View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Strengthening the front suspension 

Car(s): 1967 bellett gt, wasp trayback , 2018 d-max 4x4 dual cab LSU, 2016 Focus, 1996 GQ Patrol
The V6 Capri motors would be getting hard to find now too. I had a Capri back in the good old days, and from memory the gearbox is VERY long in those, and would take some modifying to fit into a Bellett.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Car(s): PR91 1967 GT, PR20 1966 1/2 with GT Goodies
Exactly!
Hard to find = unique = awsome
8-)
J

To increase the fun, add a hair dryer

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Car(s): 1967 GT Bellett
The Capri motors heavier than the V8 Windsors

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:23 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Original question:
In all the years I have never heard of a collapsed front end. Its not a Zephyr! Not from rallying or racing or life on country roads. Yep ball joints can fail, if worn completely out (hey B?) The crossmember under the motor may have a weak point where the lower wishbones bolt on. Have seen them crack here.
They are over engineered, so probably just heavier springs and shocks. I doubt that anyone has required much else.
I recall Rolie being fitted with a custom front for racing, but not for weightlifting.

I was thinking you were intending a separate rolling chassis with custom front end. I think this would be needed of old rusty yella.

Cheers, Matt.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Car(s): LS1 Powered EJ Special
Matt,

I am referencing strengthening the stock frontend for the V8 and if any of the Race guys have done this for racing, as I am not allowed to fit an existing chassis to the shell I have to make a chassis to suit the GT with a custom front end and rear end with new floors etc. to meet the ICV requirements, plus there is a lot more involved like intrusion bars in the doors, different door locks etc.. But in saying that I might be able to get away with some engineering on the standard frontend that maybe allowed without going through the ICV process. So hence the question.

Thanks Guy for the all the info.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 am

I race one. Far more modified than others. Highly modified front end, big pound springs, big shocks, modified sway bar and mounts (the simplest mod that gives big benefits), the lot.
It cops it fine, but I ironed out the weak points from the beginning. Not that there are many.

Fri May 08, 2015 2:25 am

Car(s): 1970 Bellett, 1968 Bellett, Triumph Stag, 1940 Traction Avant, T Ford 1938 Pontiac plus the usual modern stuff
Hi Jeff
Sorry for coming in late on this conversation. I recently saw a Datsun 120Y coupe with a V8. The engine was the Daimler 2.5 L V8 as found in the Badge engineered Mark 2 Jags and called a Daimler 250. It was also used in the Daimler Dart (also called the Daimler SP 250). Nicely engineered little motor. If it fits into the engine bay of a Mark 2 Jag and a 120Y, I'm sure it would fit into a Bellett. The only problem is - where to find one now??

YP

Sat May 16, 2015 7:54 am

In my Bellett days, I always wanted to fit one of the Alloy Buick Pencil Head V8's, derived from these were the Traco Oldsmobile, Leyland P76 V8, Rover V8 etc.

The Buick version had basically vertical heads for side clearance, weight and physical dimensions if I recall were favourable.

Sat May 16, 2015 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2