellett through its mot test and registered here in the uk and its great, but was very sluggish and have found a leaking diaphram on the vacuum advance. Anybody any ideas of another unit that would fit a pr20 ? Or anybody got a second hand one lying about? ( I know you are probably laughing at this request as much as if I'd asked for a disk brake front end, but hey gotta try eh? ).

Thanks, Jeff scotland.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Hi Jeff,
I bought a new old stock one from Dick Klinghamer in Holland about a year ago.
He may have more. Some of your old school mechanics in your area may know of a
Lucas equivalent which would fit as well. I might have an old one which still works too.
Cheers, Lewis

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
I think there is a thread about this somewhere on here but can't find it now. But the essence was that the Dizzy is a common type made by Hitachi. A number of cars of the period used similar ones. It might be that you could find an early Toyota Corolla or such like and pull the parts you need from it ?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:22 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
I bought a newie off Dick in Holland also, he may have more???

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
hey glenn i think the dizzy is out of a pulsar early model and also you can get an update kit from the states ..nq dave and i were only talking about this yesterday he will be up to date on this but id say he will be on the road soon hes driving back to gladstone today ....no doubt he will let you know all he has found about it .... cheers davo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:03 am

Car(s): isuzu bellett pr20 rhd
Thanks all, thats encouraging. Will try dick in holland, or look at old hitachi parts on e bay.

Thanks, jeff

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
BULLITT wrote:
hey glenn i think the dizzy is out of a pulsar early model and also you can get an update kit from the states ..nq dave and i were only talking about this yesterday he will be up to date on this but id say he will be on the road soon hes driving back to gladstone today ....no doubt he will let you know all he has found about it .... cheers davo

I was looking more at fixing the vacuum section by ratting parts from another Hitachi Dizzy. But i beleive from info here that the Pulsar N12 will fit with some mods but finding one has proved elusive at my local wreckers though.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
Jeff,

Glenn is correct to the Manufacturer and to having to make mods to a unit whatever you can get.
The majority of Datsun/Nisssan vac units have a hose. Not a copper or steel line [about 1/8th inch] for
the vacuum. The 2 mounting plates on the back of the diaphragm are also different. The Isuzu unit has
a telltale mark for the advance/retard calibration markings on the side. Datsun hasn't. The top plate is also
shorter on the Datsun and you may have to redrill it so as you can utilize the top screw. Some of the lever
arms are shorter on the Datsuns. Simply depress the compression spring and it slides off like a "c" clip.
Datsun had 2 suppliers for their distributors. Mitsubishi and Hitachi. The contact points were the same, and
as far as I'm aware, that's where it ends. If you get hold of another brand dissy. Try to get the
model/brand of donor vehicle It may help to procure any parts for it eg. cap, rotor etc. Look at N10/12/13 Pulsar
or I think you have them as the March. E12/E15 engines. Not sure on the A14/A15 engines.
Let us know how your getting on.

Dave.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]