View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Bellett Nationals "Honour Roll". 

Hi all.
Dave and myself called this thread "Honour Roll" as we didn't really know what else to call it!
We have decided to make a list of every trophy winner for each catergory at the Bellett Nationals since the event began in 2006. (That is, the "new" nationals. The original nationals from the early-mid 90's aren't included, as we don't have those details).

We have photos of all the trophy winning cars (i think...), and they will be added to this thread as we find them!
All of the below awards have been sponsored by various generous companies, and we all thank them for their fantastic support.
Cheers.
Brett.

2006, Corowa NSW.

Best Bellett GT - Ben Barker.
Attachment:
147 - Ben Barker's Bellett GT.JPG
147 - Ben Barker's Bellett GT.JPG [ 77.34 KiB | Viewed 49005 times ]

Best Bellett Sedan - George Cole.
Attachment:
052 - George Cole's 1965 Bellett sedan.JPG
052 - George Cole's 1965 Bellett sedan.JPG [ 61.28 KiB | Viewed 49006 times ]

Best Other Isuzu - Brett Wild, Wasp.
Attachment:
203 - Brett Wild's Wasp.JPG
203 - Brett Wild's Wasp.JPG [ 97 KiB | Viewed 49003 times ]

Encouragement Award - Matthew Smith, Bellett Sedan.
Pic coming

"Spirit of the Nationals" Award - Lindsay & Chris Kahler, Bellett Sedan.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 38 - Bellett sedan - Lindsay Kahler.JPG
Bellett Nationals 38 - Bellett sedan - Lindsay Kahler.JPG [ 91.94 KiB | Viewed 49004 times ]

2007, Corowa NSW.

Best Bellett GT - Barry Magor.
Attachment:
149 - Barry Magor's Bellett GT.JPG
149 - Barry Magor's Bellett GT.JPG [ 102.88 KiB | Viewed 49001 times ]

Best Bellett Sedan - Garry Smith.
Attachment:
041 - Garry and Monnique's Bellett Deluxe (local version).JPG
041 - Garry and Monnique's Bellett Deluxe (local version).JPG [ 69.59 KiB | Viewed 48872 times ]

Best Other Isuzu - Brett Wild, Wasp.
Attachment:

People's Choice - Bev Cole, Bellett Sedan.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 40 - Bellett sedan - George and Bev Cole.JPG
Bellett Nationals 40 - Bellett sedan - George and Bev Cole.JPG [ 90.56 KiB | Viewed 48996 times ]

Encouragement Award - Dave Carey, Bellett GT.
(Found Uncle Toby's factory when Ross and I were cruising around the local area!)
Attachment:
177 - Dave at Uncle Toby's.JPG
177 - Dave at Uncle Toby's.JPG [ 69.77 KiB | Viewed 48870 times ]

"Spirit of the Nationals" Award - Gary Carter, Bellett Sedan.
pic coming

2008, Corowa NSW.

Best Bellett GT - Lindsay & Chris Kahler.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 37 - Bellett GT - Lindsay Kahler.JPG
Bellett Nationals 37 - Bellett GT - Lindsay Kahler.JPG [ 90.64 KiB | Viewed 48992 times ]

Runner Up Bellett GT - Brett Wild.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 63 - Bellett GT - Brett Wild.JPG
Bellett Nationals 63 - Bellett GT - Brett Wild.JPG [ 64.55 KiB | Viewed 48867 times ]

Best Bellett Sedan - Garry Smith.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 43 - Bellett Deluxe sedan - Gary Smith.JPG
Bellett Nationals 43 - Bellett Deluxe sedan - Gary Smith.JPG [ 73.71 KiB | Viewed 48989 times ]

Runner Up Bellett Sedan - Bev Cole.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 40 - Bellett sedan - George and Bev Cole.JPG
Bellett Nationals 40 - Bellett sedan - George and Bev Cole.JPG [ 90.56 KiB | Viewed 48996 times ]

