View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Bellett FIA Homologation Paper numbers. 

For those interested, after searching and searching, I think I located all the relivant FIA paper numbers for Bellett's that were produced.
For those that dont know, the FIA is the world wide controlling body for motorsport, and if a car company wants to race it's product/s, then it has to present a complete car to the FIA for inspection before it can race. This inspection includes a full documetation of what the car actually is, and it's full specs (listed after the car is completely stripped, each part being measured, weighed, photographed, and passed).
Adding to this, when a company made multiple changes to a car's spec, they then had to re-homologate it, meaning a re-inspection. This is why some models are listed multiple times.
These papers can be invaluable for listing and showing what the cars were like when new.

Copies of these papers are available from the FIA (based in Paris, I'm told) thru local motorsport bodies (CAMS in Oz), but they definately are not cheap.
When a mate was rallying a Datsun years and years ago, the papers for his car cost him in the hundreds for 1 set!! So, getting a complete Bellett set will be a very costly exercise, but I thought it's still an interesting list to have.

These numbers below breakdown as follows:
FIA paper number - Isuzu model code for car inspected - date of inspection.

169 – PR90 – 12/4/64 (These papers I have seen, and show the very 1st GT built, being body PR90-4200001, engine G160-300001. This was the 1st of the 8 propotype GT's built, and has a very different look to a normal PR90, with a sedan styled front, the sedan's teardrop tailights and a sedan dash with a weird-looking console section that overlaps the centre of the dash.)
192 – PR90 – 1/4/65
1229 – “Bellett Special” – 5/9/63 (I have no idea what was so "Special" about it.........)
1251 – PR20 – 5/9/63
1317 – PR20 – 1/7/64
1417 – PR90 – 1/2/66
1427 – PR20S – 1/5/66 (I think the "S" is for the the Bellett Sport)
1474 – PR91 – 1/4/67
1475 – PR20S – 1/4/67 (again, Sport)
1593 – PR50 – 1/4/70
1594 – PR91 – 1/4/70
1595 – PR50 – 1/4/70
1604 – PR91W – 1/7/70 (the ultimate....... Bellett GT-R)
5149 – PR20 – 1/4/67.

enjoy!!

Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:27 am

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Well done Bret
Some people will find this info usefull , Ifor one find it will fill in some gaps in papers I have ,
whils't others will want to dispute & argue about the validity of such info but the info is very good & a job well done , hope to get a copy of this info

again WELL DONE
Cheers Ken

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
A note on the 8 prototype G.T.'s - Interesting to note they were teardrop ones. My nephew remembers having a ride in a mate's G.T., and he was sure it was a teardrop. We thought he might be mistaken, but possibly not! Anyone know if any of the 8 came here? Further, he offered to swap Zac for his Honda Oddysey (buggy, not bus). His dad said no, 'cause he was too young!!
Dobbed-in, Broth!!
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am

i'd be inclined to say a "no" to us getting any of them, farmer. i would think they would have been guarded very closely in japan, as they weren't what isuzu ended up doing with the GT, so isuzu wouldn't have wanted them in the public's hands. i think i have read somewhere that there are none left nowadays too, as isuzu scrapped them early on for the above reasons, but i'll stand corrected if i have mis-read this. i guess you can only remember so much after a while!!
these 8 cars were built around the end of '63-start of '64, and were a very different spec in alot of ways to the GT that was released, not only in the tailights. as mentioned above, they also had (among other things), an early sedan front with the low bumper and 4 headlights and a very different dash and gauge layout. as the GT the public saw didn't appear until august '64, and as the papers for this GT were done in april, that then explains why they re-homologated the PR90 in '65. i'll try and get some pics up of the prototype so you can see just how different it was.
from the aussie point of view, we didn't see the GT here until august '66, and the cars we got were actually the 'updated' version of the PR90, with extra chrome/stainless bits and pieces, different hubcaps, etc. i would doubt isuzu would have held them that long to be honest, let alone sent them here, especially after they had an earlier version PR90 already that we never got, let alone the updated one that was exported.
i do know of a couple of cars that have come here via new guinea, but they have been just "ordinary" GT's and sedan's, as even tho the new guinea market got some things we didn't (like the GT-R, i'm told........................... go figure new guinea getting them and not aust.!!), there was just as little chance of a prototype ending up there as here.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Car(s): holden gemini zz/z isuzu pf50 gemini isuzu pf60 race car built by cdt
new guinea seemed to jdm products my pf50 sedan came from there,and it's alot different from the aussie ones.
small markets do get oddities even today,i've recently bought a Suzuki swift as a daily and joined a uk based forum,one of the guys on the forum lives in malta(iirc) and he has a japanese market car delivered from new :shock: ,even tthough they make them in europe :o

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
PR91 wrote:

?

