View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
98 octane fuel 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
I was just talking to a guy (mechanic) about what fuel to run in older cars. Most of us run 98 octane I would imagine. I do.

He told me that was fine, but do not use Shell 98 octane as it's got Ethanol in it. I recently had problems with a blockage in my Sport carbs and he said it was likely to be the ethanol loosening up some rubber and it passing through the system. I was using Shell as the station is handy to me.

Best to use BP or Caltex. Maybe common knowledge, but not to me :(

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1967 bellett gt, wasp trayback , 2018 d-max 4x4 dual cab LSU, 2016 Focus, 1996 GQ Patrol
I didn't know that. I too use 98 in my Wasp, but luckily the nearest servo to my work is a Caltex. I had better re-think where I fuel up the Falcon though.
Thanks for that.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 am

I don't use ethanol if it gets old it goes jelly.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
I don't use ethanol if it gets old it goes jelly.

how old is that ? Sport gets some use. I had it on road 7-8 times in the 12 mths. log book. Shortish trips mostly though apart from one about 150km

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
That is news to me Glenn, I know the standard Shell unleaded has ethanol in it, to my knowledge all brands standard have enthanol in them, however not the higher grade.
I would like to check that out a bit further, maybe that is wrong???? ;) ;) ;)
I use Shell in the GT and have not had nay issue to date :roll:

It has been stated before by various Motoring writers that the higher grades do not have ethanol in them :roll:

Does anyone know definitely if this is the situation, if so, why do the other brands NOT do the same??
I know Caltex put up to 5% Bio Diesel in their diesel, so I do not use Caltex diesel in the D Max.

WHO KNOWS THE CORRECT STORY :?: :?: :?:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:28 am

I don't know for sure, Dave

But the 1st Qn the guy asked me when i asked about getting the Sport tuned was what petrol brand do i use.... he was adamant not to use Shell.

The local servo i use for my main car has 98 octane but it has ethanol. Same with the 95 octane.

this from web suggests they had 100 with ethanol, but not clear if the 95 has it although it apprently V-Power also contains higher concentrations of detergents and other additives to help clean the engine and smooth its operation.

In Australia, from October 2006, Shell and Coles Express re-branded Optimax to V-Power (98 RON). V-Power Racing, the ultra-high performance variant has a rating of 100 RON although Shell have decided to phase out V-Power Racing from 21 July to mid August 2008, instead recommending V-Power.[2] The previously obtainable higher grade V-Power Racing which contained 5% ethanol to boost V-Power's octane rating to 100 RON has now been phased out by Shell due to a "changing market".

trolling around the web sees lots of comments: eg
Same, i heard that shell has cleaning additives in it's 98 fuel, not sure if it's true or not, but my cars run better on bp 98 than shell 98 or caltex 98

As someone who loads and delivers fuel to the big retailers I can provide the following useful info:-

7-Eleven 98RON Premium Unleaded fuel is just straight 98RON ULP with no additives.

Shell V-Power, Caltex Vortex 98 and BP Ultimate are all different products because they use different additives, V-Power contains an additive called NEMO 6101, BP Ultimate contains Keropur and the Vortex 98 is a secret !

Before Mobil was taken over by 7-Eleven the Mobil 98 RON product (Synergy 8000) also contained Keropur, not sure if it was exactly the same as the BP Ultimate but it was loaded via the same loading arm at the terminal, now 7-Eleven only sell the straight 98 product without the additives.

As to which of the 98RON fuel is the best I would say this, each vehicle is different and as such I would try each one out and see what sort of fuel economy your vehicle can acheive and draw your own conclusion.

****e fuel, my mate has a HR and reckons that VPower ran the worst out of the premiums he has used

Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more Aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels.

o and that's why when i used shell , it smelt like paint thinners :thumbright:

So, hard to say what is the truth here re Ethanol. Seems Shell does not have it but has other additives that might not be so good for older engines?

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:02 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
I think I am convinced, BP or Caltex for my GT in future, last fill was Caltex!
The only issue I have is the slow idle, I will either check that out or have it checked out???

