View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
paint questions body & engine? 

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
might sound daft but i am currently rebuilding my luvs engine and want it to look nice so ill paint the block and bits, now the question is do you need to use a primer on engine enamel on the block?

also i think that the original paint on the body work is enamel im not going to take it all the way back to bare metal just repair whats needed do i have to use enamal paint over it or can i use some other paint?

sorry for the basic questions but im attempting to get out of my rattle can flat black comfort zone!

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:09 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
mrflibbles wrote:
might sound daft but i am currently rebuilding my luvs engine and want it to look nice so ill paint the block and bits, now the question is do you need to use a primer on engine enamel on the block?

also i think that the original paint on the body work is enamel im not going to take it all the way back to bare metal just repair whats needed do i have to use enamal paint over it or can i use some other paint?

sorry for the basic questions but im attempting to get out of my rattle can flat black comfort zone!

Engine paint: You can buy engine paint in spray cans but not ideal if engine is in the car. There used to be a few makes of paint in a can but its hard to find now.
Last week I came across paint made for engines by "KBS". Its not cheap though, $52 for 1/2 litre. I painted the block in my Sport which apparently was originally black. The can says no primer is needed although its should be oil free of course. I used degreaser then pressure washed and then dried my engine. http://www.KBS-coatings.com.au to find your nearest dealer and find colours available.

for the body, find a local place that deals in Auto paint for pro advice on what you can use etc.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:38 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1970 Bellett, 1968 Bellett, Triumph Stag, 1940 Traction Avant, T Ford 1938 Pontiac plus the usual modern stuff
Attachment:
VHT Engine enamel.jpg
VHT Engine enamel.jpg [ 160.91 KiB | Viewed 8585 times ]
Hi Mr flibbles

Go to a Bursons or Repco centre and get a can of VHT Engine enamel, they come in various colours and go on without a primer. Give it at least two coats. unlike a lot of spray cans, it goes on well but as Glenn says, best used if you have the engine out. It's also been proven that a red engine will improve your car's performance.

I used it to do the block in the yellow peril when I rebuilt the engine about 10 years ago and it's still all there.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]