View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Club Permit scheme, Vic. 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Most of us, especially in Vic, know of the huge increase in cars now on the Permit scheme. And we have all heard of rorts.

From 8500 cars in 2010 to over 65,000 now!

Yesterday's Herald-Sun newspaper, front page ""Hoons swindle car rego costs".

More inside the paper and also a piece by the papers Editor...along the lines 'something must be done to fix this"

Worth a read........

glenn

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:39 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
NSW is Trialling a similar system for 2 years from this October, I sincerely hope it does not cop the same abuse in NSW.
The risk being is either massive increases in cost for us, the honest ones, or a more doubtful income would be for the system to be cancelled as much as that would create a massive uproar. :evil:

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Herald Sun story..... And the Editor of said publication to boot.....
Nuf said.
Yes, there's problems, and yes, there's been loopholes that some have used and abused, but VicRoads has it more than in hand, they know what is what and who is who, and when you also have the real info that was conveniently left out of that sensationalised media story that is just only there for another front page to sell, then you know that 99% of CPS users are doing the right thing and have nothing to fear.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:43 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
PR91 wrote:
Herald Sun story..... And the Editor of said publication to boot.....
Nuf said.
Yes, there's problems, and yes, there's been loopholes that some have used and abused, but VicRoads has it more than in hand, they know what is what and who is who, and when you also have the real info that was conveniently left out of that sensationalised media story that is just only there for another front page to sell, then you know that 99% of CPS users are doing the right thing and have nothing to fear.

Yes probably true, 99% do the right thing but like all things, it only takes a few to do the wrong thing to make it tougher on the others.

In my small world I know a few people who have their old cars on club permit, only to use as a second car....

Vicroads, seems to me at least, to be moving very slowly to do anything about the loopholes.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:26 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
It seems to me that whatever system of registration is used, there will always be those who don't comply. Some people drive unregistered cars without licences, sometimes with a gutfull of booze. Its sad, but those that do the right thing should not be penalised.
I'm happy that NSW is doing the trial. Good thing is they are introducing a Modified cars scheme in phase 2 next year. This will hopefully satisfy the rodders and stop them going for historic rego.
Today I opted into the scheme and gained 2 logbooks.I look forward to using my old cars more, to keep them trip ready. I like driving them, cause they are good to drive, and I can fix them when they go wrong, as distinct from the moderns with their technotrickery.
I hope the trial is a success, and will be doing my bit to stay between the guidelines.
Cheers, Matt.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Farmer wrote:
It seems to me that whatever system of registration is used, there will always be those who don't comply. Some people drive unregistered cars without licences, sometimes with a gutfull of booze. Its sad, but those that do the right thing should not be penalised.
I'm happy that NSW is doing the trial. Good thing is they are introducing a Modified cars scheme in phase 2 next year. This will hopefully satisfy the rodders and stop them going for historic rego.
Today I opted into the scheme and gained 2 logbooks.I look forward to using my old cars more, to keep them trip ready. I like driving them, cause they are good to drive, and I can fix them when they go wrong, as distinct from the moderns with their technotrickery.
I hope the trial is a success, and will be doing my bit to stay between the guidelines.
Cheers, Matt.

It's interesting though why NSW needs a 'trial'..... when SA and Vic have already done it.....Or does NSW want a quick way to back out if they have problems like in Vic. I think though that Vicroads did not think through what 'could' happen in any new system and design a system to reduce problems as much as possible. From what i hear, many of the problems have arisen from new 'Clubs' that have sprung up up to 'cater' for those who previously had no interest in a club.

Yes its sad that some people will always exploit any system, reg, welfare, you name it.....

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Across our group I am confident our Members will do the tight thing. :D

What I have discussed with a number of people, is that with the more use of the cars, the more likelihood of accidents, not only will the system become more expensive for our Members, once Insurance companies get hold of the information, Insurance premiums will also increase, long term, possibly less cars on the road. :x (Dave Carey comment?)

