View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Bellett's in North America 

Car(s): Impulse -85, racing Bellett -67 1,5-liter 5-speed, GEO Storm -93 1,8 16V DOHC
Casa Jaar in Honduras has body panels for Belletts. Everything else but not front fenders. I think no-one has made aftermarket body panels for Bellett. Exept what we have made ourselves. In Finland we have made doorsteps (or what it is..) from stainless and normal steel and fenders and bonnets from glass fiber. The japanese Isuzu enthusiasts planned about 15 years ago to have steel front fenders made in Korea. They also asked us how many fenders we would order. But the pre orders were so few that this plan didn´t come true.

Casa Jaas has lots of parts for Belletts. I think we have ordered parts from there over 10 years. Contact Guillermo J. Jaar. He understands english. In Cyprus there were also body panels for Belletts, but when I went there they had destroyed the panels some weeks ago to get space for parts for the new Isuzus... But they had other smaller parts left. Even parts that they don´t have available in Japan anymore.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:02 am

Car(s): 1968 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe (Polynesian Blue), 1974 Datsun 240z, 1970 Datsun Fairlady SRL311, 1966 Prince Skyline
Hey Hudson, Welcome to the forum!

Just a quick note on the Wanted section. As antus mentioned it is for specific threads for specific parts. If your post had stayed as "I want a Canadian Bellett" then we would have been right to leave it there, but it's waaay more interesting like this :)

As for height, I'm 6 foot 1, Dave (same one from facebook) and PR91 are about the same. I've had to extend my rails back by about two inches for comfort but I've also driven a Bellett with a standard seating position and it hasn't bothered me too much. Mine now has a racing bucket which is larger so I would have had to move it anyway. The original buckets feel like they go back further than the bench seat option but it's probably my imagination :)

Good luck with the Bellett hunting up there and if you need parts and want them shipped there are always a few down here in good ol' Australia too. Post some pics when you get one or just post some pics of the near misses when you find one... Remember to look for rust in the front shock towers on the engine bay side!! This seems to be a problem area for these cars.

Enjoy the forum and if you have any questions feel free to ask as this is neutral ground for all country's involved :D.

Cheers,
Ross.

1971 S30 Datsun 240Z - Race car
1972 S30 Datsun 240Z

For more info, articles and pictures visit http://GarageofAwesome.com.au

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 am
Profile WWW

2ldohc wrote:
As for height, I'm 6 foot 1, Dave (same one from facebook) and PR91 are about the same. I've had to extend my rails back by about two inches for comfort but I've also driven a Bellett with a standard seating position and it hasn't bothered me too much. Mine now has a racing bucket which is larger so I would have had to move it anyway. The original buckets feel like they go back further than the bench seat option but it's probably my imagination :)

Good luck with the Bellett hunting up there and if you need parts and want them shipped there are always a few down here in good ol' Australia too. Post some pics when you get one or just post some pics of the near misses when you find one... Remember to look for rust in the front shock towers on the engine bay side!! This seems to be a problem area for these cars.

Enjoy the forum and if you have any questions feel free to ask as this is neutral ground for all country's involved :D.

Cheers,
Ross.

Ross,

Thanks for the information! My height is mostly in my legs.. but I figure I will manage.. I'm not "american big" either, if you get what I mean. ;)

Well I will post what I find.. but these cars rarely pop up.. like once every couple years.. hence one of the reasons I was such a keyword dropping whore in that first post. I'm hoping someone who wants to unload one will do an internet search and come across this :)

I'm not worried about strut tower rot.. especially the front ones.. very easy to get at.. easy to fabricate.. and I would likely modify them anyways. Besides general strengthening, all the rally guys round here modify they're strut mounts to the subaru type.. very cheap and almost indestructable.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
i wouldnt worry about the seating position too much either, i am 6 foot 2 and plenty fat! i have driven a few belletts and never been uncomfortable when in the drivers seat! good luck in your search!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:25 am

mrflibbles wrote:
i wouldnt worry about the seating position too much either, i am 6 foot 2 and plenty fat! i have driven a few belletts and never been uncomfortable when in the drivers seat! good luck in your search!

