View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Dash pads 

There is a early dash cut out available if anybody wants to get one done its at dashboard restorations now.
2 minutes silence for the pr90/pr75 now :(

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 pm

With ol yella making progress in the panel shop,i decided it was time to send the crash pad away to dashboard restorations and their phones are disconnected :shock: has anyone used anyone else that they can recomend. Two other company's i can see one in vic and 1 in sa :?: .

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Ok, GT Orph. These guys are just down the road from me. Their work is impeccable. I picked their brains when I got a dash cover (mat) made for my GT. They do full interiors, doors, dashes, etc..

"Dash Original"
8 Armiger Crescent,
HOLDEN HILL, SA 5088

Ph ;(08)83963000

Cheers, B.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Here in Vic I cut a dash from a wreck to make dash panels also when i did my GT. That dash was used for other member s and then was passed on to somebody in the Club but no idea who has it now. That would have been back in about 1992.

There is still a place here that does it. At the time, they had a branch in Dandenong but thats long gone. I think head office is in Coburg or out that way.

glenn

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:01 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
OK, this is the company:

In Coburg:

http://dashboarddoctor.com.au/

Glenn

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:03 am
Profile WWW

craig has it glenn.
i used it when i did my GT a few years ago and gave it back to him.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks Brett !

glenn

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 am
Profile WWW

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
JT191 wrote:
dave wrote:
(07) 3273 5019

Dashboard Restorations
U6/ 4 Lancashire St
Acacia Ridge QLD 4110

The website is:
http://www.dashboardrestorations.com.au/
sales@dashboardrestorations.com.au

However, I seem to have received the polite brush off with a response that went like:
We are not accepting international order, please contact this other company in your country.

I replied and explained that the sample frame was in Australia, no sample frame existed elsewhere, and while it is worth the cost to me to ship a dash pad back and forth, it would be cost prohibitive for them to ship the frame between their offices in different countries, and probably not permitted by the person who owns the frame.
No answer yet, it was 9PM on an Australian Friday night when the brush off was emailed out.

I contacted the other company in my country, and the explanation was that the company more local to me had purchased the rights to use the restoration technique in this market. The original company that they purchased that technology from was cut up and sold off several years ago, and now everyone has sales areas. He said that he doesn't have a Bellett dash frame (not a surprise) but was less grim on the prospect of his ability to do the same job. But he pointed out that the exchange rate made the Australian price a real bargain even with the shipping costs.

I will wait for another polite brush off from the Australian company and see what happens. My motivation was the get the pad done while the frame was available.

The status of some of the players above seems to have changed.

www.dashboardrestorations.com.au is no longer a valid domain name. Probably a falling out between the two, and the Australian company is now independent of the US company.

www.dashboardrestorations.com is now telling me that they "don't do dash pads for those cars". I'm guessing that the economy is so good, and business is so high, that they can now limit their "custom restoration of dash boards for any import car" to 1957 Chevys and 60's Mustangs.

It was cheaper to ship the dashboard halfway around the world and back than to deal with the local moron anyway.

Does anyone have the new contact information for the Australian company?

Tue May 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Dashboard restorations at Acacia Ridge has folded, no longer exist, they have in the past done a few for us, and their work was excellent, pretty slow turn around, which seem to indicate that they were always busy, We needed another couple done but they are gone and now looking at alternatives. :(

Geoff

Tue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm

maybe you could try the place mentioned above

with luck, maybe a few guys here want oine done also.

glenn

Tue May 29, 2012 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

Glenn wrote:
maybe you could try the place mentioned above

with luck, maybe a few guys here want one done also.

glenn

They bought the domain:
http://dashboardrestorations.com.au/
No WWW at the beginning.

I emailed them. Asked if they took over the company or just bought the competition's expired domain.

Four weeks ago, I decided to do the LHD RB Gemini dash pad, which is a 32 inch by 4 1/2 inch stripe of a pad, across the center of an ABS dash panel. One company (with no email) didn't answer their telephone, the other did not respond to email. I put the car back together. Four weeks later, the second place responds, with the "We don't do dashes for those cars."

I'll weld up a frame to hold the Bellett dash, when it's time to do it, but I want it off jack stands before I start crawling around inside with the wire feed fire maker.

Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 pm

I got side tracked with other stuff, mostly chasing that dang Daytona Coupe...

The guy at Dashboard Doctor replied to my first inquiry immediately. Asked for a couple photos of the RB dash pad to do a quote from, and pointed out that I should be aware of the postage cost to send a dash pad halfway around the world to be repaired.

Several months later, I finally sent him the picture files, and he said the repair and restoration would be $200 AUD (which is probably a half million USD by now). since it's such a small piece, I was hoping for a little less than half that cost, which probably isn't even enough to cover the materials cost...

Anyway, since the Dashboard Restorations place closed up, I'll be interested in hearing if someone gets a Bellett quote from Dashboard Doctor and if they become the new choice for Bellett dash repair, and the new home of the metal frame.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 am

from distant memory, it was back in the 90's now, a Bellett dash was about $100 i think.

I have heard that some people have done their own dash, using suitable vynal material and a heat gun to form the shape into it. Might pay to practice though first! Not sure what glue to use in that process.

glenn

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Hmmm, interesting, very interesting!!!!
If only a manufacturer can be found????

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2