View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Bellett Book (Miller) 

Car(s): Hillman (Bellett ancestor), Rallied a Bellett in the 1970s, Owned a Gemini, Bellett GTR 1:43
I keep seeing advertisements for this book on the Isuzu Bellett by Frederic Miller.

http://tinyurl.com/2wmjtod

Has anyone bought it? Is it any good?

Cheers, Vic

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Scam.

Looked rather interesting to see books written about Isuzu cars, odd that the author no one had heard of had covered every model of Isuzu, and more odd that the same author had some 77,000+ books to his credit, all of which had the same cover image.

A little more looking revealed that this was cut and pasted Wikipedia/Rumorpedia content, which is enough of a waste of bandwidth when free, and a royal insult when someone is unfortunate enough to pay for the inaccurate and unverified content.

Reviews of other Frederic P. Miller "books":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-r ... 1II3T9FNOS
Quote:
Stirling Engine: Stirling engine. Regenerative heat exchanger, Stirling cycle, Thermomechanical generator, Distributed generation, Fluidyne engine, Internal combustion engine, Steam engine

Stirling Engine: Stirling engine. Regenerative heat exchanger, Stirling cycle, Thermomechanical generator, Distributed generation, Fluidyne engine, Internal combustion engine, Steam engine
by Frederic P. Miller
Edition: Paperback
Availability: Currently unavailable

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read collection of Wikipedia articles, 6 Dec 2009
This review is from: Stirling Engine: Stirling engine. Regenerative heat exchanger, Stirling cycle, Thermomechanical generator, Distributed generation, Fluidyne engine, Internal combustion engine, Steam engine (Paperback)
This is one of the oddest books I've ever bought. When I saw it on Amazon, I thought it was quite good value for an academic text book. When it arrived, it looked like they'd tried too hard to save publishing costs. It's quite a small book of about 90 pages or so. The print is very small and some people would have difficulty reading it. More of a problem to me was that the diagrams were not in colour, which made it difficult to read the graphs properly or to tell which were the hot parts of the engines and which were the cold. Then I discovered that the book was a collection of Wikipedia articles that I could have read for free. They're actually better on Wikipedia because the diagrams are animated and in colour. The articles themselves seem well researched and written. I thought the book would be mainly about Stirling engines, but they were only discussed in the first chapter. It was as much about other engine types, including various types of internal combustion engines and steam engines.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-r ... OFR8BYHASR
Quote:
Fermentation (wine): Fermentation (biochemistry), Wine, Catalysis, Grape juice, Alcoholic beverage, Yeast, Sugar, Ethanol, Carbon dioxide, By- product, Winemaking, Temperature, Oxygen, Must

Fermentation (wine): Fermentation (biochemistry), Wine, Catalysis, Grape juice, Alcoholic beverage, Yeast, Sugar, Ethanol, Carbon dioxide, By- product, Winemaking, Temperature, Oxygen, Must
by Frederic P. Miller

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - just a Wikipedia printout!, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Fermentation (wine): Fermentation (biochemistry), Wine, Catalysis, Grape juice, Alcoholic beverage, Yeast, Sugar, Ethanol, Carbon dioxide, By- product, Winemaking, Temperature, Oxygen, Must (Paperback)
Buy this product only if you want a somewhat overpriced printout of a number of Wikipedia articles. Not that there is much wrong with several of the articles as such, but they are available online for free, where they also tend to improve over time. It is a shame that the item description doesn't mention what it actually is.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Dessert Wine: Wine, Dessert, Sauternes (Wine), Tokaji, Fortified Wine, Port Wine, Madeira Wine, Pedro Ximénez, Beaumes de Venise AOC, Alcohol by ... Chaptalization, Straw Wine, Ice Wine

Dessert Wine: Wine, Dessert, Sauternes (Wine), Tokaji, Fortified Wine, Port Wine, Madeira Wine, Pedro Ximénez, Beaumes de Venise AOC, Alcohol by ... Chaptalization, Straw Wine, Ice Wine
by Frederic P. Miller
Price: £35.00
Availability: Usually dispatched within 4 to 7 weeks

This review is from: Dessert Wine: Wine, Dessert, Sauternes (Wine), Tokaji, Fortified Wine, Port Wine, Madeira Wine, Pedro Ximénez, Beaumes de Venise AOC, Alcohol by ... Chaptalization, Straw Wine, Ice Wine (Paperback)
Buy this product only if you want a somewhat overpriced printout of a number of Wikipedia articles. Not that there is much wrong with several of the articles as such (and, actually, I'm one of the contributors to the WikiProject Wine - questionable if the same applies to the good folk whose names appears above), but they are available online for free, where they also tend to improve over time. It is a shame that the item description doesn't mention what it actually is.