Best Other Isuzu - Tony Cole, Wasp.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 47 - Wasp - George & Tony Cole.JPG
Bellett Nationals 47 - Wasp - George & Tony Cole.JPG [ 79.22 KiB | Viewed 48991 times ]

Runner Up Other Isuzu - Brett Wild, Wasp.
Attachment:

People's Choice - Lindsay & Chris Kahler, Bellett GT.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 37 - Bellett GT - Lindsay Kahler.JPG [ 90.64 KiB | Viewed 48992 times ]

Encouragement Award - Okka & Trish Kyte, Wasp.
Attachment:
Bellett Nationals 31 - Wasp - Alan and Trish.JPG
Bellett Nationals 31 - Wasp - Alan and Trish.JPG [ 91.73 KiB | Viewed 48988 times ]

"Spirit of the Nationals" Award - Dave & Joe Watts.
pic coming

2009, Adelaide SA.

Best Bellett GT - Brett Wild.
Attachment:
015 - Brett Wild's GT.JPG
015 - Brett Wild's GT.JPG [ 106.17 KiB | Viewed 48864 times ]

Runner Up Bellett GT - Lindsay & Chris Kahler.
Attachment:

Best Bellett Sedan - Dennis Smith.
pic coming

Runner Up Bellett Sedan - Ross Smith.
pic coming

Best Other Isuzu - Craig Fordham, Bellett's "Cousin", the Mitsubishi Colt
(as organiser for the 2009 Nationals, I knew my ex-Bruce Ruston Wasp would be the only 'other' Isuzu there. It's original, but I would be embarrassed to accept a trophy for it as the only vehicle in it's class. Hence I made the decision to allow Craig's Mitsubishi Colt into the event. He is one of only a handful of Colt owners in Australia and goes through a lot with very little support to keep these cars on the road! And while there are few Belletts, there are fewer Colts, so the likelihood of a Colt Nationals is not likely.... Also, someone was telling me one of the original Bellett car clubs started as the "Bellett-Colt Car Club", so really he's just coming home! Well done Craig! Photo taken on the Bay to Birdwood run by an official photographer. Cheers, Dave.
Attachment:
Mitsubishi Colt.jpg
Mitsubishi Colt.jpg [ 77.05 KiB | Viewed 48985 times ]

Runner Up Other Isuzu - Anthony Symons - Bellett's "Offspring" Holden-Isuzu TX Gemini coupe.
Antus is a founding member of Bellett.net and fixes stuff when it breaks. His dedication to Isuzu is unwavering and his DOHC EFI sleeper Gemini-with-wheelcovers is testament to that. His was the only Gemini allowed in this Bellett-specific event.
Attachment:
013 - Ant's Gemini.JPG
013 - Ant's Gemini.JPG [ 137.92 KiB | Viewed 48989 times ]

People's Choice - Paul Harvey, Bellett GT.
pic coming

Encouragement Award - Chris Browning, Bellett Sedan.
pic coming

"Spirit of the Nationals" Award - Paul Harvey, Bellett GT (Specially awarded by selection of Ike Treloar).
pic coming

Please note the pictures are of the specific vehicles that won their category, however the photos may not be from the year in question! Most cars have come to more than one event.

I have pics of almost all the award winners.... just got to find them all. This is the first batch. Stay tuned. Same Bellett time, same Bellett channel.

Last edited by PR91 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Added more photos

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:39 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
great bellett nats great day by all the judging should be readdressed tell me the difference between modified and standard cars should have two catergaries , some believe cars that are close to show room cond to modified , eg ,some cars had extras that didnt come off assemly line ,eg interier mods seats, steroes,speakers etc, exhaust flared gards etc wat do people who judge these want to see more standard looking or fully modified to semi modified ,,some were mod some were stand looking lets cee wat happens next year ?

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hi Rod,

The judging is not based around standard or modified but the intended purpose of the car and the detailing, fit and finish and cleanliness therein.