That's good to hear :) There is nothign worse than searching for a car and then finding out you don't fit! (original austin mini for example:)

Cheers,

Andrew

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:39 am

Car(s): 1965 Mustang
JT191
I am a newbie to this site and in no way pretend to know all the answers on how many Bellett's were sent, shipped or brought to the states via Pony Exrpress. I will not pot in Russian here and look down at those who do not understand it. I will not explain it ( the forieng language ) in a later post by spoon feeding it to us backward folks. From your desription of Isuzu road warriors who chase down those who bring in a pre 1980 Isuzu's, that MUST have been scarey.
Here is an example of what happens to a Bellett owner who attempts to infiltrate a Z club or some glasspack drifting club:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN . Oh yeah, Here in North America, this happens weekly.
JT191, I dont think you are a bad guy but in reading your back posts, I note two things. First, you are and intellegent man. But intellegence used to humiliate or ridicule if stupid.
Secondly. Your response to anyones post is laced with demeaning challenges, vieled insults, Japanese sentences that you place simply to show your knowlegde base in a forum which is NOT about that. You go off on a half page rant abou how you ARENT going to explain something. WTF???
All I am saying is what I normally note on this site is folks being helpful without taking a sht EVERY chance they get. If somone is wrong... So what, nicely show proof and be done with it. Anyway, I had simply noted that most members of this board go out of thier way not to upset you when YOU tend to ridicule. It simply is not right and I think the folks on this board desrve better. Just my two cents.
If some of my words are mis-spelled, I really dont care, the idea should still get across to you.

Another Bellett owner being left out in North America. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN

Thanks for everyones help

C716

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:09 am

Car(s): 65 and 66 sedan
I wanna get in touch with Jerry Springer Show and have an episode devoted to feral Isuzu fans.

C716 it's a shame when Idiots join a forum and contribute nothing but unfounded rubbish and politics. I have been involved wit h Belletts since I was 16 and have nothing but good experiences with fellow enthusiasts, as a matter of fact some of my closest freinds have only come about because of our love for the Bellett. Welcome to the forum, I hope you have a great time on here. I'm sure you will learn alot and may be teach a few of us some thing. Lets talk Isuzu and ignore all the "Trailerpark Bull Dust".

GAv

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Car(s): 1965 Mustang
GAV,
Thanks for the reply.
I didnt mean to really have such a long tirad about the post but I have simply noted repetition in certain posts and they were not helpful or good.
ANYWAY, My brother does in fact have a Bellett and we have oft wondered the correct pronunciation of it. Being American may have us thinking it is pronouced a certain way when in fact it probably is not. Can you help?

C716

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:20 am

C,

I'm no expert, but I know that Bellett isn't a proper Japanese word/name.. maybe JT will know how the japanese pronounce it.. knowing where and what extra vowels they throw in there would help I think.. or maybe I'm totally left field.

Where is your brother located? Does he have a coupe or sedan?

Cheers,

Andrew

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Car(s): 1968 Bellett 1300 2dr, 06 Scion XA ,05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo HO
Hi Andrew, Mark here I'm in Florida, aka bellettpr10 here on the great Bellett.net website.
since we never got any of these cars here I've relied on helpful folks from all over to try to identify and get information on this car,and these are very interesting cars.
as Ari from Finland has pointed out there are not two that are the same,my goal is to get this baby roadworthy again someday, I have a good base platform to work with not much rust and mostly intact original.The one downside for me anyway is that it's a funky RH drive and single headlight version which is cool but a bitch to get parts for so I am trying to preserve as much as possible. I have recent photos that I havent posted yet of removing headlights and grills and doing some corrosion control on the wheels and new tires so I can roll it around .... :lol: I saw your thread on the Canadian Bellett and it's awsome how the guys that have been around these cars can see stuff like delux badges and really kind of know what you might or might not have,good luck on hunting a Bellett down.
I really enjoy this site and the Bellett "chat" and ... the awsome Bellett projects and cars. Cheers Mark

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm
Profile WWW

Mark,

Sorry for not getting back to your email!

I like your Bellett. It shouldn't be too hard to convert over to LHD.. off the top of my head you probably only require a LHD pedal box and steering rack.

The marks for the holes should already be in the firewall.. would just need to weld up the ones on the other side. The dashboard looks like it would convert from one to the other beautifully -- I think this was mentioned somewhere.

Get your recent photos online!

I'll keep everyone posted as to the trials and tribulations of Bellett hunting in Canada ;)

Cheers,

Andrew

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:15 pm

So I remembered that I had come across some pictures of a coupe in a junkyard somewhere in the states.. that's all I know..