Homebrewing: Brewing, Beer, Cider, Wine, Alcoholic beverage, Hobby, Distillation, Distilled beverage, History of wine, Kilju, Microbrewery, Mashing

Homebrewing: Brewing, Beer, Cider, Wine, Alcoholic beverage, Hobby, Distillation, Distilled beverage, History of wine, Kilju, Microbrewery, Mashing
by Frederic P. Miller
Price: £41.00

This review is from: Homebrewing: Brewing, Beer, Cider, Wine, Alcoholic beverage, Hobby, Distillation, Distilled beverage, History of wine, Kilju, Microbrewery, Mashing (Paperback)
Buy this product only if you want a somewhat overpriced printout of a number of Wikipedia articles. Not that there is much wrong with several of the articles as such (and, actually, I'm one of the contributors to the WikiProject Wine - questionable if the same applies to the good folk whose names appears above), but they are available online for free, where they also tend to improve over time. It is a shame that the item description doesn't mention what it actually is.

Brandy: Dutch Language, Distilled Beverage, Distillation, Wine, Fermentation (Wine), Alcohol by Volume, Batch Distillation, Cut Brandy, Fine (Drink), ... Wine, Himbeergeist, Singani, Caramel Color

Brandy: Dutch Language, Distilled Beverage, Distillation, Wine, Fermentation (Wine), Alcohol by Volume, Batch Distillation, Cut Brandy, Fine (Drink), ... Wine, Himbeergeist, Singani, Caramel Color
by Frederic P. Miller

This review is from: Brandy: Dutch Language, Distilled Beverage, Distillation, Wine, Fermentation (Wine), Alcohol by Volume, Batch Distillation, Cut Brandy, Fine (Drink), ... Wine, Himbeergeist, Singani, Caramel Color (Paperback)
Buy this product only if you want a somewhat overpriced printout of a number of Wikipedia articles. Not that there is much wrong with several of the articles as such, but they are available online for free, where they also tend to improve over time. It is a shame that the item description doesn't mention what it actually is.

Brewing: Alcoholic beverage, Alcohol fuel, Fermentation (food), Beer, Wine, Mead, Sake, Extraction, Heat, Cider, History of Egypt, Sumer, Spice, Soy sauce

Brewing: Alcoholic beverage, Alcohol fuel, Fermentation (food), Beer, Wine, Mead, Sake, Extraction, Heat, Cider, History of Egypt, Sumer, Spice, Soy sauce
by Frederic P. Miller
Price: £62.00

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
This review is from: Brewing: Alcoholic beverage, Alcohol fuel, Fermentation (food), Beer, Wine, Mead, Sake, Extraction, Heat, Cider, History of Egypt, Sumer, Spice, Soy sauce (Paperback)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2010 10:44 AM BST

Burgundy Wine: Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Gamay, Aligote,Chablis wine, Beaujolais (wine), Appellation d'origine controlee, Classification of wine, Cru (wine), Monastery

Burgundy Wine: Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Gamay, Aligote,Chablis wine, Beaujolais (wine), Appellation d'origine controlee, Classification of wine, Cru (wine), Monastery
by Frederic P. Miller
Price: £31.00
Availability: In stock

This review is from: Burgundy Wine: Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Gamay, Aligote,Chablis wine, Beaujolais (wine), Appellation d'origine controlee, Classification of wine, Cru (wine), Monastery (Paperback)
Buy this product only if you want a somewhat overpriced printout of a number of Wikipedia articles. Not that there is much wrong with several of the articles as such (and, actually, I'm one of the contributors to the WikiProject Wine - questionable if the same applies to the good folk whose names appears above), but they are available online for free, where they also tend to improve over time. And I believe I can say that around and just after the date of publication given for this item, several Wikipedia articles related to Burgundy wine were in the process of being expanded, so I wouldn't really bother even if I actually wanted to pay for a Wikipedia printout. It is a shame that the item description doesn't mention what it actually is.

