View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
GT side stripes 

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Does anyone know the thickness of the side black GT stripes.

Including the thickness at the back where it thins after passing the wheel arch.

Cheers
Rob

Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
This is from scaling from a picture of a car that may or may not have original or good reproduction stripes (it looked original to me).
The large stripe appears to be the same height as the GT letters in the 1600GT emblem.
The gap between the large stripe and small stripe is about 18% of the height of the GT letters.
The small stripe is about 25% of the height of the GT letters.
The larger stripe reduces to about 66% of its original height as it curves over the rear arch.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:48 am

Thanks for that.
Close enough for what I was thinking of doing.

Errrm .... what is the size of the GT letters ?

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:14 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Bad news, don't have any to measure. Not sure where the extra partial "ett" came from, but no 1600 GT plaques to be found.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:15 am

Car(s): 67 BELLETT SEDAN. 66 AUTO SEDAN PARTS CAR.HAD GT NOW AT ORPHANAGE
rob how is going.. have alook at james darvas's car on dick klinkhamers site is this the style of stripe you are after james is under the cars of the world he lives in tassie all the best mate ..howd you go with that ...that... book cheers davo if you dont find it i have a photo i can send you

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 am

For some reason the Bellett manual on ebay got pulled. Bit annoying.

I havent been able to locate the site you suggest, do you have a link I can paste.

At the moment inbetween working, I'm trying to get my wheels cleaned, polished and fitted with tyres.
It is a bit of a struggle, i'm trying to get it done by Christmas so I can drive the car.

Anyhow ....

Cheers Rob

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:57 am

heya rob.
gather this is the look you're after??

Attachment:
gtstripea.jpg
gtstripea.jpg [ 51.95 KiB | Viewed 11258 times ]

this is my 1st sedan i owned. did the GT-R stripe thing in the mid 90's to it.
i took a guess at the width's and spacing back then, and as it turns out, it was fairlly close to right.
i did the lower, fat stripe at 2 inches wide, a 1 inch gap, then a 1 inch stripe on the top.
the lower one then thinned to 1 inch over the wheel arch and along the quarter to match the top one.
i measured a 1/24 scale GT-R model kit i have here, and although the measurements are small, once you multiply them
by 24 (to get the full size scale), they came out so close to the sizes i use that it didn't matter. were talking decimal places!!

hope this helps.

btw... the badges i used on the front guards and the rear under the RH tailight are actually Monaro "GTS" ones.
i was going to use Torana "GTR" badges, but then i thought.... it's not a GT-R, let along a coupe, but it's a sedan, so does that make it a "GT-Sedan", or "GTS"..........????
was something a bit different in the end.

cheers.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Awesome that is very close to what I was thinking of doing. Kinda thought somebody must have been there before.
Many, many thanks for the info.

Like the GT Sedan thoughts ... after all it will be a Grand Touring Sport sedan :)

Happy New Year :D

Cheers
Rob

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:50 am

RobSA wrote:
Many, many thanks for the info.

no probs mate.

RobSA wrote:
Like the GT Sedan thoughts ... after all it will be a Grand Touring Sport sedan :)

feel free to do the same!!

I used HK/HT/HG Monaro badges, and left the "GT" in black like a 1600GT badge, but I painted the "S" in green to match the "R" on a "Type-R" badge on a GT-R.
Mind you, if I did this all again (which will probably happen on this car again for my Dad), I'd use HQ ones.
The HK-G ones have very "square" letters, in that there's 90 degree corners instead of radius curves on the "G" and the "S".
The HQ ones are more rounded, and the "G" is more in line with the "G" on a 1600GT badge.
Also, as the HK-G is the best known and liked Monaro, the badges were easily indentified by all and sundry, so it was obvious what they were off, where as the HQ badges would (IMHO) be more exclusive and harder to pick as not being off a Bellett.
Having said this, the HZ GTS badge is a very pretty one, and much smaller than the HK or HQ items, so that might suit better as the HK and HQ ones are bigger than any Bellett GT badge ever was.
Food for thought I guess.

Cheers.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]