Eg; in previous years we've judged Brett's race car as it has attended the events. Although the boot is devoid of basically anything, it's 100% clean and tidy so it gets good points, however there are cracks in the paint on the bootlid where the spoiler bolts up, so that's a negative.

Cars are judged as presented, so floor mats are not lifted nor are seat covers. Therefore a car with brand new carpet might score similarly to a car with rubbish carpet but neat and tidy floormats covering the affected area. In fact, new carpet that is poorly fitted may score worse than original carpet that has a hole hiding under a clean floor mat.

Other cars that have non-original seats won't be marked down, unless of course that seat is rubbish - again it's about fit, finish, detailing and cleanliness etc.

I didn't invent the judging and don't know if this is how it's done elsewhere. The main problem is that the guys who judged all the cars can't judge their own cars; Ross and I did that and tried to keep the judging consistent with what the other guys were doing.

In the past Brett's car has come extremely close to winning the best GT award. I didn't have a close enough 'judging eye' on your car to see where points may have been lost or gained (Brett lost points for the alignment of his bonnet - have you seen that thing?!? It may as well be on sideways! But clearly he picked up points elsewhere), however I was just basking in the joy of seeing a 1969 GT next to a 1969 Deluxe!

Actually I'd seen Paul Harvey's car (31P) up close prior to the Nationals and thought that he could have a very good chance of taking it out, but it wasn't to be on the day, while Lindsay Kahler's green GT that won last year has done a trip around Tassie and about 10,000 miles (literally) since last year, so the level of detailing just wasn't there. A 2000 mile trip from Maryborough probably didn't help!

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

to briefly explain why the judging is done as a "as presented" system instead of a separate "standard vs modified", read on...

the simple reason is that what defines "standard" and what defines "modified" on a Bellett??
we are all still learning just how many little changes were made on them over the years (and some of us have been heavily involved with Bellett's for 20 years and more), and how can it be proven these days that said-item on a car is the same it's had for over 40 years, making it "standard"??
given that a totally original car that has never had any changes done to it is obviously a standard car, does that mean that a fully restored car is "standard" too, as 99% of the time where Bellett's are concerned due to the rarity of good quality parts that would be suitable for a fully resto'd car, they can have a few minor parts that would originally have been on another Bellett model. in this instance, does that mean the car in question is "standard" still, or is it now "modified"??
2 cases in point were found many years ago with 2 cars. the first was a beautiful EARLY sedan at an early nationals... it was restored, but had LATE model "Bellett" script badges on it, and the judges felt that it was now "modified"... the other was a fully restored GT that would have won the standard trophy hands down, but the ONLY non-original part/s were the mag wheels it had fitted. again, the judges felt that was "modified", but it didn't stand a chance against the other really "modified" GT's there...
putting this in context of recent years, i'll compare my own GT and Lindsay's beautiful green example. as my car would be classifed as "modified" (seats, brake booster, the GT-R style front, boot mounted battery, non-standard colour, etc.), Lindsay's car would be almost "standard" with alot of restored original parts... except for the colour. would his car be "modified or still "standard"?? this then poses another problem of the defining line of how "modified" is "modified"?? another example is the very nice early sedan that was restored by George a few years ago, and is now owned by Eddy. it has every little piece on it that was there when it was built, and all are beautifully re-done, but instead of the bumper bars and grille being chromed, George re-painted them in silver. does that make an otherwise completely standard car a modified car, or is is still standard??

personally, i think it's much more important to keep as many Belletts/Wasps/Flo's, etc. alive and well, even if that means using parts from other Bellett/Wasp/Flo models, and added to this, it's just as important to encourage everyone to look after their cars, make them the nicest possible car they can be and award the owners of these cars, instead of awarding trophies to cars that obviously don't get the same care and attention just because they are "standard".