Acids in Wine: Acid, Wine, Winemaking, Grape, Wine Tasting Descriptors, Yeast, Fermentation (wine), Bacteria, PH, Wine Tasting, Sweetness of Wine, Tannin, Tartaric Acid, Malic Acid

Acids in Wine: Acid, Wine, Winemaking, Grape, Wine Tasting Descriptors, Yeast, Fermentation (wine), Bacteria, PH, Wine Tasting, Sweetness of Wine, Tannin, Tartaric Acid, Malic Acid
by Frederic P. Miller
Price: £54.00

This review is from: Acids in Wine: Acid, Wine, Winemaking, Grape, Wine Tasting Descriptors, Yeast, Fermentation (wine), Bacteria, PH, Wine Tasting, Sweetness of Wine, Tannin, Tartaric Acid, Malic Acid (Paperback)

Italian Wine: Wine, Italy, Etruscan civilization, Vineyard, 2nd century BC, Viticulture, Winemaking, Storage of wine, Barrel, Cooper (profession), ... Winery, Old World wine, History of Chianti

Italian Wine: Wine, Italy, Etruscan civilization, Vineyard, 2nd century BC, Viticulture, Winemaking, Storage of wine, Barrel, Cooper (profession), ... Winery, Old World wine, History of Chianti
by Frederic P. Miller
Price: £41.00

This review is from: Italian Wine: Wine, Italy, Etruscan civilization, Vineyard, 2nd century BC, Viticulture, Winemaking, Storage of wine, Barrel, Cooper (profession), ... Winery, Old World wine, History of Chianti (Paperback)

Bordeaux Wine: Wine. Bordeaux. Table wine. Claret. Château. Sparkling wine. Château d'Yquem. Appellation d'origine contrôlée. History of Bordeaux wine. Bordeaux wine regions. Bordeaux Wine Official

Bordeaux Wine: Wine. Bordeaux. Table wine. Claret. Château. Sparkling wine. Château d'Yquem. Appellation d'origine contrôlée. History of Bordeaux wine. Bordeaux wine regions. Bordeaux Wine Official
by Frederic P. Miller

This review is from: Bordeaux Wine: Wine. Bordeaux. Table wine. Claret. Château. Sparkling wine. Château d'Yquem. Appellation d'origine contrôlée. History of Bordeaux wine. Bordeaux wine regions. Bordeaux Wine Official (Paperback)

Yeast: Yeast. History of wine, History of beer, Mating of yeast, Brettanomyces, Fermentation (wine), Baker's yeast, Bioaerosol, Ethanol fermentation, Winemaking, Tetrad (genetics)

Yeast: Yeast. History of wine, History of beer, Mating of yeast, Brettanomyces, Fermentation (wine), Baker's yeast, Bioaerosol, Ethanol fermentation, Winemaking, Tetrad (genetics)
by Frederic P. Miller

This review is from: Yeast: Yeast. History of wine, History of beer, Mating of yeast, Brettanomyces, Fermentation (wine), Baker's yeast, Bioaerosol, Ethanol fermentation, Winemaking, Tetrad (genetics) (Paperback)

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 am

Car(s): Hillman (Bellett ancestor), Rallied a Bellett in the 1970s, Owned a Gemini, Bellett GTR 1:43
Thanks a lot JT. Good grief, for the asking price/s quoted I'd expect a properly researched book, not a collection of Wikipedia articles.

Cheers, Vic

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Yes JT, Instructions to make cheap wine on this site is an insult !! agreed

B.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:56 pm

GTtoo wrote:
Yes JT, Instructions to make cheap wine on this site is an insult !! agreed

B.

Maybe it's good that it is so difficult to find a list of reviews of this scammer's "books". Hopefully, not many people are falling for it. Only someone who is active within a fan or enthusiast community like wine (or cars) would bother to write reviews to warn off other people who follow their hobby.
And the orders are fulfilled by Amazon corporate, so there is no way to rate the vendor as a scam artist to warn off customers.
But he is getting as much as $336.50 per "book" now. The recycle value of the paper used to print the entire contents of Wikipedia wouldn't be worth $336.50 after fouling the paper with those rumors and half truths.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm

This would probably have been a better link to have found to begin with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... _and_notes

Quote:
Alphascript Publishing sells free articles as expensive books

An Amazon.com book search on 9 June 2009 gives 1009 (6 August, gives 1,859) "books" from Alphascript Publishing.[nan 1] 1003 of the books are described as "by John McBrewster, Frederic P. Miller, and Agnes F. Vandome". They are called editors in the book listings. It seems the only content of the many books is free Wikipedia articles with no sign that these three people have contributed to them.

The articles are often poorly printed with features such as missing characters from foreign languages, and numerous images of arrows where Wikipedia had links. It appears much better to read the original articles for free at the Wikipedia website than paying a lot of money for what has been described as a scam or hoax. Advertising for the books at Amazon and elsewhere does not reveal the free source of all the content. It is only revealed inside the books which may satisfy the license requirements for republishing of Wikipedia articles.