BP or Caltex here comes this little rubber duckie!!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:35 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
fuel I mostly use bp nothing else ...sometimes Caltex if desperet :D

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:26 am

rod wrote:
fuel I mostly use bp nothing else ...sometimes Caltex if desperet :D

did you try Shell? Be interesting to get opinions on Shell apart from the info i have.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1967 GT Bellett
Had mine getting the carbies adjusted and Shell VPower was recommended by this guy --

Have not tried it maybe the next tank

I was told by a friend that the old leaded fuel was 95 octane so that would be the minimum grade to use

Flying

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 am

flying wrote:
Had mine getting the carbies adjusted and Shell VPower was recommended by this guy --

Have not tried it maybe the next tank

I was told by a friend that the old leaded fuel was 95 octane so that would be the minimum grade to use

Flying

As far as I know, all 95 is ethanol laced.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Interesting read about Shell fuel. I put 1 tank of 95 grade in my white GT at North Haven( no better grade available there) on the way back from Sydney. Next morning on the way into Port Macquarie my rear carbie float sank and flooded. The float may have been slowly been developing a leak but the ethanol could have made it worse....anyway I pull into the front of a servo mechanics and proceeded to dismantle it to confirm the problem. Float half full of fuel... The mechanic gets up me for working on my the car in front of his workshop. Luckily I did carry a spare float I repaired last year. I said to the mechanic..."don't stress I won't need your soldering iron now I found my spare one. It's so easy to work on these old cars eh!"

We both laugh as I drive off in under 20 minutes after stopping.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 pm
Profile WWW

Early GT wrote:
Interesting read about Shell fuel. I put 1 tank of 95 grade in my white GT at North Haven( no better grade available there) on the way back from Sydney. Next morning on the way into Port Macquarie my rear carbie float sank and flooded. The float may have been slowly been developing a leak but the ethanol could have made it worse....anyway I pull into the front of a servo mechanics and proceeded to dismantle it to confirm the problem. Float half full of fuel... The mechanic gets up me for working on my the car in front of his workshop. Luckily I did carry a spare float I repaired last year. I said to the mechanic..."don't stress I won't need your soldering iron now I found my spare one. It's so easy to work on these old cars eh!"

We both laugh as I drive off in under 20 minutes after stopping.

Possibly co-incidence i guess, but maybe not. My flooding cleared after fiddling with the needle in the carbie.
Lucky you had the spare float !!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 pm
Profile WWW

I wont touch Shell or Mobil (now 7eleven stores) with a barge pole.
The Pirtek hose guys I know have shown me the damage 98 Shell and Mobil does to anything with rubber on it... read fuel hoses.
If its flowing thru it, its fine.
Leave it sit, and it chews it up.... literally. I've seen the evidence first hand.
Then u start the thing, and best case is blocked filters, jets, whatever.
Worst case is a split hose, raw fuel sprays onto a hot engine.... bye bye Bellett.

I only use BP or Caltex 98 in my cars, including the race car (but that becomes a jungle juice cocktail....).
Usually Caltex, and never had any probs.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:32 am

or run it on race fuel. buy it by the drum.
JFP stuff is awesome and easy to get.

saw a pic last week of 98 BP in Darwin for 202.9 per litre, so at that price, race fuel is a better alterative.
seriously.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:36 am

I will give BP a go, might solve my idling issue, MAYBE!! :roll:
Hopefully no damage has been done to now!!! :(

Does anyone know the part number for new floats if required?? I think the Kahler's have part numbers?? ;)
I gather the floats are plastic not brass as some are :roll:

Stay tuned!!

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:47 am

PR91 wrote:
or run it on race fuel. buy it by the drum.
JFP stuff is awesome and easy to get.

saw a pic last week of 98 BP in Darwin for 202.9 per litre, so at that price, race fuel is a better alterative.
seriously.

I think sticking with 98 is a better bet.

Maybe it's 'easy' to get around Melbourne but a bit of a trip (Tassie) might be a different proposition. What octane is it ?

I took the Sport out today for a run. OK one way, flooding on way home again..... I am going to get it "Pro" tuned and checked over by somebody who knows more than me! Tonight the Shell is coming out (tank drain) and BP will go in.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:37 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1978 TD Gemini
As far as I am aware, the only fuel that is legally allowed to have ethanol, are those that are marked as containing ethanol. Which in Australia is only e10 and e85.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:18 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
theres plenty of BP stations in tasssie 72 in all lol plenty up the coast here so no prob on fuel 98 is about $ 1.70 at moment :D

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:55 am

Simmo wrote:
As far as I am aware, the only fuel that is legally allowed to have ethanol, are those that are marked as containing ethanol. Which in Australia is only e10 and e85.

United stations have 100 octane with ethanol. I don't think it has to be marked anymore. Just that 10% is the limit. When ethanol 1st came in there were all sorts of blends.

(apart from 85% which will be marked. But they are rare)

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next