Here are the pictures.. I have to admit, I love the towbar! :P

Attachments:
680917_8_full.jpg
680917_8_full.jpg [ 38.87 KiB | Viewed 18469 times ]
680917_7_full.jpg
680917_7_full.jpg [ 44.04 KiB | Viewed 18470 times ]
680917_6_full.jpg
680917_6_full.jpg [ 41.75 KiB | Viewed 18470 times ]
Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Ok, I've not checked the forum for about 4 days and it appears all hell has broken loose!

JT191 does like to sling shit around, be a bit cagey and speak in riddles like he's Agent Mulder, but he's an Isuzu enthusiast and he appears to have a Bellett. Whether he keeps it in Japan or USA or up his arse is anyone's guess, but he's still welcome here - but only if his comments do not make others feel uncomfortable or personally attacked.

In Australia, the rules are that if you're gonna dish it out, be prepared to have it served back. That's pretty simple. In sport we call it 'sledging' although the Yanks probably call it 'psyching'.

This thread did kinda get off topic, then kinda went back on topic and where it should be now is anyone's guess, but one thing's for sure; it's great to have it on our site.

For a start, we've been exposed to a rotting GT somewhere in North America, which is sad, but great to just see it at all. It's a pretty late job - 1972-1973ish. Try and find it! It doesn't look too deeply entrenched, unlike some of the others you've mentioned.

Andrew, I'm the Dave from Facebook and again I can vouch that with the standard rails, things aren't too bad. I found that my ankle used to get sore, but after a few drives my body either got used to it stretching that way or a piece of me died; one or the other. Actually, if I don't drive it for a couple of weeks I get that feeling again if I'm driving it for a while. The seats are quite thin and because they don't go back far (or recline on my model) the rear leg room is pretty good!

My (non Isuzu enthusiast) mate drove it to a show last year when I drove my Bellett GT and when I got back into the sedan, I drove it then braked and the seat slid about 2 inches forward then clicked into what must have been the final locking thingo. I had to ask him, with my height, what made him think that I DIDN'T have the seat all the way back in the first place?!?!? I guess you get a couple of extra inches if you don't mind sliding back and forth... but that's just not really on.

As for pronunciation of the word "Bellett", I was pronouncing it Bell-ay when I first got into them. A mate of mine said his girlfriend's friend had one (interestingly, there's a high chance the one he saw her driving is the one I have now) and she pronounced it "Bell-ett". That made sense when I thought about it because of the double TT would make it a hard sound, rather than the French-derived silent T of 'ballet'.

Further to this, some emphasise different parts of the word. I've heard many pronounce it "Bel.tt" - it's hard to describe, but basically as if the last e hardly existed. Probably a bit like the way 'bullett' is pronounced if you say it quickly. I've always kinda said "Bell-ett" because nobody told me otherwise.

JT191 will no doubt correct me, but the katakana alphabet used to spell foreign words in Japan (despite Belletts being indigenous Japanese cars, the word is not Japanese as such, so it gets spelled with katakana) would spell Bellett like this:

Actually before I say this, I have to explain that the Japanese (as far as I know) have no consonants that end without a vowel (except 'n'). Thus, every letter has 5 versions, each with a different vowel. Without giving you the actual script in hirogana or katakana, the letters go like:
a,i,u,e,o (vowels)

then stuff like:
sa,si,su,se,so
ta,ti,tu,te,to
ma,mi,mu,me,mo etc.

Plus stuff like tsa, tsu and other combos.

So Bellett cannot actually be written - coz there is no 't', just 'ta, ti, tu, te, to'.

And, of course, the Japanese have no L's at all!

So Bellett in Japan is very different:

BE-RE-TSU-TO

...is about it in English letters!

ベレット <--- here it is in Katakana if your PC supports it.

Bellett is a 4-letter word!

Anyway, must cruise. Got the Big Day Out concert festival on tomorrow so I should have got an early night. I think it's going to be 42 degrees or about 107.6 degrees Fahrenheight.

Yesterday when Ross and I scored a couple of Belletts (a whole different story) it topped out at our hottest day in 70 years... 44.7 degrees or 114.3 in Fahrenheight.

Basically kids, it's fucking hot!

See you after the show (if I don't completely evaporate - we are like 80% water!)