As an example of the "care" given to the books, the book "History of Georgia (country)" is about the European country Georgia but has a cover image of Atlanta in the American state Georgia.[nan 2] The Wikipedia article History of Georgia (country) does not make such a comical blunder.

PrimeHunter has compiled a list of the 1009 titles identified in June.
References

1. ^ Amazon book search, retrieved 9 June 2009.
2. ^ "History of Georgia (country)".

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Ok.

Has anyone seen the Bellett or Florian items?

Frederic Miller was descibed in a Wikipedia article as a publisher of books that people pay to publish (rather than get paid for having published) and there was controversy regarding the varying quality of the books he puts into print.

With this, I figured that we'd get something that could be anything from rubbish to an informative and well-researched book. I'm leaning towards the former.... but haven't seen the books in question.

I have actually bought the Florian book and at least two guys I know have bought the Bellett book. My Florian book was shipped yesterday, I think. I guess if this thread had appeared sooner, we may have reconsidered our purchase (especially at the prices asked circa $100!), but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I'll let you know how the Florian book goes while the other boys will surely share their joy/despair (circle appropriate emotion) when the Bellett book arrives.

Still, it's got to be better than buying any of the evangelical books by JG Bellett that appear on eBay constantly. 65Bellett bought one just because he was sick of seeing them every time he searched eBay! I don't think it adequately exorcised the demons... those books are still there.

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:46 pm
Profile WWW

agreed dave.

but a book that has english text and bellett pics, even if the research may not be 100% accurate, is still more interesting than just looking at pretty pics and remaining in a constant state of dispair over the japanese text that we know reveals plenty of juicy info, but we can't read a word of it....

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Well, the Florian book arrived.

Despair.

Don't buy it.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Gents,
If it is a Scam and does NOT represent what he is saying, report to EBay, they do act on those people. :twisted:
I saw the price and suspected exactly what you are saying, :evil: as Brett said, if when in English the content could be suspect. :?:
I have books on the Bellett which shows all models, :D however the script is Japanese, :( great yes, unfortunately for me I can read Japanese :( , but the pictures are GREAT!! :)

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
SORRY GUYS, typo, I MEAN'T "I CAN NOT READ JAPANESE!!!" :lol:

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:05 am

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
My Thoughts exactly Dave .... give negitave feedback & advise e-bay of the scam may be able to advise wikipedia of problem as well ......copyright issue's .

so sad that book is not up to scratch!!!!!
chin up Ken

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:50 am

I have contacted the seller, booktopia_australia, who works out of an online shop based in Sydney called Booktopia.

I have advised that while I'm aware they are not responsible for the content of the book, they should shop stocking items from Alphascript Publishing as they may want to pride themselves on offering only quality products, which this book is not.

It was entirely feasible that someone had done some research work and I was hoping it was someone who may have scammed all the info out of a Japanese book (eg Neko Publishing book) and translated it, then self published it thru Alfascript. It would stand to reason that the price would be high for such a small run and if this was the case, I would have been more than happy to pay the $85.00 (some have paid closer to $100.00) to have a few questions answered regarding our favourite cars.

However, this was not the case. Mine, being the Florian book, has a copy+paste of the Wikipedia Florian article, which if you've ever checked it is only a couple of hundred words long. It also has a copy+paste of the general Isuzu article, the Bellel and Isuzu Aska Wikipedia articles, plus at the back it also has articles on the Isuzu P'up and Chevrolet LUV, which are theoretically all related to the Florian in either mechanics or family line (ie Isuzu Bellel replaced by Florian replaced by Aska ,while Chevy LUV is Florian ute and P'Up is replacement LUV...).

However, it also has Wikipedia articles on "Sedan" as an automotive concept; the development of said body style and some examples of, as well as a similar article dealing with the history and concept of the 'station wagon'. I mean seriously.... it may as well have articles on Kermit the Frog, thrombophilia or Fourme de Montbrison, which is a form of mouldy cheese.

It also has Wikipedia articles on 'manual' and 'automatic' transmissions - not Isuzu-specific transmissions, mind you, but manuals and autos as a concept. FFS!

I've asked for my money back. Pending....

(What a pain in the arse)

Cheers,

Dave

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Sorry to hear the sad news guys, glad I was short of money! Thanks for the heads-up.
Especially JT - lots of researching!
Cheers & hope you get a cashback,
Matt.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Job well done JT saved a lot of us some money I was looking at the Florian & the Bellett books
thanks again

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:11 am

Hey guys, Booktopia are the sellers of this book and appear to have been burned by the suppliers also; I asked nicely (per above) and they have agreed to refund my money if I post the book back (cross out address and mark it RTS - dodgy but it'll make it).

