View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
IOM Japan 2009 

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
IOM Japan 2009 on youtube, looks like it was a good turnup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTerNbb33_c

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Wow their car shows are just totally different to ours.

Plus they like Shuttles. Hell, I like Shuttles (or what were they... Isuzu Fargos? They totally ripped off Dodge with that name!), but I ain't about to polish one up and cruise it around! Or am I.... hmmmm.

Wanted: One Shuttle in good order (not really)

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 am
Profile WWW

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
Isuzudas did several versions of that video. I'm not sure if he is finished, or just taking a break.

This one seems to be the first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYTF7toXBQ

Then he added more still images:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JS1l-kiGU

The most recent version above moves some things around and adds another minute.

He's in the Aska club, but he covered everything pretty well.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:37 pm

I better post these before I forget:

This one is from one of the Team Club Sports members. They are more Nissan Pulsar fans but they overlap into the Isuzu club. They do some events together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1gybHKCA4

This one is of one of the buses and riding the bus around the area:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTeiF3IXEo

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Wow guys, Isu heaven !! Looks like these guy's have the're own spiritual chant. I've been converted. Winding back the clock rocks, and it just keeps on getting better. Interesting logo on the later GT's. It suggest the literal translation of the original hiragana emblem to say "elephants arse". Great to see the 117 coup' in it's evo from the previuos.... and that line up of sixties is SICKASS !! Brute Bus tour (I can see you carting us all around for a wild spin in that one Dave :lol: ) Homeland country forests are cool, and the roads were just designed for an Isuzu fang.

Much enjoyed,

B. 8-)

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

GTtoo wrote:
Looks like these guy's have the're own spiritual chant.

Interesting logo on the later GT's. It suggest the literal translation of the original hiragana emblem to say "elephants arse".

They play "rock-paper-scissors" for prizes, instead of having a drawing. Much more colorful their way.

Which video and what minute point is the emblem? That sounds interesting.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:04 pm

The emblem occurs at 2 mins and 53 seconds mark of the first post pearcesnr put up. Its on the white 117 coupe as I recall. Looks like an elephant looking over it's shoulder with it's trunk slung over it's head showing us it's backside. I'm not to sure what the other thing riding it is. Must check it out on the home pc as the pic is more hifi.

Also great examples of "piazza"

B.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:24 am

GTtoo wrote:
The emblem occurs at 2 mins and 53 seconds mark of the first post pearcesnr put up. Its on the white 117 coupe as I recall. Looks like an elephant looking over it's shoulder with it's trunk slung over it's head showing us it's backside. I'm not to sure what the other thing riding it is.

The animal on the 117 grille? Usually called a lion, but I thought I read somewhere that it was actually a dog (some kind of Chinese style dog). Isn't it looking the direction it is walking, to the left? And a bunch of curly hair flowing behind? The artist was not catering to a western eye with that sculpture, everyone seems to go cross eyed trying to figure out what it is.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 am

Thanks for shinning some light on that one JT191. The question is what, if any significance does this "cheeky" emblem have to Isuzu.

B.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 am

I found a reference to this while digging for other information.

It is apparently called a Foo Lion. It is an artistic evolution of the Chinese lion statue and was merged with some characteristics of a Chinese dog statue. They appear in pairs in temples. The distinction between a male and female is that the female has the mouth close to keep in the good, and the male has the mouth open to scare away the bad. So the pair is a Yin and Yang balance. Another distinction is said to be that the male is shown playing with a ball while the female is shown playing with a cub.

The long name works out to Foo Lion Guardian Dog. Another name may be Shishi. There are other references calling it a Koma-Inu, which is a variation of a Fu-Dog. The Shisa Lion of Okinawa is also one of these.

Apparently the symbol of the lion was brought to China with Buddhism, and because the animal was not native to China, they modeled the sculptures on a Chow dog. The Chinese name for a Chow dog translates as "puffy lion dog".

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:18 am

One can only begin to appreciate the cultural references in Isuzu land. This description of a semi mythical beast is enlightening. Thanks JT.

Cheers,

B 8-)

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Car(s): 1980 117 Coupe Giugario Edition, 1993 Subaru SVX, 1997 Honda Legend, 1998 Mazda Roadster, 2001 Toyota Will VS
GTtoo wrote:
Thanks for shinning some light on that one JT191. The question is what, if any significance does this "cheeky" emblem have to Isuzu.

B.

The emblem is based on the Japanese (Okinawa) shisa or lion-dog.

There is always a pair of these found on rooftops, doorways or gates facing away from the building that they are protecting. The one on the right usually has its mouth open because it’s growling and showing anger, this represents the male. The left one has its mouth closed, calm and waiting, gentle anger; this represents the female.

The story goes that Isuzu executives took some Japanese souvenirs to Giugiaro as a thank you gift. Included was a pair of carved shisa ornaments. Giugiaro was fascinated by the shisa and created a stylised version as the emblem for the 117 Coupe.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 am

If this story has any truth, 117, it is a great cross cultural reference !!

btw, Okinawa is also a move (stance) of power and strength in a japanese marial arts form I was once involved in.

B.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Why does it not surprise me that a flat top-wielding, Bellett GT-driving, forest ranging, concert cellist was also involved in a martial art?

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 pm
Profile WWW

Ahaa !! An interesting part of my history. The art form was loaded with Japanese terminology, and exsposed some cultural ideology, albeit slightly bastardized by "westernisation". Will fill you in on it, one day

B.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]