View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Local Knowledge 

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hello friends,
I'm just looking for a bit of a travel advisory. Tracy, the kids & I are planning a 4 week trip in "Doris" ('66 auto) around the nationals. We will be coming over (from our home, near Canberra) via Cobar & Broken Hill to Adelaide, hanging around for a few days after the Nats, then heading home via the Florieu, Great Ocean Road, Ballarat, Melbourne, & round the coast to Bemboka, then home. Almost 4 weeks in total, & somewhere about 4,500 k's.
If any of you know of any "must see"s, I would be grateful if you would tell me about them, as well as any top spots (Particularly low cost!) to stay. We will be bringing a tent. Hmmm, 4 weeks of stuff for 4 people + camping gear in a Bellett boot! - Challenge!
Should be a great road trip. :D
Thanks in advance, and cheers
Matt. ;)

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
hi Farmer, just went to submitt a detailed itinary down the Florieau for you and it disappeared into cyberspace. :cry: disappointing !! But here's the abreviated version, hopefully it sends.

Set off from Birdwood, south to Hahndorf (good baverian lunch). Cross the freeway (the quick way to Melbourne) Through Echunga and Meadows, down Brookman Rd. past Kuitpo forest. (great photo shoots with sedan). End of Brookman rd. ( McLaren Vale, home of great wines) turn left to Victor Habour. Pt. Elliot also great view of the southern ocean. Then head east to Goolwa, mouth of the ailing Murry River, then south east along the Coorong, Great Ocean road ( a 100 mile estuary ). Wildlife, pelicans, dunes, surf...and great white wines. Kingston or Robe has good accomo. Turn inland to Mt. Gambier, home of commercial forestry, pines as far as the eye can see. Also great beef and steak country. Across the Border to Vic. More pines !!

Yours is a truly amazimg journey Farmer. Doris and your people are always welcome to stay at GTtoo's for the big weekend.

B. 8-)

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
G'day B.,
I had that dissapearing post experience one night, I think caused by a momentary satellite dropout - made me say aaarrrrrghh!!
Thanks for the detailed route planner mate, it's good to know which way will take us past the best scenery. We plan to check out lots of nature with the kids; And also for the kind offer. We are already booked at Adelaide Shores, though. Perhaps we could slip round for a cuppa? I'll bring cake!
Going to check the map again, now. Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Thanks again,
Matt.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:45 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
There's some rumour-mongering that some of us early-arrivals (including me, who lives here...!) might be thinking of doing the Birdwood Mill National Motor Museum on Friday. The reason being that you can spend easily a couple of hours there if you're a car nut, but on the Sunday of the Bay to Birdwood there will be a full 1,800 OTHER cars to look at! It's pretty hard to get to see the Museum on that day!

So if anyone's up for that one, let us know.

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Would that be a mandatory Bellett run to Birdwood ?? (you know.. test run maybe) Great idea, as I've got friday off but it was originally intended to do a spit and polish on the GT. Then again, !!??, that shouldn't take all day.

You're messin' with my head, Dave !!

B.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
sounds like a good idea dave , gtoo, prob wont get much of chance to look inside museum on bay to birdwood day sun to busy looking at cars on run count me in , as im coming from tassie was planing to get to adelaide on friday , about mid day mite swing over to birdwood do that first , could prob meet you bellett drivers , at museum ill be in my 68 gt , cheers rod from tassie let me now , sounds like a plan , bellets rule the world

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am

Car(s): 1968 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe (Polynesian Blue), 1974 Datsun 240z, 1970 Datsun Fairlady SRL311, 1966 Prince Skyline
I'm in, sounds like a plan :)

R.

1971 S30 Datsun 240Z - Race car
1972 S30 Datsun 240Z

For more info, articles and pictures visit http://GarageofAwesome.com.au

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:01 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmm, sounds good, I'll just have to see how we travel. I mentioned it to Gary C. (no computer) and he said count him in - he was thinking of a separate visit for the same reason. He was thinking of trailering his car, but will now probably travel with us & drive the Bellett. (Much better - would be embarrasing for it to arrive on a trailer!)
Cheers!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Hey Matt
looking forward to hooking up at Nats again luv to meet "she who must be obeyed"
have a safe trip in "Doris " Also hope to see you at Coona 2010

till the nats Ken & Carol from Qld.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 am

Obeyed, cherished,and squeezed tightly! :lol:
Oooooooh, Coona. Sounds like theres some planning in the planning! Mates, wherever you make it, we'll drive there. Doris would drive to Hobart I reckon to catch up with her mates! ;)
(Name comes from her second owner, of 38 years)
A quote from Doris (of Tamworth) to her sister, who had just related that she had had 8 cars in the time Doris had the Bellett - "If you had bought a Bellett when I did, you wouldn't have needed all them other cars!" :P Loved that car!

Likewise looking forward - just 36 more sleeps.............. 8-)

Tracy & Matt, Rhys & Milli.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]