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:35 pm

JT191 wrote:
PR91 wrote:

?

??
:?

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:21 pm

PR91 wrote:
JT191 wrote:
PR91 wrote:

?

??
:?

What the heck, let's cut to the end of it and skip all the garbage and name calling between.

The previously stated position:
Because the FIA papers have the model number as "PR91W" before the serial number, then, therefore, the vehicle identification number printed on the firewall of the automobile, must be "PR91W-XXXXXXX".

So, if the FIA papers have the model number for the Sport model sedans as "PR20S", then the vehicle identification number printed on the firewall of these vehicles must be "PR20S-XXXXXXX".

If the number printed on the firewall of the Sport sedans does not have a S, then the position that the GT-R has a W is significantly weakened, and the position that the letter after the four digit model designation was added to the paperwork and not printed on the vehicle firewall is strengthened.

So, were there any Sport sedans sold in Australia or in the possession of any of the people who frequent this message board? Would these people care to tell us what the number printed on the firewall of their vehicle is?

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi to all that are confused with the Isuzu model varients just to put you at ease JTso as you can sleep tonight instead of thinking of the problem of weather the sport sedan had an "S" on the fire wall or not YES IT DID MODEL NO. WAS PR20SXXXXXXXXX AS WIFE & SELF HAD A 4 DOOR SPORT SEDAN, fitted with a black vinyl roof 1600 gt motor twin carbs S.U. typefactory alloy wheels stainless door surrounds full gt style instruments & the list of extras goes on the vehicle wasin our posession for several years before on selling because of financial reasons.
This vehicle was a N.Guinea. importto Australia & we were lucky enough to be second owner.
But to put the body number prefix to rest once& for all as far as sedan goes the vehicle was REGISTERED AS A P.R.20S XXXXX-XXXX ANDTHAT WAS PRINTED ON THE REG .PAPERS BY THE QLD GOVERNMENT SO ONE WOULD THINK THAT IT MIGHT BE CORRECT.

HAVE A NICE DAY
cheers Ken

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 am

JT191 wrote:
What the heck, let's cut to the end of it and skip all the garbage and name calling between.

:x :x :x
WHAT??
since when has there been ANY of this from me, and i STRONGLY resent being accused of doing so!! :x :x :x
making a post like you did only adds more confusion, not dispells it. that's why i posted a "??" as i didn't know what you were refering to, followed by a " :? " as i was confused by your post as well...

As for the rest…. I’m waiting for that bald guy to jump out from around a corner and say “smile, you’re on candid camera”, because this must be a joke.
All I have done is to copy all the Bellett stuff as it was written on the FIA papers’ website, and nothing more.
I wrote that I think the “S” is for the Sport, as this seems like the most logical explanation, but as I have no evidence of such, it’s only a speculation. Therefore, “S” for Sport is a POSSIBILITY, and from what I have written, it’s nothing more.
As for claims of there being, or not being, an “S” stamped into chassis numbers because of the same stories with the “W” on GT-R… honestly, that’s a very long bow to pull and as to how this subject went from an “S” on the FIA paperwork website that I thought could POSSIBILY mean Sport to being claims of what is or isn’t stamped into a chassis number within 1 post is beyond my feeble mind…

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:31 am

P.R.90 wrote:
PR20SXXXXXXXXX AS WIFE & SELF HAD A 4 DOOR SPORT SEDAN

vehicle was REGISTERED AS A P.R.20S XXXXX-XXXX ANDTHAT WAS PRINTED ON THE REG .PAPERS

Are photos of the firewall forthcoming or not?

Again, the question is not what is written on the paperwork, but what is printed on the car itself.

I seem to remember another thread that one of your fellow Australians had attempted to re register a car that had been allowed to expire, and the Australian government had lost all record that the vehicle had been previously registered, and accused the gentleman of trying to cheat on registering a newly imported car that had not been converted over to comply with the motor vehicle rules. This seems pretty good evidence to universal bureaucratic incompetence also including Australia.
My uncle recently found the VIN number of his BMW printed incorrectly on his vehicle title, and he said the clerk at the license office didn't bat an eye while opening the computer file and changing the number based solely upon his inquiry about the matter at the license office counter. There was no verification of the vehicle by the clerk, the police, etc. in correcting the error, and apparently none when the vehicle was originally licensed. Simply fill out the state form, pass it to the clerk at the counter (along with the safety inspection and proof of insurance), and pay the registration fee.

We need to be able to look at the car and tell if it is or is not a GTR. Paperwork can have mistakes, or be easily faked. What's printed on the firewall takes a bit more effort to fake.