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:26 pm
Profile WWW

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
I'm not quite catching 65bellett. He seems to play along with some of the humor with the Mad Max references. I think you give the group I am referring to a little too much credit. Unlike Australians, they lack the courage to confront anyone face to face. Instead, they threaten to beat someone up if they find them at a show, cowardly avoid the person at the show, follow them after the show, and key scratch the persons car (8 out of 12 panels). But they have huge cahones (Spanish for balls) to yell at people on internet forums, which is what I would like to avoid.
But then 65bellett pulls a 180 with the idiots who don't contribute comment.

I just want to make sure C176 realizes that he criticized someone for knowing and using Japanese, and then immediately after this asked a Japanese language question... Must be a new technique for making friends and influencing people.

Dave, you are right about the pronunciation but possibly for different reasons than you realize.

Apparently, the first contact with Japan was by Portugal, and the Portuguese were the ones who determined which Latin alphabet symbols equate to which Japanese alphabet symbols. This accounts for some of the slightly strange letter and sound combinations, which don't quite match English.
The Japanese have three alphabets. Kanji is the pictograph characters borrowed from China and used for common words. It is seen as a quick way instead of spelling out phonetically, and indicates an exact meaning. Hirigana is the phonetic alphabet used for things that are indigenous to Japan. Katakana is the phonetic alphabet used for things that come from outside Japan. These two are twins, each having something like 46 letters, but different symbols for each. The letters are different from Latin, and the consonants are not alone to be paired independently with the vowels. Instead, they have the group of five vowels that can be used by themselves, and each consonant sound is paired with the five vowels to create five more unique letters. So the choice of sounds and combinations is restricted.
But the Japanese love to import words from outside Japan, so they make a lot of use of the Katakana alphabet, and have developed ways to cheat to get the range of sounds available with the Latin alphabet.

Many words are spelled the same way in Hirigana, but assigned different Kanji symbols so that their meaning when written is specific. When spoken, the meaning has to be determined by context. But the Japanese love word games, and like to make references by choosing the words they use based on the other words that share the same phonetic spelling (double entent).
Isuzu Motors chose is named after the sacred Isuzu river. The word Isuzu also means "50 bells". The phrase is considered lucky, and referred to continually. Isuzu's first independently produced car was a full sized sedan. They named it "Bellel", borrowing the word bell, and adapting it into a name for a car. Their second car was a smaller car, and they wanted to indicate the second car was a smaller version of a Bellel, so they named it "Bellett", just as a piglet is a small pig, therefore a Bellett is a small Bellel.
The Japanese language does not have an L and an R, but have a letter that is roughly directly between both those letters. The Portuguese decided it would be an R sound, and all L sounds would just be converted over to the R sound. So bell becomes "be ru" (ベル). Another cheat built into the language is that the vowel sound on the end of the last letter is dropped when pronounced, so that words can end with a consonant sound instead of a vowel sound.
Pronunciation emphasis is normally placed on the first syllable of a word. In order to move that and place emphasis on a sound farther back in the word, or create a hard sound, the Japanese language doubles up the consonant sound on the front of a letter. This is done by placing a small "tsu" (ッ) in front, used like a tilde to make the rolling r sound in Spanish or the apostrophe in French. So the tiny tsu letter is more punctuation than a letter. (This is done with T, S, Z, and other letters, but the symbol is still a tiny tsu).
So, Bellett becomes "Be Re tTo" or ベレット. The O on the end would be silent, though not often completely silent.

Pronunciation outside Japan? It's an English or Latin origin word, mangled by Japanese, and then exported. A Japanese person will firmly defend "makudonarudo" as the correct pronunciation for McDonnalds, and "sutabakusu" as the correct pronunciation of Starbucks.
Bellett started out as the English word bell that someone applied the diminutive suffix -let to. If it's piglet, then its "bellet".

I didn't just waste an hour typing this out to show off what I know, but because this is valuable information for anyone interested in these cars. This seems to be a popular trivia question that the rest of the world likes to ask people who own or know about these cars.
And if my sense of humor is too strange or misunderstood, remember that I am not attacking people here and have no conflict with anyone other than those threatening violence or vandalizing property.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:15 pm

dave wrote:
For a start, we've been exposed to a rotting GT somewhere in North America, which is sad, but great to just see it at all. It's a pretty late job - 1972-1973ish. Try and find it! It doesn't look too deeply entrenched, unlike some of the others you've mentioned.

