View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Removing engine and trans 

Car(s): 67 bellett
Getting geared up to remove engine and auto box question is will engine and trans come out together or do the need to be separated??? Looks to be plenty of room and I'm lazy.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:05 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
sdoubleb wrote:
Getting geared up to remove engine and auto box question is will engine and trans come out together or do the need to be separated??? Looks to be plenty of room and I'm lazy.

engine and manual comes out in one go although not easy. Not sure about auto

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:47 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
never pulled an auto out of a bellett, but always pulled motor and box out together.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am

Car(s): PR91 1967 GT, PR20 1966 1/2 with GT Goodies
I have removed engine and auto as a unit
Drain the auto of fluid first
Jack up front and place bricks under front wheels to allow engine hoist to clear or support on stands
Raise rear on stands
The auto floor pan has a larger tunnel so all good for clearance (more than Manual tunnel)
J

To increase the fun, add a hair dryer

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 am

Ah crap tunnel is diff from auto to manual? please tell me manual conversion is easy?

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Car(s): PR91 1967 GT, PR20 1966 1/2 with GT Goodies
Tunnel is indeed larger in auto compared to manual
If you pull up the rear carpet you may see the seem that shows how was retrofitted on by a man with an arc welder back on the assembly line
Regardless the conversion to manual is relatively straight forward
All pedal points are there as well as for clutch linkages
You will need to make a hole for the gear stick in the top of tunnel
Only bummer is the high beam switch
No room under clutch pedal (or very little) so every time you change gear you click the switch
Cheers
J

Ps. I also have an auto box and all attachments
Can't give it away..... No one wants it
Weighs a ton also

J

To increase the fun, add a hair dryer

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
I changed my car from auto to manual about 13-14 years ago and I used the original tailshaft. That's one thing you don't have to worry about. Remember to put in a "loop" harness for your shift harness to the inhibitor switch that was on the auto. If you dont. She won't crank and you may get cranky. :evil: This harness comes from your auto to a connector just under the centre of your tranny tunnell just behind the cylinder head. 2 bullett terminals and a short length of 5mm wire is enough to make the "loop". :)
When you want to cut a hole inthe floor, and the engine and gearbox are still out, measure the distance from where the box joins the engine to the centre of the quadrant box,(that's the 4 bolt housing for your gearstick), and take this measurement from where the tunnel starts on the firewall back towards your handbrake. This should give you an approximate position to cut your hole. Bearing in mind that the tunnell on a auto has mount points for your auto shifter and is lower. The tunnel from the heater blower mounts forward are all the same. You may have to nibble a hole a bit at the time for the manual quadrant. Also allow for the "throw" of the engine and gearbox and does not foul the floor.
If you were lucky enough to get the rubber boot with stick, your next part of the project is to make a hat to go over the tunnell to retain the boot and keep the fumes out and and any carpet etc. from fouling. If you haven't cut out the old auto mount points, use them to mount the hat. I converted my sedan to a GT style tunnell and I may still have the hat I made. Will endeavour to find it and post a picture up so as you will know what I'm on about.

Dave.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Good info thanks :D

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]