View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
windscreen seals 

Car(s): 1967 Bellett
Don't want to sound like a newbie, have a few questions

1) whats the best way to remove the front and rear windscreen/seals, do they come out in one piece? not sure if removing them that they will stay in one piece but want to get them off to do paint body work
2) chrome trim on the roof gutter has had some kind of sealant gooped to keep it in place, guessing this isn't normal?
3) any tips for removing back screen chrome trim pieces can't see any clips to push to get it off and feel like I'm close to bending it

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:06 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Krupkee wrote:
Don't want to sound like a newbie, have a few questions

1) whats the best way to remove the front and rear windscreen/seals, do they come out in one piece? not sure if removing them that they will stay in one piece but want to get them off to do paint body work
2) chrome trim on the roof gutter has had some kind of sealant gooped to keep it in place, guessing this isn't normal?
3) any tips for removing back screen chrome trim pieces can't see any clips to push to get it off and feel like I'm close to bending it

1. depends on the rubber, how old it is. Assuming its old as is most likely, it will be stiff etc from age. And stuck with sealant. Probably hardened. [You will probably need a new one for replacing the screen.] Get inside the car and with a screwdriver and your fingers, try to free the inner side of the rubber away from the body of the car (the hood lining will be trapped inside the rubber at the top) all the way round by levering it away from the car body. Once all seems reasonably free, still inside the car, sit in the middle and put your feet (in soft walking shoes) up on the screen, push and try to get a corner to start to move out of the opening. Then work your way along. As it starts to free up, push harder and eventually the whole screen with rubber will come out. Have a helper outside to ensure the screen doesn't shoot across the bonnet! And to assist as needed.
This won't always work with very old and hard rubber. As a last resort, you may need to go around with a box cutter on the inside and cut the inner flap of the rubber away. BOTH of you should wear eye protection while removing the screen.
Others may have another way to do this job. Or you could call a mobile windscreen guy to do it.

2. nope.

3.The back screen area stainless pieces are just clipped onto the roof. Start at the bottom of one side and try to pull it rearwards to get the first clip to start to move. Pretty soon the whole three main pieces will come off.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:26 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
I've always removed my screens exactly the way Glenn has described if the rubbers were still soft enough but with the last 3 Bellett screens I have taken out have been so dry and hard I have had to cut the rubbers out with a box cutter.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): 1967 Bellett
Thanks for the help guys, still undecided on removing the screens or now. going to wash when paint is tripped so will see if there are leaks, might make my decision for me

couldn't get the gutter trims off without wrekcing them though, was kind of a white hard sealant (hopefully not asbestos based as I didn't wear a mask until I was halfway through and had that thought!)

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]