View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Reproduction Parts - Part 1: GT Hubcaps 

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
Hi all,

Just putting this one out there, as I've had to resort to recreating some parts for my Silvia, I couldn't see why I couldn't arrange to have some Bellett parts made as well. I have GT fog lamps coming, but as I've tooled up the retainer clip for the Silvia already (which I've used in this assembly), thought I might have a crack at those illusive GT hubcaps! Below is a picture of the CAD model, that's all I've got to show at the moment, although clip samples are coming and the hubcap tooling has been quoted.

SO, what I'm looking for is a show of hands, no commitment at this stage, but I'd like to know if this is worthwhile proceeding with. If I get 10 people interested, a set of 4 hubcaps will be approx. US$1,000, if I get 20 people interested it will be half that - that's with no profit for me, but I'm not fussed, as long as I don't end up out of pocket. As we know, these hubbies are hard to find and, if you find them are often damaged and can be expensive to restore.

If there's no interest I won't bother with it, so is anyone keen?

Cheers,
Duane

Attachments:
D0153-AS01-0.1_Assy Hubcap.JPG
D0153-AS01-0.1_Assy Hubcap.JPG [ 166.79 KiB | Viewed 30099 times ]
Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:12 am

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
No-one? Did I over-estimate the desire for hubcaps, or are they too expensive? There's been lots of talk about unobtanium and all that, so I thought there would be more interest at this point.

US$500-600 is realistically as cheap as these would ever get, so if I can't get 20 tentatives I'll drop it and move on to 'Part 2'. I've got fog lamps on the workbench, GT horn button planned too, anything else people may want?

Gives me feedback peoples.

Cheerio,
Duane

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hi Duane.
Thanks for investigating this, especially as you don't have your car anymore. Its only a day, so some will not have read rhis, or will be considering it. I'd like a set of course, but given the exchange rate we would be looking at 8 to 900 aus. I don't have that at my disposal unfortunately.
Some are just as happy to have mags for the rim width too. Time will tell.
Good luck with the other bits. I don't have fog lights either!
Cheers, Matt.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
Bit out of my price range to, Duane.
But would love early series Isuzu bonnet badge.
Hope they may be around the $100 landed here.
Love your design work

Cheers

OZ

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback - lots of people have read, but hadn't got much back from anyone. I had so many comments about the hubcaps on my car (which were actually pretty ratty, but looked fine from a distance) that I thought they'd be a good part to focus on to help people get their cars back to looking their original best (if that's your thing). Given I'd tooled up the clip already I couldn't see the harm in throwing a few hours at it and putting the question out there. There's far too much focus on the value of parts these days, it should be all about getting our cars looking great and using them IMO! Originals are originals, repros are expendable to some extent, get 'em while you can and put the originals in safe storage.

Cost wise, basically I've been working pretty hard to keep the price of tooling below US$10k, which is extremely cheap (US$30k-US$40k in USA or here), and my supplier is happy to do small 'prototype' runs (anything less than a few thousand parts), which is almost unheard of. However, to ammortise the tooling cost I'd need 20 orders (80 hubcaps). Of course, the more I get up front, the cheaper the cost, but I simply couldn't see there being the demand...as this post has proven. Additional costs include shipping, customs and duties, GST (for big order) and local postage. US$500-US$600 is in line with restoration costs these days, but finding the hubcaps to even restore is the hard part, as we know. That said, if people can't afford to pay that much for the repros then fair enough.

So basically, if there's 100 out there who want hubcaps we can get it down to US$100/set...spread the word! ;)

Will be submitting the fog lamps for quotation some time in the next few weeks.

Oz, certainly happy to model the badge up and get quotes mate, and could I borrow your GT horn centre while I'm up there? Who wouldn't like a horn centre without those annoying cracks? However, with the badge, is there the volume...who else would like one :?: :?: :?:

Cheers,
Duane

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
always happy to loan out anything you may need for doing replica's Duane.
just let me know what your needing

i would have thought there would be 15-20 people in for early series bonnet badge but you never know

and i also did think that bellett.net has been quiet, know i have been pretty busy over the last few months

cheers

OZ

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 am

Thanks Oz,

I have posted on Facebook forums too with little response - great idea but no interest. Maybe I've described what I'm doing clearly too? Basically, this is a group purchase, only I'm fronting the money and will keep the tooling once everyone has received their parts. The more in, the cheaper the parts will be.

Lets have a look at that badge, there won't be any tooling involved so could be had at the right price. E.G: I have Mazda R360 interior lights coming early next week, cast acrylic (same as production material) made from silicone tooling, I have ordered 15 lenses at US$11ea. So, the process is pretty cheap (if the Aussie Dollar wasn't dropping like a rock), just requires someone to take the time to scan, CAD, produce the production drawings and project manage.

Anything else required people? Let me know!

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:56 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hey Duane.
If lenses can be produced at that sort of price, I reckon there would be plenty of interest. Particularly for me are the teardrop brake lenses and orange blinker lenses. These are hard to find. Early front park/blinker lenses as well, the flat ones with 2 screws.
And all florian lenses, apart from reversing lights, I have only 1 set of spare taillights which are only just usable. Florians are scarce though, so not many customers I guess. I know of a few strip taillight GTs running sedan lenses. There would be a market for some GT ones I reckon.
The kids school now has a 3D printer and I was thinking to try to get them to produce lenses. Hmmm.

