View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
VALE: Jack Curtis 

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Some years ago some of you will remember a man of very senior years driving from his home in St. Ives, suburb of Sydney, all the way to the Corowa National Meet and return in one day, over 700 klms, in his Bellett GT.

Jack Curtis passed away on Saturday 10th January, aged 90 years!

Jack was a very prominent, popular and well thought of member of ICCA, who has been taking part in the majority of the ICCA Events in Sydney, Mudgee and surrounds in his very original 1967 Bellett GT.
It is with a great deal of sadness we announce the departure of Jack, an ex fighter pilot of WW2 and a very well known man for his knowledge of the Dakota DC3 troop carriers that he took up piloting back home during scenic flights over and around Sydney, flying out of the Bankstown Airport for many years.
Jack will be missed for his friendliness and being ever ready for a chat on any topic.
Jack's celebration of his life will be Friday 16th January.

Bon voyage my dear friend, Rest in Peace.
Dave Maurice.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:04 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Sad news Dave. As you said, Jack was always on for a chat and seemed to like everyone.
I met him for the first time at that Corowa nationals, the first one in 2006. At that time I hadn't seen Sydney club members for a long time, so I was asking if he remembered any of them and he ran through a few names to see if we both knew them. When he got to Gary Carter, I said I was in contact with him. "When was the last time?" he asked.
"A couple of minutes ago - hes in that building there" I said.
He went inside to find him, then explained that he hadn't recognised him as he was looking for a younger man! It had been many years since he talked with him.
I will tell Gary tomorrow, as he doesn't have a computer. I know he will be sad to hear this.

In God's hands,
Matt.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:40 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Thank you Matt, we would like to have a few members turn up on Friday, when we know more details I will post here.
Jack had stayed at my home a couple of times and putting it simply. he fitted in like one of my family, A VERY SPECIAL MAN!!

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm

It is with heavy hearts the BCCV and the Bellett community as a whole honour Jack Curtis.
He was one of the rare guys who owned a Bellett from new, and he was always a pleasure to be around with his infectious smile and unending passion for our cars.

I first met Jack in Corowa for the first Bellett Nats in 2006. While thanking him for coming along, he commented that the Bellett sat on a comfortable 75 - 80 the whole way and never missed a beat, which was fantastic as it hadn't been out of Sydney in over 20 years....
I honestly thought he meant kmh, but no..... Jack was a mph man, so that's why he why he was smiling.

RIP mate, and thank you for the memories.
Brett.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:06 pm

All, our Dear fellow member, Jack CURTIS will be cremated this Friday.

We are invited to attend the Celebration of his life, what a GREAT life he led, this Friday at International College of Management Sydney. St. Patricks Estate, 151 Darley Road, Manly at 1-30 PM.
It was very special and a privilege for all of us to be a small part of Jack's life!

Should anyone wish to come along, please ring me, 0412 600469 prior to advise your intension, there will be at least 4 ICCA members attending.

RIP Jack, we ALL will miss you, travel well dear friend.
Dave Maurice.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:55 am

Yesterday we laid our dear Mate Jack to rest.
At the wake, which was a tremendous, tribute to him, the event was very well done and very much deserved.
At 3-30 PM 2 aircraft flew over twice as a last flight for Jack, then 15 minutes later, one of Jacks beloved aircraft also flew over twice, a Dakota DC3, I am sure he would have been very proud.
Very special arrangements had to be made with CASA, Air Traffic control at Sydney Airport along with a special approval from CASA to allow the DC3 to take part in the fly over, a lot of work for the family and the Officials involved, well done!
Jacks life touched many people in various times of his life, his 1967 Bellett GT received a mention in the Eulogies as one of the loves of his life

About 400 people were at the Wake, including 7 members of ICCA, were there to farewell Jack on the day.
Rest well our dear friend from all involved in the Bellett Community.

Last edited by 1968GT on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:12 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Thanks Dave for being there and representing the club, and sorry I wasn't able to be. No doubt there willbe plenty to discuss about his life next week, he was a real nice fella.
Look forward to talking then,
Cheers, Matt.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]