And in going over the above discussion of the homologation papers, it seems to be stated there is not a set of paperwork to go with each and every car in the production run, but only one example of each car submitted for compliance. It certainly makes for a weaker argument if there were not one hundred sets of paperwork, or whatever the minimum number of vehicles needed to fulfill the requirement for competition in the racing class.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

JT
in australia I think fairly universal throughout ,but can only speak for queensland if a vehicle is not registered then it has to get a certificate of road worthyness & safety certificate .
the checking of said vehicle is done by a qualified testing officer ( non government ) who fills out relevent paperwork then the vehicle is taken to the transport department to be checked by the official transport checking officer , both of the above officers check and verify the body & engine numbers with what is on the vehicle , any differences the vehicle will not be registered.
Obviously wherever you come from this is not the case ( as per BMW ) A for what was stamped on the firewall I know what was there ,I also know what was on the registration papers & I also know what the vehicle was & know where the vehicle was purchased from brand new and what it was first registered as . As for proof as to what the vehicle was I don't need proof Iowned the vehicle for several years & know what it was . If you need proof of what is stamped on the firewall of a vehicle then I suggest you go & purchase said vehicle that you are in doubt about & then mabee you might believe your own eyes although I very much doubt it or you would probably find somehting else to bitch about instead of trying to help other people , which is what this forum is about eg . gathering of info by like minded people to enjoy the vehicles that we own or have owned & there by being able to assist others with that info.
have a nice day

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:55 am

Pray tell jt what has an incorrect VIN no. on a BMW got to do with a GT type R do you think every one is stupid by trying to drag up old s**t or what. Also are you accusing me of being a lair about the number stamped on the firewall of my PR20S sport sedan if you are I suggest you proceed with caution. When you have the above mentioned vehicle with incorrect VIN number in your possession as per BMW,even though Bellett's dont have VIN no's but body no's , then you can criticise. it seems you don't own a Bellett but nobody would know because you can't be bothered giving fourth any info about yourself . Just criticism about other people's info put forward even though these people have had hard evidence about the subject they are talking about.Maybee you are a very knowledgeable person or maybee you are not but you should not accuse people of some things that you have not seen in person as other people have that only get's you in the S**T
cheers

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:07 am

P.R.90 wrote:
A(s) for what was stamped on the firewall I know what was there ,I also know what was on the registration papers & I also know what the vehicle was & know where the vehicle was purchased from brand new and what it was first registered as . As for proof as to what the vehicle was I don't need proof I( )owned the vehicle for several years & know what it was .

I own seven vehicles. One of those I have owned for 23 years. I am regularly asked by the parts clerk to provide the VIN number for any parts ordered. I don't have any of them memorized. Every single time I have to go back to the vehicle and read the number. Granted, the majority are 17 digits long, but I find it extremely unlikely that anyone who owns a car has the VIN number memorized, and more unlikely that someone has the VIN number memorized for a car they previously owned for several years, several or many years ago.

P.R.90 wrote:
what has an incorrect VIN no. on a BMW got to do with a GT type R

This illustrates that the vehicle paperwork does not always match what is printed on the vehicle. People filling out paperwork, licensed people, government officials, police officers, make mistakes when filling out paperwork.
These are 1960's and 70's era cars, low volume imports even for Australia, many were private imports. If they were imported in quantities of 100,000 units per year with computerized records, a mistake would be less likely. But it's an odd car imported in an age of hand filled forms, type writers, and mimeographed copies. Mistakes are more likely.
And the homologation papers are a single document, hand filled out for a single example vehicle, with the same higher likelihood of mistakes.

P.R.90 wrote:
Bellett's don(')t have VIN no's but body no's

Vehicle Identification Number: The American English term for the number printed in the firewall of an automobile which includes serial number information, and in more modern vehicles, includes information about the maker, country of origin, engine size, and safety equipment. In Australia, it's a Chassis Number. In America, it's a VIN, and even the older, shorter numbers printed on the firewall of vehicles not intended for use or sale in the US are called VINs.

I've managed to learn what winkers, wings, wing repeaters, wing mirrors, bonnets, boots, and rego have to do with automobiles and I don't make other people's home country names for these things a point of criticism. Maybe it is too much to ask that in return from everyone, but no one else has hinted at having trouble with this issue.

P.R.90 wrote:
do you think every one is stupid by trying to drag up old s**t or what.

P.R.90 wrote:
Some people will find this info usefull , I( )for one find it will fill in some gaps in papers I have ,
whils't others will want to dispute & argue about the validity of such info

You brought it up and made it an issue. If it's a problem now that someone else picked up the gauntlet that you threw down, then maybe think twice about throwing down gauntlets.

Our states have mottoes. I have no idea if Australia's states and territories have the same. One state's motto is "The Show Me State", indicating a natural skepticism of the people who don't believe things just because someone tells them, they ask to see the proof. It's a fair and accepted expectation. Especially when someone seems far more interested in being right, and far less interested in finding proof of what they want to be right about.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]