I've located the car, here's the info:

"Andrew,

I was able to find the place again. I also called and talked to the old fellow who owns the place. He's reluctant to sell the car, but likely $2000usd and a bottle of Jack Daniels could probably secure it. He spent 15 minutes explaining his plan for a museum that he had been dreaming up for some time, and his annoyance at the car being listed for sale years ago, so I'm not sure if he would end up parting with it or not. When I went to look at the car four years ago, it had a tow bar welded on to the front bumper supports, the bumper itself nowhere to be found. The rocker panels had rusted out completely (but since the frame is aluminum, from my understanding, it should still be sound). It seemed like all the parts were there, but I would be amazed if it had a title. The driveshaft was removed, and I believe it was in the trunk. The guy also has it stored outside with the windows cracked, so the interior and dash are almost cerainly damaged. All in all, it would take a lot of work, but it may be worth the effort, as there are only a handful in the states. I also contacted the local Isuzu dealership, and the Isuzu america headquarters to see if parts could be obtained, but from their responses it looks like the best bet would be to contact an importer based in Japan.

Needless to say, your message rekindled my interest in that car as well. I wasn't looking for a fourth car, but this might convince me to dip into savings. I will certianly keep you informed, since I would be crazy to buy it as I'm trying to restore my '70 240z."

So that's the info on that.. It's apparently somewhere in Colorado.

It's basically the same story for all the Belletts I turn up in North America.. far far away, in pretty tatty shape, and a relatively expensive purchase price considering that you can buy a much better example in Japan for a little more than double (or no where near what it will cost to fix the shabby one even if you do it all yourself).

So I keep looking :)

And apparently you aussies just turn over a rock and find a couple?

This doesn't seem fair!

Cheers,

Andrew

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:47 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
hudson wrote:
The rocker panels had rusted out completely (but since the frame is aluminum, from my understanding, it should still be sound).

I also contacted the local Isuzu dealership, and the Isuzu america headquarters to see if parts could be obtained, but from their responses it looks like the best bet would be to contact an importer based in Japan.

I do not know of any aluminum parts on the vehicle, especially not the frame. If someone with more expertise would comment, please do. But I think you get to chase rust all the way through it.

You won't be able to go into a dealership with a part number for a non-US market car and order a part. They specifically exclude from the system any numbers that aren't on their local product.
They used to have someone in charge of parts importation that would special order parts for non-US market vehicles from Japan (if the parts still existed in Japan). This was many years ago, before two rounds of 3,000+ worker job cuts. I wouldn't know where to start to track through and find out if anyone could or would be willing out at the headquarters.
I have noticed a lot of late 60's and early 70's parts on auction that look brand new and have new labels on them (most recent corporate logo, not previous logos). Usually, old parts even from the 80's show the old labels, are dry rotted, and are covered in dust. I am lead to believe that they are continuing production of some of the replacement parts for the really old vehicles in Japan. Somebody making decisions might have a soft spot for the oldest cars, but definitely not for the later cars.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 am

JT191 wrote:
I do not know of any aluminum parts on the vehicle, especially not the frame. If someone with more expertise would comment, please do. But I think you get to chase rust all the way through it.

There is no aluminum frame, he's badly missinformed on that one. It's a steel unibody car like ~80% of all cars since the late 50s. At any rate you wouldn't want an aluminum frame for many reasons.. first of all it would cause the frame to rust more! (dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion, there's another term I believe)... other than that Aluminum fatigues.. ask delorian owners how happy they are when their aluminum frame breaks on them when they go over train tracks :)

JT191 wrote:
You won't be able to go into a dealership with a part number for a non-US market car and order a part. They specifically exclude from the system any numbers that aren't on their local product.
They used to have someone in charge of parts importation that would special order parts for non-US market vehicles from Japan (if the parts still existed in Japan). This was many years ago, before two rounds of 3,000+ worker job cuts. I wouldn't know where to start to track through and find out if anyone could or would be willing out at the headquarters.
I have noticed a lot of late 60's and early 70's parts on auction that look brand new and have new labels on them (most recent corporate logo, not previous logos). Usually, old parts even from the 80's show the old labels, are dry rotted, and are covered in dust. I am lead to believe that they are continuing production of some of the replacement parts for the really old vehicles in Japan. Somebody making decisions might have a soft spot for the oldest cars, but definitely not for the later cars.