extending on this, who would be the 1,2 or 10 people that would then decide just which car is "standard" and which is "modified", and also, would a car that is modified in every area, but not presented in a clean and tidy manner be a "better" car for judging than a car that has a few small mods but is presented as a beautiful car?? the whole juding system then becomes a minefield that will only lead to arguements that we should avoid.

basicly, we just want the nationals to be a fun weekend that does away with the usual politics that seems to plague the car movement in most other circles.
hope this helps!!
cheers.
brett.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 am

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Hi Rob
Congrats to the Judges for doing a great job at Adelaide
As to "standard or modified" please define "Standard".
I personally did not see 1 standard car at the event all the vehicles had radial tyres different wheels non standard radios & the list goes on .
I thought the Nationals was about a like minded group of peaple getting together to honour the vehicle that they own " modified or standard "
To my way of thinking a " standard vehicle " would be fitted with original factory fitted gear eg. zero milage, 640 x 13 Dunsafe tyres no power assist brakes ,rubber mats , no seat belts pre 1967, lap belts in GT version etc.
The Bellett Colt Car Club was a Qld club of wich I was proud to be the president & a member of for several years.
If the Nationals is about trophies is the person that takes his/her vehicle into a panel shop & throws $50,000.00 on the counter and says fix it more entitled to a trophy than the person that spend countless hundreds of manhours,skinned knuckles, sleepless nights restoring the vehicle to the best of their ability with whatever parts "standard or modified" at their disposal.
Myself & my long suffering wife Carol have owned 44 Belletts including Sedans GT's a B-Series & the everlovable wasps and am yet to own or even see a " standard "car
As I stated previous I think the judges have done a fabulous job for the past four years & as part of the organising team for Coonabarabran 2010 Nationals , if other people have a fair & proven judging system that is as good as the system now Iam willing to listen to it .
The Nationals in my opinion is about the vehicle being kept alive whether " standard or modified " not about who can throw the most money at of fit the biggest motor to or the widest wheels to, it is about the vehicle and the dilligent owner/s that spend countless hours washing , polishing etc so as to present the vehicle the best that it can be presented.
Maybe every car owner should get a trophy for keeping a great car alive the best way they can after all isn't that what we are all about.
So bring all your cars "standard or modified" to Coona.
Cheers Ken

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:52 am

some of my opions have got people fumming keep them coming , at least they are using bellett .net cheers

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 am

ps i love to sturr the pot cheers rod

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:29 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
All power to yez, judges! I don't envy your collective task, spending heaps of time poring over our little cars, while the rest of us have a yarn - and all for no charge! You guys rock! :D
I feel we all do get a trophy - the medallions for attending! They're cherrished, & I'm proud to have a 4 year set! 8-) Thank-you to all who agonise over their scoring.
:o Extra bonus, I think each year we've had more cars than the one previous. So good!
Prep those cars for Coona - start now!! Bring 'em no matter what the condition - I got a trophy one year for driving a car in "that" condition that far with confidence! (encouragement) It helped that it had been a daily driver a few months previous. (I still own it & will never sell it - It's a "never wears out" car)
:idea: Maybe I should bring it to coona. Hmmm, might need a driver.
Cheers & see you there,
Matt.

It's all good Rod. Thanks for bringing a rare model from "overseas" - it was my 'peoples choice'
See ya next year!

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:35 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Gotta stir the pot sometimes!

Prefer to stir the pot and get a discussion going than visiting our creation to find a Forum ghost town!

Keep up the good work!

Keep yourselves nice!

Best Other Isuzu - Dave's Florian! Had it bloody landed here a week earlier!

Ghahhahahahahaha cheers kiddies.

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
no malice meant with what was said but full marks to all ,it is a love hate r/ship with Isuzu,s
Matt has one that won,t die we had a B-series 4 door that Iwanted to kill every 2nd day
always breaking down .
would be good to see the beast again Matt.

Hopefully the judges will get a fair go at judging at Coona as they have the right to mingle also.
Have spoken to the judges & a few changes will be implemented at Coona to make it esier for
all concerned.