They said they are removing these books from their catalogue. Bellett book still on Ebay yesterday....

Cheers,

Dave

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile WWW

The way the system is set up, this scam is going to remain on Amazon until they get enough complaints that the time dealing with the complaints forces them to pull the item listings. It took an international outcry to get the "child molester how to book" pulled off Amazon a few weeks ago.
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct ... 3Fhpt%3DT2
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digit ... ookshelves

Wikipedia has no copyrights. It's all free and open for use. That was the intent of the guy who invented it, along with his idea that everyone has information to contribute to build a knowledge base. And, just like the rest of his concept, this was myopic, and ignores the fact that there are nuts, crooks, and children loose in the world whose primary entertainment is acting nutty, stealing, and bullying people via the internet. So we end up with unverified rumors and the "truth" is voted on by mostly nut jobs who are motivated enough to go onto the website and continually change things to say what they want people to think, with no connection to or concern for what the truth actually is. It's the embodiment of "If you repeat the same lie enough times, people will start to believe it".

Amazon set up the system to sell books. Anything they handle in house is under their name, so there is no third party vendor to go after or give negative feedback, comments, or seller reviews to.

Alphascript, the company actually putting the words onto the paper (formerly called a publisher, now merely a print house), have set up a system to print books on demand. An "author" sends them a text file, and Alphascript puts it on paper, binds it at the edge, and puts a cover onto the outside of the stack of papers. It's a great idea if someone wants to publish a book and can't afford to print a couple thousand at a time or find a traditional publishing house to back their writing.

Amazon works with these print-on-demand companies, and provides a internet storefront for them to vend their products.

And everything works wonderfully until someone finds a way to put together a good scam. A scam like this:
Take text from a source that is not protected by copyright.
Send it to a print-on-demand company and turn it into a book.
List it on a big, respectable internet retailer's website. Put together descriptions and cover artwork that make the book sound like more than it actually is.
Delivery from the print house to the customer is totally automated and handled by the big, respectable internet retailer, so it ends up being sold under the name of that big, respectable internet retailer.
And the customer gets stuck in the end.

If you got the print house to take the book back, you're doing better than most of the rest of the victims of this scam.

And because Amazon has this same relationship with print-on-demand companies on every continent and probably in every country, and because the author is far enough removed from the delivery system, there isn't going to be any way to get Amazon to pull all 77,000+ books that this scam artist has listed in on Amazon.

Short of writing 77,000 individual book reviews, there isn't going to be any way of warning people. A book store is going to be really resistant to the idea of pulling all books by an author, they feel they are protecting the freedom of speech. And that they as a mere vendor have no business accessing the value or accuracy of the content of the book. This whole scam is alien to their way of thinking as a book seller. If they were based in selling products, they might have a parallel like a vendor delivering an empty box without the product inside or a product that does not do what it claims to do. But they hide behind the intellectual curtain.

I spotted this quite a while ago, and these "books" were something like $15-25 at that time. It looks like they are emboldened by their success and raised their price/theft scale accordingly.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 pm

This is another one to avoid:
Isuzu: Isuzu Gemini, Isuzu Bellett, Isuzu Florian, Isuzu Aska, Isuzu Panther, Isuzu 117 Coupé, Isuzu Tf, Isuzu Bellel, Isuzu Elf, Isuzu I-Mark (German Edition) [Paperback]
Bücher Gruppe (Editor)

http://www.amazon.com/Isuzu-Gemini-Bell ... 964&sr=8-3

The book description, after the list of model names, is copied directly from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu

Looking at the author/editor's credits:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp ... r%20Gruppe
55,000+ books.
Every single one of them sharing the same cover.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:23 pm

all, please take heed....
avoid these "miller" books like the plague....

yes, i'm one of the bunny's who paid over $100.... :evil: for the Bellett version.
thought that finding an english text Bellett book might be a worthwhile thing.... HA!
127 page book.... only 2 pages about Belletts.... then goes onto the same drivel that Dave mentions....
and all ripped from wikipedia.

an email has been sent to the seller, and as per Dave's fulfilled request, refund pending.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 pm

and as per Dave again, "RTS" and money refunded.
at least the seller of these 'books' is being very reasonable, and the "Bellett" book will now be removed from sale....
for good....

keep u all informed.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next