This doesn't surprise me at all. At any rate, buying parts directly from the dealer is a good way to get ripped off big time.

That's great that there are some new parts being made!

I don't know if the cars from the mid 70s to the I don't know whens are ever going to be considered a proper collector car. First of all, there was/are so many things not to like about them, and if you can get past that, the exponential increase in useage of plastic will mean that they will be a lot more difficult and costly to restore in the future as you won't just be fixing rust but you'll be trying to hunt down a plastic front end, rear end and a 200lbs plastic dashboard. OK I'm a little biased.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:48 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Yeah nah it's amazing... about 10 years ago nobody even considered any Jap cars classic, even the ultra-old stuff like Toyota Tiaras and the original Datsun Bluebird (well original Oz-delivered job, which was about 1963 or thereabouts) but these things have begrudgingly been deemed collectible, if only because there are so few left.

But again, it's only in the eye of the beholder. I got rejected from a 'rod and classic show' a couple of weeks ago, plus another classic show a few weeks ago they tried to make me park in the regular car park... but I convinced them to let me in.

But then again, the organisers of All Japan Day get all moist when they hear there's going to be Belletts! So it's horses for courses or whatever the saying is...

More recently here in Australia, we've seen some plastic 80's cars get extremely good prices, but these are specific, rare, specialist models.

Eg: a mint condition 1985 (VK-model) Commodore is probably worth about $4000... perhaps $6000 for a mint V8 model.... but a HDT (Holden Dealer Team) VK Commodore SS Group A homologation special, of which there were 500 built for local Group A racing, have been pulling $100,000+!!!! Even a tired one will probably get $40k, although recent economical uncertaintly has probably changed that.

Same with the later Group A homologation specials (HDT VL Commodore and the HSV VL Commodore, which was designed in the UK's MIRA wind tunnel and featured Australia's first EFI V8)... while the 80's Ford Falcons that are a bit less lucky, but versions like the 1982ish (XE-model) Fairmont ESP 5.8 litre, which is pretty rare now, are changing hands for $15-30k depending on condition.

So I guess in the furture, SOME plastic fantastic cars may increase (or at least hold) value, but run of the mill standard cars (eg non-special edition models), like what the standard Bellett sedan was when it came out, are unlikely to get any special treatment.

I just can't see a 2000-model Mitsubishi Lancer sedan with 30,000k's on it being a collectors item in 2030, where-as a Lancer EVO VII might well be...

That's my 2 cents ($0.02AUD = $0.0127311USD) worth! So it's not really even 2 cents worth. I mean, it's closer to 1.2 cents worth.... or 1.3 if you round it up.

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 am
Profile WWW

Yes that's happening here as well for very specific cars. But that makes sense in that every beer drinking, red meat eating man in the country knows of the car and either wants one, or is at least interested in them a bit. The notoriety and widespread desirability of the car coupled with the low production numbers obviously is what drives the price up. Classic I can drop 100k and be the envy of everyone at the show yadda yadda.

Personally, that's the last thing I want is a rare numbers matching desirable car.. I'd much rather a tastefully improved clone I can beat on and leave wet and not feel bad about it ;)

There certainly hasn't been a linear increase in the generally accepted year cut off for a classic car. It would stand to reason that all things being equal if 20 years ago anything from 1968 and older was a classic, now anything from 1988 and older would be.. but that's certainly not the case. I'd say in the last 10 years, the generally agreed upon year has moved up maybe 4.

But that's probably mostly due to the fact that late 70s and basically up to around 1988 or so almost all cars are terrible in stock form.. not sure how bad it got in Australia, but the states saw cars with 5:1 compression ratios and bumpers 12 feet long :) I'm exaggerating of course, but not by much. :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:42 pm

I didn't really touch on the old Japanese cars in that previous post. I think that most car guys want something with a V8 in it.. it's got the sound, it's big and manly :)

And for quite sometime especially before the internet, here at least, most car guys were anti foreign. Lots of myths (you'll spend $12910 for a simple part, no one will know how to work on it) and general ignorance/indifference.

Now with the internet, there's more information about all cars.

And now with the price of gas / economy, people are considering things without V8s.

Even some hard core hot rod dudes are giving some respect to straight 6s and 4s now in there machines.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next