Cheers till Coona
ken

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
So where are the "Bees" now? I didn't even know they existed until Dave (S.A.) set me straight! Rare commodity!
Better post some pics of the old gold - might qualify for "Rattbellett" status!

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:08 am

Hello, all. A new year & thoughts turn to Coonabarrabran. Can we have a thread for this years nats? I have booked rooms for ourselves & Gary C. yesterday. This made 10 rooms booked & 12 left. The guy would like to hold the whole place for us, but may get early bookers for other purposes soon. He asked if I could tell my mates, So my tip is - Book soon!! The place is a bargain - $92 / night for our 4 bed cabin, linnen supplied. Sweet!
I'm excited already!
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 am

just a quick post with the trophy winners and a pic from the 2010 nationals.
winners are....

Attachment:
DSCF0761a.jpg
DSCF0761a.jpg [ 324.32 KiB | Viewed 48707 times ]

front of pic, left:
Geoff and Christine Moller - People's Choice.
front of pic, right:
Jim and Cheryl Grice - "Spirit of the Nationals" Award.

rear row, L-R:
Alan and Trish Kyte - Best Wasp.
Steve Thompson - Best Bellett sedan.
Brett Wild - Runner Up Bellett Sedan.
Gavin Porthouse - Runner Up People's Choice and Encouragement Award.
Dave Carey - Best Florian.
Lindsay Kahler - Runner Up Bellett GT.
Ken and Carol Bloor - Best Bellett GT.

pics of each individual car to follow soon!
cheers.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 am

Car(s): 65 and 66 sedan
Great pic Brett, thanks for getting it up so quickly!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:03 am

never got time to put more pics on from the 2010 nats, and now the 2011 edition has been run and won....

anyway, here's the 2011 trophy winners:
Attachment:
077a.jpg
077a.jpg [ 346.36 KiB | Viewed 48572 times ]

L-R, front row:
Christine Moller - "Spirit of the Nationals" Award. (trophy was presented to the entire Moller family and represented by Christine and her very nice sedan for this pic).
Greg Moller - People's Choice. (for the first time in nats history, there was a tie for this award.... and it was a 5 way tie at that! a few laughs and some light hearted fun sorted out the winner.)
Kerry Bruty - Encouragement Award.
L-R, back row:
Gary Smith - Runner Up Bellett sedan.
Steve Thompson - Best Bellett sedan.
Dave Maurice - Runner Up Bellett GT.
Lewis Bolton - Best Bellett GT.
Brett Wild - Runner Up other Isuzu.
Geoff Moller - Best other Isuzu.

many, many thanks to "Leadfoot Liz" for the excellent job in taking these roof-top picsl!! :D

enjoy.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Looking through this page and seeing the Colt reminded me of the Thompson's Wreckers of Sheparton Colt back in the 60's I guess. They shoe-horned a 396 Chev V8 into it and went drag racing. Easy you say to build a drag car. No, this car was street registered and driven to the events at the time. They said they built it from parts out of their wrecking yard. (of course)

To handle (?) the power and torque, they did increase the wheelbase by building a sub-chassis which extended the wheelbase forward.

A sight to see, thundering down the track. Anybody else remember this car ?

glenn
:lol:

Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:52 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Yes ,Glenn, I remember it. Are there any pics?
KB

Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
I don't have any Pics but i guess in the time there would have been lots of them in magazines etc. To reduce clutter i have chucked out a lot of stuff and my wife says not enough.

glenn

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): not enough!
2012 RESULTS...CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL

BEST GT.....LEWIS BOLTON

BEST GT RUNNER UP.......GREG & LIZZIE MOLLER

BEST SEDAN.....STEVE & PEGGY THOMPSON

BEST SEDAN RUNNER UP.......ALAN & TRISH KYTE

BEST OTHER......JIM & CHERYL GRICE

BEST OTHER RUNNER UP....MATTHEW SMITH

PEOPLES CHOICE......GREG & LIZZIE MOLLER