I enjoy our cars also, seeing them on the road gives me a real buzz, I am hoping that all goes well and my concerns for costs for our Members are ill founded. :)
It is up Members and Committee, should ANYONE see or hear of a Member doing "the wrong thing", it is up to them to then report the issue to whom they wish, Club Committee or the authorities, your choice.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 pm

is actually having the opposite effect Dave.
bringing more cars out means they are used more, which keeps overall costs for everyone down due to quantity.

problem in Vic was that the new scheme came in as a hash of the old and new. they should have dumped the old ideas completely and started again, but as they kept the "club inspection only" idea and no RWC, it was rorted.... that's why the new rules are in place, and is what they wanted from day 1 but couldn't implement in time.
is typical government rulings. takes stupid amounts of time, and CPS stuff is not even a blip on a political radar, so it gets pushed down. change of government pushes it even further.

"pop up clubs" is the internal (and now external) term Glenn. they are the ones who are targeted as its obvious why they now exist.
we're more than safe. Wal has had discussions with people at the coal face (let's just say it's very handy to know people), and as we've always done the right thing and been on the system for over 20 years, we're cool.

honestly, I dob in people who are only using the system to be tight asses like those you mention. people I know or not makes no difference.
they are not in it for the right reasons, so they should not have access to it in my book.
if people disagree, fine, but we've worked too hard to too long, both as a club itself and as a small wheel in a much bigger system to have it screwed over by late comers who only see the rort, not the classic car scene.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:06 am

Car(s): see user name
Good on you BW . I'm too chicken to dob people in (it's happened to me ! ) I had a nice Mini on cps the other day - probably OK when inspected - it now has a Toyota Starlet turbo motor in it . When I brought up the subject , he got a little upset !! . If we lose this scheme , I will go to war on these guys .

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:52 am
Profile WWW

But if we lose the scheme because of people like that, it's too late to "go to war" because we'll never get it back.
That's why I contact VicRoads now. I don't care if people think I'm being harsh or think that I have no right too, because honestly, if we don't stand up now and get rid of those who abuse the system, those of us who do the right thing will be screwed over and those who caused it will just move on and not care.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 am

PR91 wrote:
is actually having the opposite effect Dave.
bringing more cars out means they are used more, which keeps overall costs for everyone down due to quantity.

problem in Vic was that the new scheme came in as a hash of the old and new. they should have dumped the old ideas completely and started again, but as they kept the "club inspection only" idea and no RWC, it was rorted.... that's why the new rules are in place, and is what they wanted from day 1 but couldn't implement in time.
is typical government rulings. takes stupid amounts of time, and CPS stuff is not even a blip on a political radar, so it gets pushed down. change of government pushes it even further.

"pop up clubs" is the internal (and now external) term Glenn. they are the ones who are targeted as its obvious why they now exist.
we're more than safe. Wal has had discussions with people at the coal face (let's just say it's very handy to know people), and as we've always done the right thing and been on the system for over 20 years, we're cool.

honestly, I dob in people who are only using the system to be tight asses like those you mention. people I know or not makes no difference.
they are not in it for the right reasons, so they should not have access to it in my book.
if people disagree, fine, but we've worked too hard to too long, both as a club itself and as a small wheel in a much bigger system to have it screwed over by late comers who only see the rort, not the classic car scene.

I don't the answer to this and I am guessing neither do Vicroads...... one way which might 'help' is no cps unless the club has been running for a few years. Of course nobody would join a club that didn't qualify, they would have to join an existing club. Who value the CPS scheme and will be carefull hopefully

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 am
Profile WWW

GOOD UPON YOU BRETT AND CRAIG.
I think Craig however, you should have rejected that car as it would be outside the regulations I would think, I know it would be in NSW!

In saying that Guys I think the horse has already bolted! Should I see ANYONE ABUSING the system, I also will be going to the RMS.

The current price of our scheme is remaining the same during the trial, in saying that should the trial be accepted, nobody can tell me the price won't increase, the NSW RMS won't hand out Log Books without a charge!!!!
ICCA is a member of The Council of Motor Clubs in NSW, (CMC), the CMC was a member of the RMS consulting committee and was against the change, however it has gone ahead.

Anyway Guys we have to run with it now, so lets see how it goes and keep our fingers crossed not too much changes???
In closing yes it has advantages, in that we can use our cars more often and responsibility for cars usage on the NSW trial scheme, moves from the Authorised Club to the car owner to complete the Log carefully, fully and correctly.
Keep it right Gents for your own sake!

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Just as a reference Dave, when we went to logbooks, the price stayed the same.
Has gone up slightly this year (only a couple of dollars), but is still only $73 for 45 day permit.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]