Thanks, Matt.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Certainly can do Matt. I've attached a scan of a Silvia replacement lens I'm working on right now - when finished the CAD from this scan will make the lens. These days they have excellent cast acrylics that mimic the properties of injection moulded plastics very well, so if you do your homework you can select the right material to make a part just as good as, or better, than the original. I'm currently testing several materials in the UV tester at work to see how they hold up under extreme UV testing.

I'll let you know what cost the Silvia lights come in at. GT strip lenses would be no problems at all and prices should be comparable with the Silvia.

The guys up in China sent me some pics tonight, so I've attached the Mazda R360 lenses; original (L), off-tool cast part (M) and final part with light sandblast to replicate the light dissipating rough surface (R). L & R would be pretty hard to tell apart had the plastic not aged on the original and gone a bit yellow. I reckon the little 'snail' front indicators that were on my GT would be perfect for this method - might cost maybe US$20ea, but would look all glossy and amber just like the real thing, with excellent UV stability and impact strength, not fragile like resin.

So, yeah, lets make some stuff and get quotes! :mrgreen:

Attachments:
new vacuum casting sample+some polish on the angle.jpg
new vacuum casting sample+some polish on the angle.jpg [ 286.64 KiB | Viewed 29929 times ]
Lens.jpg
Lens.jpg [ 176.71 KiB | Viewed 29929 times ]

Last edited by degruch on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
mate you are a genius ...this is great for all the guys in need of any type of lenses well done the marque stays alive ....cheers davo

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 pm

That's what I thought too Davo (well, not the genius bit)...as long as the CAD data exists the parts can be replicated at any stage. I produce drawings here with all the material specs and dimensions to ensure they'll stay correct through successive batches.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Duane,
What about the late model GT tail light lenses (GTR type)? Almost impossible to buy, some people do have them, however are keeping for themselves and rightly so, it would be great if the single lenses could be replicated and would be available.
I for one would be looking at a minimum white reversing lenses, 2 off, maybe more!
Dave M.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:17 am

Heya Dave,

I can model and quote anything from body panels to dashboards, engine blocks to knobs, all I need is either:

(a) Scanned data (there are many scanning services around the major cities - in Adelaide it's free at the city library!)

or

(b) The part to scan and take dimensions from

For something like a lens there's no need to take it apart, it could be returned pretty quickly. So far I've done a bootlid, an air filter assembly, hubcaps, an interior light lens and some badges, so I'm not expert enough to cast an eye over an image yet to give you an indicative cost. However, yes, it can be done and I've no doubt at an affordable cost.

Cheers,
Duane

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 am

Car(s): 1967 bellett gt, wasp trayback , 2018 d-max 4x4 dual cab LSU, 2016 Focus, 1996 GQ Patrol
Hi Duane,
You are one very talented man by the looks of it. Great work.
As for the hubcaps, although a great piece of work, I doubt that I will ever have a GT that original to need them. The light lenses have me more interested though. The Front indicator lenses for both early sedan ( or in my case Wasp ), and also the earlier GT's ( clear bee hive style ) would be a definite for me, and also the interior cabin light.
Another component that I would jump at, as I am sure many others would, is ball joints. I have not been able to source new ball joints anywhere, and as that was the demise of my first GT, I would be very keen to replace them.
if you want to contact me during business hours, my number is 02 4393 2833.
Regards,
Warren

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:47 pm

hi warren I think I have a spare interior light I will have a look today ...not trying to push in just may save you time ..cheers davo if I find it its yours cheers davo 0451 374003

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Warren,

Thanks mate, it's getting access to the equipment (scanner and software) and finding a good supplier that is the tricky part, but appreciate your endorsement! :D Tooling up the Silvia parts was an absolute necessity for me, luckily there's enough people restoring their Silvia's at the moment to make it all worthwhile...now I'm away!

I'll put the beehive indicator lenses on the definite list, it won't be a major investment and I know they've come up in conversation on the forum numerous times...looks like a visit to Oz's coming up! :lol: Interior lenses are a piece of cake, but looks like Davo's got your back there.

As for structural parts like ball joints, that's a whole other game. I can certainly look into them, but there'd be a lot more consideration required in regard to appropriate construction techniques and materials, and then testing. I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone asked me about serious parts though.

Cheers,
Duane

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:15 am

hi mate what about the front guard blinkers another rarity ??? we have the housings but the orange plastic blinker part ...anyone .after them ???

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:24 am

The plastic seems to last okay, but usually turn clear with old age, like the ones on my old GT. Amber colour pigment goes 'off' really easy when exposed to UV, a blast of lens paint could work, but otherwise it's a pretty easy job to CAD them up.

Silvia side indicator lenses are on the workbench too, so Bellett ones are a possibility if people are keen.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:34 am

GT front indicators are the same as some Morris part I believe......

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 am

PR91 wrote:
GT front indicators are the same as some Morris part I believe......

Similar to Lucas L734?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Lucas-L734-Pair- ... 337dbba10d

...or same?

Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next